* typescript
@ 2008-04-19 11:06 Antoine Junod
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Antoine Junod @ 2008-04-19 11:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hello, List!

Follownig your recommendations while playing with fonts, I've started
to write one. It's actually very basic but I already have a few
questions. Here is the basic, working stuff I did until now:

\starttypescript[serif][garamondpp]
    \definefontsynonym [GaramondPP-Roman]      [GaramondPremrPro]
    \definefontsynonym [GaramondPP-Bold]       [GaramondPremrPro-Bd]
    \definefontsynonym [GaramondPP-Italic]     [GaramondPremrPro-It]
    \definefontsynonym [GaramondPP-Bold-Italic][GaramondPremrPro-BdIt]
\stoptypescript

If I've understood what I did in that part, I've simply defined alias
for the font file names. What I do not catch is the \starttypescript
line. Is it right to say that the second parameter is the name of the
'class' to which the definitions that follow are linked? Second
question on that part: Is the first argument (serif) a reserved
keyword or not? What's the point of that argument? Third and last
question for that part, in the case, as in here, where the font file
names are easy to remember, is it still needed to create that synonyms
for any reason?

Then, I wrote the [name] part of the typescript, as the following:

\starttypescript[serif][garamondpp][name]
    \definefontsynonym [Serif]                  [GaramondPP-Roman]
    \definefontsynonym [SerifBold]              [GaramondPP-Bold]
    \definefontsynonym [SerifItalic]            [GaramondPP-Italic]
    \definefontsynonym [SerifSlanted]           [SerifItalic]
    \definefontsynonym [SerifBoldItalic]        [GaramondPP-Bold-Italic]
\stoptypescript

If I caught the point of the last argument, it is here to indicate
that what follows links font files to the pre-defined font concept
that are Serif, SerifBold, SerifItalic and so on and so on). Here are
my questions: I've seen in the sources that there were 7 predefined
types in the Serif family: Serif, SerifBold, SerifItalic,
SerifSlanted, SerifBoldItalic and SerifBoldSlanted. What if I have a
font that not only have a Bold face but also a Medium face and a
SemiBold face? Second question: my font do not have a slanted face and
I do not want to have pieces of computer modern in the text because,
by mistake, I typed an \sl switch or something related. To avoid that,
you can see I declared SerifSlanted to be a synonym for
SerifItalic. Is it the way to do that or is it better to directly
define SerifSlanted as a synonym to GaramondPP-Italic (in my case)?

And for the last part of my little type script:

\starttypescript [GaramondPP]
    \definetypeface [GaramondPP][rm][serif][garamondpp][default]
\stoptypescript

That part is for me a beautiful piece of ununderstanding :) First
question: the first argument is the name we will use with the
\usetypescript command. Right? Second question: the first argument of
the \definetypescript is the name that will be used with the
\setupbodyfont call. Is it right? Isn't there any conflict with the
GaramondPP of the \starttypescript and the one of the \definetypeface?
Or do they need to be the same? Other question: how are related the
three following parameters (rm, serif and garamondpp)? And finally,
what's the point of the 'default' argument?

I'm aware that's a huge load of questions. Nothing is urgent but every
replies are welcome, and that will allow me to help others. More
questions will certainly occurs later (certainly related to sizes) but
at first I'll try to better understand all what is above.

