* booklet set up
       [not found] <mailman.780.1196952005.4317.ntg-context@ntg.nl>
@ 2007-12-06 22:10 ` Vyatcheslav Yatskovsky
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Vyatcheslav Yatskovsky @ 2007-12-06 22:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context-request@ntg.nl

Hello,

I'm creating a textbook as a booklet (two A5 per A4), and have difficulties.

1) If I use imposition command \setuparranging, then Luatex doesn't process references. I know, there are workarounds, but I prefer to create A5 pages and then impose them using nice Acrobat plugin. However, I don't know how to make Luatex to process left and right pages differently (for future imposing). If I set "left margin", then it is really left through the document, but I need it to be on the right every second page, and vice versa. How to achieve it?

(I tried 'mirrored' option in \setuppapersize, and got funny result) ;)

2) I was always scared by explanation of \showlayout on texshow:

"Horizontal: (if singleside then outside is at right and inside is at left)
===========
width => width of text area
  middle: automatic calculation consider A) params
  fit: automatic calculation consider A)+B) params
  dimension: cutspace should be 0 and is calculated according to backspace

A) params: (\paperwidth=\backspace+\makeupwidth+\cutspace)
backspace => width of inner margin
cutspace => width of outer margin (if 0 then = backspace!)
"...

 and so on. It looks like a program, not manual, and I never understood it, despite it explains very important concept, missed on  Wiki -- 'fit' and 'middle' options. Can someone throw a light on these?

Best regards,
Vyatcheslav

* Re: booklet set up
@ 2007-12-06 23:14   ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2007-12-06 23:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, 7 Dec 2007, Vyatcheslav Yatskovsky wrote:

> 2) I was always scared by explanation of \showlayout on texshow:
>
> "Horizontal: (if singleside then outside is at right and inside is at left)
> ===========
> width => width of text area
>  middle: automatic calculation consider A) params
>  fit: automatic calculation consider A)+B) params
>  dimension: cutspace should be 0 and is calculated according to backspace
>
> A) params: (\paperwidth=\backspace+\makeupwidth+\cutspace)
> backspace => width of inner margin
> cutspace => width of outer margin (if 0 then = backspace!)
> "...
>
> and so on. It looks like a program, not manual, and I never understood it, despite it explains very important concept, missed on  Wiki -- 'fit' and 'middle' options. Can someone throw a light on these?

There are some nice examples in the context manual. Different layout
settings and how the typeset page looks. Also try the t-layout package by
Patrick. It helped me a lot to see how the layout will look like.

Aditya

* Re: booklet set up
@ 2007-12-07 10:53   ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2007-12-07 10:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

2007/12/6, Vyatcheslav Yatskovsky <yatskovsky@gmail.com>:
> Hello,
>
> I'm creating a textbook as a booklet (two A5 per A4), and have difficulties.
>
> 1) If I use imposition command \setuparranging, then Luatex doesn't process references. I know, there are workarounds, but I prefer to create A5 pages and then impose them using nice Acrobat plugin. However, I don't know how to make Luatex to process left and right pages differently (for future imposing). If I set "left margin", then it is really left through the document, but I need it to be on the right every second page, and vice versa. How to achieve it?

What is wrong with

\setuppapersize[A5][A5]
\starttext
\stoptext

> (I tried 'mirrored' option in \setuppapersize, and got funny result) ;)

\setuppapersize is not meant for doubleside layout

> 2) I was always scared by explanation of \showlayout on texshow:
>
> "Horizontal: (if singleside then outside is at right and inside is at left)
> ===========
> width => width of text area
>   middle: automatic calculation consider A) params
>   fit: automatic calculation consider A)+B) params
>   dimension: cutspace should be 0 and is calculated according to backspace
>
> A) params: (\paperwidth=\backspace+\makeupwidth+\cutspace)
> backspace => width of inner margin
> cutspace => width of outer margin (if 0 then = backspace!)
> "...
>
>  and so on. It looks like a program, not manual, and I never understood it, despite it
> explains very important concept, missed on  Wiki -- 'fit' and 'middle' options. Can
> someone throw a light on these?
>
> Best regards,
> Vyatcheslav

You can also create a second document and impose your booklet in this
document, I can send such a file from me.

Wolfgang

* Re: booklet set up
@ 2007-12-07 11:29   ` Willi Egger
From: Willi Egger @ 2007-12-07 11:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Vyatcheslav

Humble I am  not yet using Luatex...

Still, the problem with not processing references coud be related to
the utility files. If you process a document with \setuparranging
more than once, you loose the correct information in those files.
If you want to produce a booklet you could say

\setuppapersize[A5][A4]

%\setuparranging[2UP]

\starttext
\stoptext

Run texexex with the arranging switched off.
Run texexec once with the arranging switched on.

Willi

On Dec 6, 2007, at 11:10 PM, Vyatcheslav Yatskovsky wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm creating a textbook as a booklet (two A5 per A4), and have
> difficulties.
>
> 1) If I use imposition command \setuparranging, then Luatex doesn't
> process references. I know, there are workarounds, but I prefer to
> create A5 pages and then impose them using nice Acrobat plugin.
> However, I don't know how to make Luatex to process left and right
> pages differently (for future imposing). If I set "left margin",
> then it is really left through the document, but I need it to be on
> the right every second page, and vice versa. How to achieve it?
>
> (I tried 'mirrored' option in \setuppapersize, and got funny
> result) ;)
>

> 2) I was always scared by explanation of \showlayout on texshow:
>
> "Horizontal: (if singleside then outside is at right and inside is
> at left)
> ===========
> width => width of text area
>   middle: automatic calculation consider A) params
>   fit: automatic calculation consider A)+B) params
>   dimension: cutspace should be 0 and is calculated according to
> backspace
>
> A) params: (\paperwidth=\backspace+\makeupwidth+\cutspace)
> backspace => width of inner margin
> cutspace => width of outer margin (if 0 then = backspace!)
> "...
>
>  and so on. It looks like a program, not manual, and I never
> understood it, despite it explains very important concept, missed
> on  Wiki -- 'fit' and 'middle' options. Can someone throw a light
> on these?
>
> Best regards,
> Vyatcheslav

> ntg-context
> wiki     : http://contextgarden.net
> _____________

BOEDE
Book and Electronic Document Engineering
Willi Egger
w.egger@boede.nl
KvK 17138708

* Re: booklet set up
@ 2007-12-07 15:33     ` Vyatcheslav Yatskovsky
From: Vyatcheslav Yatskovsky @ 2007-12-07 15:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wolfgang Schuster; +Cc: ntg-context-request@ntg.nl

Hello Wolfgang,

> What is wrong with

> \setuppapersize[A5][A5]
> \setuppagenumbering[alternative=doublesided]
> \starttext
> \stoptext

Nothing wrong.  I just didn't look at pagenumbering for this, my imagination doesn't stretch so far :))

Thank you!

--
Best regards,
Vyatcheslav Yatskovsky