* overlay
@ 2014-11-22 20:32 John Kitzmiller
From: John Kitzmiller @ 2014-11-22 20:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Given rectangles with text:

\starttext
Before:\\
\startMPcode
  draw unitsquare xscaled 2cm yscaled 1cm;
\stopMPcode
\\
After:\\
\startMPcode
  for i=0 upto 1:
    draw unitsquare scaled 1cm xshifted i*cm;
  endfor;
\stopMPcode
\stoptext

How can a line be drawn connecting the right edges of the rectangles? I have played with:

\startuniqueMPgraphic{line}
  path a;
  a:=(0,0)--(0,3cm);
  draw a withpen pencircle scaled 3pt withcolor green;
\stopuniqueMPgraphic

\defineoverlay[line][{\uniqueMPgraphic{line}}]

and using it in \framed, but placing the line correctly is elusive.

* Re: overlay
@ 2014-11-24 11:02 ` Peter Rolf
From: Peter Rolf @ 2014-11-24 11:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 22.11.2014 um 21:32 schrieb John Kitzmiller:
> Given rectangles with text:
>
>     \starttext
>     Before:\\
>     \startMPcode
>       draw unitsquare xscaled 2cm yscaled 1cm;
>     \stopMPcode
>     \\
>     After:\\
>     \startMPcode
>       for i=0 upto 1:
>         draw unitsquare scaled 1cm xshifted i*cm;
>       endfor;
>     \stopMPcode
>     \stoptext
>

> How can a line be drawn connecting the right edges of the rectangles? I
> have played with:
>
>     \startuniqueMPgraphic{line}
>       path a;
>       a:=(0,0)--(0,3cm);
>       draw a withpen pencircle scaled 3pt withcolor green;
>     \stopuniqueMPgraphic
>
>     \defineoverlay[line][{\uniqueMPgraphic{line}}]
>

> and using it in \framed, but placing the line correctly is elusive.

Just a quick and dirty solution. The trick is to draw the extra line as
part of the graphic and then fake the boundingbox. This is also limited
to a few centimeter, objects are cut off after you reach that
'invisible' border around the boundingbox.

I would use uniqueMPgraphic with proper parameters for the graphics.
Using overlays is also possible (urcorner OverlayBox), but I see no real
need or benefit to do so.

HTH,  Peter

[-- Attachment #2: test.tex --]
[-- Type: text/x-tex; name="test.tex", Size: 569 bytes --]

\startMPinclusions
  numeric lw; lw:= 1;
  numeric n; n:= 8;
  numeric u; u:= 1cm;
\stopMPinclusions

\starttext
Before:\\
\startMPcode
  pickup pencircle scaled lw;
  draw unitsquare xyscaled (n*u,u);
\stopMPcode
\\
After:\\
\startMPcode
  path p,q;
  pickup pencircle scaled lw;
  p:= unitsquare scaled u;
  for i=0 upto n-1:
      draw p xshifted i*u;
  endfor;
  q:= boundingbox currentpicture;
  draw (urcorner(q) shifted(-.5lw,-.5lw)) -- (urcorner(q) shifted(-.5lw,-.5lw +1.5u));
  setbounds currentpicture to q;
\stopMPcode
\stoptext

* Re: overlay
@ 2014-11-25  5:40 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2014-11-25  5:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Am 22.11.2014 um 21:32 schrieb John Kitzmiller <kitz@inradius.net>:
>
> Given rectangles with text:
>
> \starttext
> Before:\\
> \startMPcode
>   draw unitsquare xscaled 2cm yscaled 1cm;
> \stopMPcode
> \\
> After:\\
> \startMPcode
>   for i=0 upto 1:
>     draw unitsquare scaled 1cm xshifted i*cm;
>   endfor;
> \stopMPcode
> \stoptext
>
> How can a line be drawn connecting the right edges of the rectangles? I have played with:
>
> \startuniqueMPgraphic{line}
>   path a;
>   a:=(0,0)--(0,3cm);
>   draw a withpen pencircle scaled 3pt withcolor green;
> \stopuniqueMPgraphic
>
> \defineoverlay[line][{\uniqueMPgraphic{line}}]
>
> and using it in \framed, but placing the line correctly is elusive.

Look at chapter 5 in the metafun manual.

Wolfgang

* Re: overlay
@ 2014-11-25  0:21 John Kitzmiller
From: John Kitzmiller @ 2014-11-25  0:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

>Am 22.11.2014 um 21:32 schrieb John Kitzmiller:
>> Given rectangles with text:
>>
>>     \starttext
>>     Before:\\
>>     \startMPcode
>>       draw unitsquare xscaled 2cm yscaled 1cm;
>>     \stopMPcode
>>     \\
>>     After:\\
>>     \startMPcode
>>       for i=0 upto 1:
>>         draw unitsquare scaled 1cm xshifted i*cm;
>>       endfor;
>>     \stopMPcode
>>     \stoptext
>>

>> How can a line be drawn connecting the right edges of the rectangles? I
>> have played with:
>>
>>     \startuniqueMPgraphic{line}
>>       path a;
>>       a:=(0,0)--(0,3cm);
>>       draw a withpen pencircle scaled 3pt withcolor green;
>>     \stopuniqueMPgraphic
>>
>>     \defineoverlay[line][{\uniqueMPgraphic{line}}]
>>

>> and using it in \framed, but placing the line correctly is elusive.
>>

>Just a quick and dirty solution. The trick is to draw the extra line as
>part of the graphic and then fake the boundingbox. This is also limited
>to a few centimeter, objects are cut off after you reach that
>'invisible' border around the boundingbox.
>
>I would use uniqueMPgraphic with proper parameters for the graphics.
>Using overlays is also possible (urcorner OverlayBox), but I see no real
>need or benefit to do so.
>

>HTH,  Peter

Yes it helped Peter, thank you. Interesting moves with the mpost bounding box.

I thought I might need more flexibility—overlays—but it has turned out that single mp graphic with labels for the commentary will work for the task.

Thanks again, John