Thanks a lot for everything!
A+
-AJ

* Re: typescript
@ 2008-04-19 13:13 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2008-04-19 13:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

Antoine Junod wrote:
> Hello, List!
>
> Follownig your recommendations while playing with fonts, I've started
> to write one. It's actually very basic but I already have a few
> questions. Here is the basic, working stuff I did until now:
>
> \starttypescript[serif][garamondpp]
>     \definefontsynonym [GaramondPP-Roman]      [GaramondPremrPro]
>     \definefontsynonym [GaramondPP-Bold]       [GaramondPremrPro-Bd]
>     \definefontsynonym [GaramondPP-Italic]     [GaramondPremrPro-It]
>     \definefontsynonym [GaramondPP-Bold-Italic][GaramondPremrPro-BdIt]
> \stoptypescript
>
> If I've understood what I did in that part, I've simply defined alias
> for the font file names. What I do not catch is the \starttypescript
> line. Is it right to say that the second parameter is the name of the
> 'class' to which the definitions that follow are linked? Second
> question on that part: Is the first argument (serif) a reserved
> keyword or not? What's the point of that argument? Third and last
> question for that part, in the case, as in here, where the font file
> names are easy to remember, is it still needed to create that synonyms
> for any reason?
>
> Then, I wrote the [name] part of the typescript, as the following:
>
> \starttypescript[serif][garamondpp][name]
>     \definefontsynonym [Serif]                  [GaramondPP-Roman]
>     \definefontsynonym [SerifBold]              [GaramondPP-Bold]
>     \definefontsynonym [SerifItalic]            [GaramondPP-Italic]
>     \definefontsynonym [SerifSlanted]           [SerifItalic]
>     \definefontsynonym [SerifBoldItalic]        [GaramondPP-Bold-Italic]
> \stoptypescript
>
> If I caught the point of the last argument, it is here to indicate
> that what follows links font files to the pre-defined font concept
> that are Serif, SerifBold, SerifItalic and so on and so on). Here are
> my questions: I've seen in the sources that there were 7 predefined
> types in the Serif family: Serif, SerifBold, SerifItalic,
> SerifSlanted, SerifBoldItalic and SerifBoldSlanted. What if I have a
> font that not only have a Bold face but also a Medium face and a
> SemiBold face? Second question: my font do not have a slanted face and
> I do not want to have pieces of computer modern in the text because,
> by mistake, I typed an \sl switch or something related. To avoid that,
> you can see I declared SerifSlanted to be a synonym for
> SerifItalic. Is it the way to do that or is it better to directly
> define SerifSlanted as a synonym to GaramondPP-Italic (in my case)?

in principle you can use any name you want, however in practice
typescripts are called in sequence, so at some point SerifBold is used
to define a font and in order to resolve someplace else then also
SerifBold has to be used

the serif, mono, etc are all related to predefined prescripts (just grep
for them) and defining a typeface (see type-ini.tex) just calls up
certain typescripts; consider the arguments to starttypescript as a filer:

\starttypescript[a][b][c]

permits

if not(a) and inset(a) and (not(b) or inset(b)) or (not(a) or inset(c)
then ...

instead of medium .. just define another combination ... see definitions
of iwona cum suis and fonts in type-buy/ghz

> And for the last part of my little type script:
>
> \starttypescript [GaramondPP]
>     \definetypeface [GaramondPP][rm][serif][garamondpp][default]
> \stoptypescript
>
> That part is for me a beautiful piece of ununderstanding :) First
> question: the first argument is the name we will use with the
> \usetypescript command. Right? Second question: the first argument of

indeed

> the \definetypescript is the name that will be used with the
> \setupbodyfont call. Is it right? Isn't there any conflict with the
> GaramondPP of the \starttypescript and the one of the \definetypeface?

no, they're independent

> Or do they need to be the same? Other question: how are related the
> three following parameters (rm, serif and garamondpp)? And finally,
> what's the point of the 'default' argument?

rm: internal tex collections (rm, ss, tt, mm), also related to sizes
serif: just a filter (refers to generic serif typescripts)
default: also a filter, this time for size

> I'm aware that's a huge load of questions. Nothing is urgent but every
> replies are welcome, and that will allow me to help others. More
> questions will certainly occurs later (certainly related to sizes) but
> at first I'll try to better understand all what is above.

so, most of typescripts deal with filtering and sequences of name resolving

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: typescript
@ 2008-04-19 16:39 ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2008-04-19 16:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Antonie,

I am not a font expert, but this is what I understand.

