From: Rik Kabel <ConTeXt@rik.users.panix.com>
To: ntg-context@ntg.nl
Subject: Re: How do I get rid of the ct and st ligatures in EBGaramond?
Date: Wed, 2 Dec 2020 14:22:26 -0500	[thread overview]

On 12/2/2020 13:34, Hans Hagen wrote:
> On 12/2/2020 5:54 PM, Joey McCollum wrote:
>> If you're using Octavio Pardo's version of EB Garamond
>> (https://github.com/octaviopardo/EBGaramond12
>> <https://github.com/octaviopardo/EBGaramond12>), then these ligatures
>> are covered (along with the Th ligature) by the "dlig" (discretionary
>> ligatures) feature, so you'll need to disable that. Unfortunately,
>> this will also disable the Th ligature. This is a known, open issue
>> for the font: https://github.com/octaviopardo/EBGaramond12/issues/20
>> <https://github.com/octaviopardo/EBGaramond12/issues/20>.
> One of these examples where opensource fails ...
>
> https://github.com/octaviopardo/EBGaramond12
> https://github.com/georgd/EB-Garamond
>
> A while ago I replaced AB on my machine in oirdert to test some issue
> so now I have to replace it again? Which one is the real one? Which
> one is the original? Which one are we supposed to support / configure?
>
> \definefontfeature[whatever][default][rlig=yes]
> % \definefontfeature[whatever][default][rlig=yes,dlig=yes] % those st
> and ct ligs
>
> \definefontfamily [english] [rm] [EB Garamond] [features=whatever]
> \definefontfamily [english] [mm] [Stix Two Math]
>
> \setupbodyfont[english]
>
> \starttext
>     fi fl ffi ffl ct st
> \stoptext
>
> Using the ones pointed from google fonts.
>
> Hans

Hello all,

I am the one who posted issue #20 for the font back in January 2018. The
report simply states that there is no way to get dlig without also
getting hlig, and includes an easily reproducible demonstration (using
LibreOffice on the assumption that it is more accessible for testing).
Since then, there has been a PR submitted. Crickets. No action.

As to which version of the font should be used, Georg Duffner
transferred stewardship of the font to Octavio Pardo in 2017 or so.
Pardo added support for faces beyond roman and italic (bold, semibold,
extrabold). Some work was done a couple of years ago to support variable
fonts, but nothing that can be used has yet come out of that effort. To
a casual observer, the development and maintenance appears to be
abandoned. I am sure that many would be happy to see work on this font
resume, but projects like this are difficult to take over and support is
thin.

So, if you can find that satisfies your requirements as it is, use it.
The Duffner versions (pre-Pardo) do not have this particular issue, and
if you do not need emboldened faces or other updates Pardo may have
implemented, that should work. Or look elsewhere. Although the range and
licensing of EB Garamond was certainly attractive, there are plenty of
Garamonds in the world.

--
Rik