* ConTeXt Support Package for Notepad++.
@ 2007-08-13  5:01 Idris Samawi Hamid
From: Idris Samawi Hamid @ 2007-08-13  5:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context
  Cc: Instanton, Vitaliy Dovgan, Hector Palacios, yatskovsky, Zhichu Chen

Dear fellow gangsters,

At long last, I have completed a ConTeXt setup package for Notepad++. See

http://wiki.contextgarden.net/images/8/87/Npp_ConTeXt.zip

Some background:

I come from the WinEdt world originally. However WinEdt, while a fantastic
TeX editor (perhaps the best), has a couple of problems:

a) Geared towards LaTeX;
b) No utf-8 support present or immediately planned (at least when I was
using it);
c) No Right-to-left support present or immediately planned (at least when
I was using it);

a) is not really a problem; one could easily configure WinEdt to be
ConTeXt editor, but b) and c) were showstoppers.

Scite is nice, but seems to me to be a real regression when compared to
WinEdt's features.

Finally I came across Notepad++, hereafter called Npp (actually it was
Hans who told me about it first). This is one amazing text editor. Like
Scite, it is based on Scintilla. It is a programmer's editor, but for a
non-programmer user like myself it is amazingly easy to configure. Like
scite, it has utf-8 support. It also has global utf-8 support (as opposed
to local utf-8 support which scintilla does not support).

Npp is just loaded with features. It supports plugins, and some of the
available plugins are now indispensable to me. For more information about
Npp go to

http://notepad-plus.sourceforge.net/uk/site.htm
==================================

For ConTeXt, I have implemented

1) Syntax highlighting. There are six kinds:

a) \start-stops
b) TeX primitives
c) setups
d) comments
e) sectioning
f) general ConTeXt commands
g) operator arguments
h) numbers

2) Folding

a) Since discovering folding, my efficiency in writing long documents has
really increased. All \start-stops are foldable, and you can easily add
your own in the User-Defined-Language dialog; just select "ConTeXt" and
you can edit all entries.

Fellow gangster Wolfgang Schuster has provided a small module,
t-startstops, which converts section headings like
\chapter into \startchapter-\stopchapter, etc. You can add more. Look at
the files t-startstop.tex and startstop.tex.

NOTE: Hans will eventually implement official support for startstops, and
the syntax will in all likelihood be different than the one used here
(\startpart[title=,ref=]).

3) Auto completion. There is a notepad++ api file context.api, which has a
list of perhaps all english ConTeXt commands. From the scite properties
files you can find more keyword for your your own language and roll your
own version. The nice thing is that Npp has a sorting utility so you can
easily add your keywords and alphabetically sort them into your own api
list.

4) ConTeXt utilities.

a) The Run menu mimics the one in Hans's distribution of Scite, and mostly
uses the same shortcuts. You can add more by pressing F5 and saving your
command, which will allow you to define a shortcut.

I deleted a few utilities that come with the default Npp setup but which
did not seem relevant to context. If you want them back just look at the
original shortcuts.xml file and copy the ones you want.

A few nice tricks are there. For example,

\input file.tex

After selecting "file.tex" you can run "open file" and Npp will open
file.tex for you. From selected text, you can also do a Google search ,
wiki search. Perhaps we could add a ConTeXt wiki search.... next version
perhaps.

b) Npp comes with a Console plugin, NppExec, which allows you to run
scripts. Most of the Run commands have been implemented as scripts in
NppExec. Here you can play around with the commands, test different
options etc.

5. Integrated Explorer plugin. This is one of favorite tools. I have just
added some tex-related filters

Both NppExec and the Explorer are dockable. They can also be docked into
one another outside of the main editor, separately outside, or separately
inside. You'll have lots of fun with these two.

6. Color. I have implemented a color theme that is easier on the eyes than
the default pure white background. It makes use of four shades of DADADA.
For non-TeX languages you may need to tweak the settings a bit in Settings
> Styler Configurator.

7. I have removed most of the languages from the Language menu, but you
can bring back any language you need from
Settings > Preferences > Language Menu.

8) The Shortcut Mapper has been slightly changed: Ctrl-Shift-Z does undo
now. shortcut.xml controls this.

9) Added four functions to the context menu (right-click that is):

Split lines,
Join Lines,
Text Direction RTL
Text Direction LTR

=========================
Nearly everything above is easily configurable. I could not implement
support for non-startstop folding with sectioning like \chapter etc.
because that would mean compiling the scintilla lexer, something I'm not
interested in doing. If anyone knows how to do lexer programming and is
interested, feel free;-)
=========================

This package depends on Npp 4.2, so if you already have Npp then upgrade
to the latest version.

The documentation.bat file is based on code from Adrian Drury. Eventually
it may be replaced with the mtxrun utility.

I offer the package to the community but I am no OS guru so I cannot
promise any support. OTOH please do make suggestions for improvement.

Finally, I need a volunteer to post this on the wiki and to update the
Text Editor page.

Enjoy!

Best wishes
Idris

--
Professor Idris Samawi Hamid
Department of Philosophy

* Re: ConTeXt Support Package for Notepad++.
@ 2007-08-13  5:05 ` Idris Samawi Hamid
From: Idris Samawi Hamid @ 2007-08-13  5:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, 12 Aug 2007 23:01:37 -0600, Idris Samawi Hamid
<ishamid@colostate.edu> wrote:

> It also has global utf-8 support (as opposed to local utf-8 support
> which scintilla does not support).

It also has global bidirectional support (as opposed to local
bidirectional support which scintilla does not support).

@ 2007-08-13  7:54 ` Steffen Wolfrum
From: Steffen Wolfrum @ 2007-08-13  7:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 13.08.2007 um 07:01 schrieb Idris Samawi Hamid:

> Finally, I need a volunteer to post this on the wiki and to update the
> Text Editor page.

Maybe there is an another volunteer to port it to Mac OS X ;o(

Looks really very useful!

Steffen