On Sat, 19 Apr 2008, Antoine Junod wrote:

> And for the last part of my little type script:
>
> \starttypescript [GaramondPP]
>    \definetypeface [GaramondPP][rm][serif][garamondpp][default]
> \stoptypescript
>
> That part is for me a beautiful piece of ununderstanding :) First
> question: the first argument is the name we will use with the
> \usetypescript command. Right?

Yes

> Second question: the first argument of
> the \definetypescript is the name that will be used with the
> \setupbodyfont call. Is it right?

Yes

> Isn't there any conflict with the
> GaramondPP of the \starttypescript and the one of the \definetypeface?

No. Context is extremely clever in this respect.

> Or do they need to be the same?

No. Some of the old typescripts did use different names.

> Other question: how are related the
> three following parameters (rm, serif and garamondpp)?

rm is the font that gets activated by default with \setupbodyfont. You can
get the ss font by saying \setupbodyfont[GaramondPP,ss]. I do not know why
serif and sans (the third argument of \definetypescript are needed, it
seems to be reduntant.

> And finally,
> what's the point of the 'default' argument?

You can create variants of fonts. For example, for math fonts, one has to
occasionally use ams instead of default, this loads some of the
definitions from \definemathcollection[ams]. I don't know what is loaded
for non-math fonts.

Aditya

* Re: typescript
@ 2008-04-19 17:12 ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2008-04-19 17:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 2008-04-19 um 13:06 schrieb Antoine Junod:

> \starttypescript[serif][garamondpp]
>     \definefontsynonym [GaramondPP-Roman]      [GaramondPremrPro]
>     \definefontsynonym [GaramondPP-Bold]       [GaramondPremrPro-Bd]
>     \definefontsynonym [GaramondPP-Italic]     [GaramondPremrPro-It]
>     \definefontsynonym [GaramondPP-Bold-Italic][GaramondPremrPro-BdIt]
> \stoptypescript
>
> If I've understood what I did in that part, I've simply defined alias
> for the font file names. What I do not catch is the \starttypescript
> line. Is it right to say that the second parameter is the name of the
> 'class' to which the definitions that follow are linked? Second
> question on that part: Is the first argument (serif) a reserved
> keyword or not? What's the point of that argument? Third and last
> question for that part, in the case, as in here, where the font file
> names are easy to remember, is it still needed to create that synonyms
> for any reason?

Only answering your third question:

You mentioned later other faces of that font, e.g. Medium.
You can (and should) map *all* faces in that first typescript if you
intend to use them later.
(With big families that may be around 50 faces.)

Beware, if you write typescripts for XeTeX/luaTeX, you must define if
your "font name" is the "screen name" (aka PostScript name) or the
file name: [file:GaramondPremrPro] vs. [name:Garamond Premier Pro]

If you write typescripts for pdfTeX (mkII), you should give a third
argument that defines the encodings that the font supports, like:
\starttypescript	[serif]	[urw-antiqua]	[ec,texnansi,qx,t5]
	\definefontsynonym	[URWAntiquaT-Regu]	[\typescriptthree-u003003t]
[encoding=\typescriptthree]

The file name is here in fact the name of the tfm file!

(I hope I don't tell you something deprecated here...)

> Then, I wrote the [name] part of the typescript, as the following:
>
> \starttypescript[serif][garamondpp][name]
>     \definefontsynonym [Serif]                  [GaramondPP-Roman]
>     \definefontsynonym [SerifBold]              [GaramondPP-Bold]
>     \definefontsynonym [SerifItalic]            [GaramondPP-Italic]
>     \definefontsynonym [SerifSlanted]           [SerifItalic]
>     \definefontsynonym [SerifBoldItalic]        [GaramondPP-Bold-
> Italic]
> \stoptypescript
>
> If I caught the point of the last argument, it is here to indicate
> that what follows links font files to the pre-defined font concept
> that are Serif, SerifBold, SerifItalic and so on and so on). Here are
> my questions: I've seen in the sources that there were 7 predefined
> types in the Serif family: Serif, SerifBold, SerifItalic,
> SerifSlanted, SerifBoldItalic and SerifBoldSlanted. What if I have a
> font that not only have a Bold face but also a Medium face and a
> SemiBold face? Second question: my font do not have a slanted face and
> I do not want to have pieces of computer modern in the text because,
> by mistake, I typed an \sl switch or something related. To avoid that,
> you can see I declared SerifSlanted to be a synonym for
> SerifItalic. Is it the way to do that or is it better to directly
> define SerifSlanted as a synonym to GaramondPP-Italic (in my case)?

There are some more keywords:
SerifOldstyle (numbers only), SerifCaps, SerifBoldCaps
You can also define your own variants like this:
\definefontvariant [Serif] [shadow] [Shadow] % use with \Var[shadow]

If you defined a big family in your first typescript you can use this
setup for different four-member sub-families:

% serif urw-antiqua (normal)
\starttypescript	[serif]	[urw-antiqua]	[name]
%\usetypescript	[serif]	[urw-antiqua]	[\defaultencoding]
	\definefontsynonym	[Serif]		[URWAntiquaT-Regu]
	\definefontsynonym	[SerifSlanted]	[URWAntiquaT-ReguObli]
	\definefontsynonym	[SerifItalic]	[URWAntiquaT-ReguObli]
	\definefontsynonym	[SerifBold]	[URWAntiquaT-Bold]
	\definefontsynonym	[SerifBoldSlanted]	[URWAntiquaT-BoldObli]
	\definefontsynonym	[SerifBoldItalic]	[URWAntiquaT-BoldObli]
\stoptypescript

% serif urw-antiqua (normal bold)
\starttypescript	[serif]	[urw-antiqua-bold]	[name]
\usetypescript	[serif]	[urw-antiqua]	[\defaultencoding]
% different name, so you must load it explicitely!
% or:
% \setups	[font:fallback:serif]
	\definefontsynonym	[Serif]		[URWAntiquaT-Medi]
	\definefontsynonym	[SerifSlanted]	[URWAntiquaT-MediObli]
	\definefontsynonym	[SerifItalic]	[URWAntiquaT-MediObli]
	\definefontsynonym	[SerifBold]	[URWAntiquaT-ExtrBold]
	\definefontsynonym	[SerifBoldSlanted]	[URWAntiquaT-ExtrBoldObli]
	\definefontsynonym	[SerifBoldItalic]	[URWAntiquaT-ExtrBoldObli]
\stoptypescript

I.e. such a "name" typescript defines the related faces for the
simple style commands (\tf, \bf, \it, \sl etc.)

I mostly map slanted and italic to the same italic face. But it's a
matter of taste.

You can also do it this way:
	\definefontsynonym	[SerifSlanted]		[SerifItalic]
	\definefontsynonym	[SerifBoldSlanted]	[SerifBoldItalic]

For families with "unusual" faces like plain/shadow/outline or
regular/sketchy/mixedcase I "abuse" these predefined styles to access
all available faces.

Find a sample attached.

> And for the last part of my little type script:
>
> \starttypescript [GaramondPP]
>     \definetypeface [GaramondPP][rm][serif][garamondpp][default]
> \stoptypescript
>
> That part is for me a beautiful piece of ununderstanding :) First
> question: the first argument is the name we will use with the
> \usetypescript command. Right? Second question: the first argument of
> the \definetypescript is the name that will be used with the
> \setupbodyfont call. Is it right? Isn't there any conflict with the
> GaramondPP of the \starttypescript and the one of the \definetypeface?
> Or do they need to be the same? Other question: how are related the
> three following parameters (rm, serif and garamondpp)? And finally,
> what's the point of the 'default' argument?

In this last step you define your "font clan" to map \rm, \ss and \tt
(and math) together.
Even if I provide a sample in my typescripts, I nearly always define
a new "clan" in my environment file.

E.g.
\usetypescriptfile	[type-enc]
\usetypescriptfile	[type-klein-delitsch]
\loadmapfile	[\defaultencoding-klein-delitsch.map]

\starttypescript[fiee][liederheft]
	\usetypescript [serif] [schoolbook] [\defaultencoding]
	\usetypescript [handwriting] [delitsch] [\defaultencoding]
	\usetypescript [handwriting] [delitsch] [name]
	\definetypeface	[liederheft]	[rm]	[serif]	[schoolbook]	[default]
[encoding=\defaultencoding]
	\definetypeface [liederheft] [ss] [sans]  [default][default]
[encoding=ec]
	\definetypeface [liederheft] [tt] [mono]  [default][default]
[encoding=ec]
	\definetypeface [liederheft] [hw] [handwriting]  [delitsch][default]
[encoding=\defaultencoding]
\stoptypescript

Perhaps not a good example, because I don't need sans, mono and math
here. But it shows how to define the additional handwriting (hw) or
calligraphy (cg) fonts.

The third argument of \definetypeface takes different setups, often a
relative scaling factor to make the different fonts appear at the
same size like here:

\definetypeface [postscript] [tt] [mono]  [courier]   [default]
[rscale=1.1]

Greetlings from Lake Constance!
Hraban
---
http://www.fiee.net/texnique/
http://wiki.contextgarden.net
https://www.cacert.org (I'm an assurer)

[-- Attachment #2: type-apostrophe-covington.tex --]

%
% Typescript for serif family apostrophe covington
% written by install-font.pl (copyleft Henning Hraban Ramm)
% adapted 2003-08-17, 2005-11-20, 2005-12-10
%
% Write in your TeX file something like:
% \usetypescriptfile	[type-apostrophe-covington]
% \usetypescript	[fiee][apostrophe-covington]
% \setupbodyfont	[apostrophe-covington, rm, 12pt]

% load mapfile
\starttypescript	[map]	[covington][\defaultencoding]
	\loadmapfile	[\defaultencoding-apostrophe-covington.map]
\stoptypescript

% serif apostrophe covington
\starttypescript	[serif]	[covington,covington-cond,covington-exp,covington-sh]	[\defaultencoding]
	\definefontsynonym	[Covington]	[\defaultencoding-coving01]	[encoding=\defaultencoding]
	\definefontsynonym	[Covington-Italic]	[\defaultencoding-coving02]	[encoding=\defaultencoding]
	\definefontsynonym	[Covington-Bold]	[\defaultencoding-coving03]	[encoding=\defaultencoding]
	\definefontsynonym	[Covington-BoldItalic]	[\defaultencoding-coving04]	[encoding=\defaultencoding]
	\definefontsynonym	[Covington-Cond]	[\defaultencoding-coving05]	[encoding=\defaultencoding]
	\definefontsynonym	[Covington-Cond-Italic]	[\defaultencoding-coving06]	[encoding=\defaultencoding]
	\definefontsynonym	[Covington-Cond-Bold]	[\defaultencoding-coving07]	[encoding=\defaultencoding]
	\definefontsynonym	[Covington-Cond-BoldItalic]	[\defaultencoding-coving08]	[encoding=\defaultencoding]
	\definefontsynonym	[Covington-Exp]	[\defaultencoding-coving09]	[encoding=\defaultencoding]
	\definefontsynonym	[Covington-Exp-Italic]	[\defaultencoding-coving10]	[encoding=\defaultencoding]
	\definefontsynonym	[Covington-Exp-Bold]	[\defaultencoding-coving11]	[encoding=\defaultencoding]
	\definefontsynonym	[Covington-Exp-BoldItalic]	[\defaultencoding-coving12]	[encoding=\defaultencoding]
	\definefontsynonym	[Covington-Shadow]	[\defaultencoding-coving13]	[encoding=\defaultencoding]
	\definefontsynonym	[Covington-Shadow-Italic]	[\defaultencoding-coving14]	[encoding=\defaultencoding]
	\definefontsynonym	[Covington-Rev-Italic]	[\defaultencoding-coving15]	[encoding=\defaultencoding]
	\definefontsynonym	[Covington-Rev-BoldItalic]	[\defaultencoding-coving16]	[encoding=\defaultencoding]
	\definefontsynonym	[CovingtonSC]	[\defaultencoding-coving17]	[encoding=\defaultencoding]
	\definefontsynonym	[CovingtonSC-Italic]	[\defaultencoding-coving18]	[encoding=\defaultencoding]
	\definefontsynonym	[CovingtonSC-Bold]	[\defaultencoding-coving19]	[encoding=\defaultencoding]
	\definefontsynonym	[CovingtonSC-BoldItalic]	[\defaultencoding-coving20]	[encoding=\defaultencoding]
	\definefontsynonym	[CovingtonSC-Cond]	[\defaultencoding-coving21]	[encoding=\defaultencoding]
	\definefontsynonym	[CovingtonSC-Cond-Italic]	[\defaultencoding-coving22]	[encoding=\defaultencoding]
	\definefontsynonym	[CovingtonSC-Cond-Bold]	[\defaultencoding-coving23]	[encoding=\defaultencoding]
	\definefontsynonym	[CovingtonSC-Cond-BoldItalic]	[\defaultencoding-coving24]	[encoding=\defaultencoding]
	\definefontsynonym	[CovingtonSC-Exp]	[\defaultencoding-coving25]	[encoding=\defaultencoding]
	\definefontsynonym	[CovingtonSC-Exp-Italic]	[\defaultencoding-coving26]	[encoding=\defaultencoding]
	\definefontsynonym	[CovingtonSC-Exp-Bold]	[\defaultencoding-coving27]	[encoding=\defaultencoding]
	\definefontsynonym	[CovingtonSC-Exp-BoldItalic]	[\defaultencoding-coving28]	[encoding=\defaultencoding]
	\definefontsynonym	[CovingtonSC-Shadow]	[\defaultencoding-coving29]	[encoding=\defaultencoding]
	\definefontsynonym	[CovingtonSC-Shadow-Italic]	[\defaultencoding-coving30]	[encoding=\defaultencoding]
	\definefontsynonym	[CovingtonSC-Rev-Italic]	[\defaultencoding-coving31]	[encoding=\defaultencoding]
	\definefontsynonym	[CovingtonSC-Rev-BoldItalic]	[\defaultencoding-coving32]	[encoding=\defaultencoding]
\stoptypescript

% serif covington
\starttypescript	[serif]	[covington]	[name]
	\setups	[font:fallback:serif]
	\definefontsynonym	[Serif]				[Covington]
	\definefontsynonym	[SerifItalic]			[Covington-Italic]
	\definefontsynonym	[SerifSlanted]		[Covington-Rev-Italic]
	\definefontsynonym	[SerifCaps]			[CovingtonSC]
	\definefontsynonym	[OldStyle]			[CovingtonSC]

	\definefontsynonym	[SerifBold]			[Covington-Bold]
	\definefontsynonym	[SerifBoldItalic]		[Covington-BoldItalic]
	\definefontsynonym	[SerifBoldSlanted]		[Covington-Rev-BoldItalic]
	\definefontsynonym	[SerifBoldCaps]		[CovingtonSC-Bold]

	\definefontsynonym	[SerifBoldItalicCaps]	[CovingtonSC-BoldItalic]
	\definefontsynonym	[SerifItalicCaps]		[CovingtonSC-Italic]
	\definefontsynonym	[SerifBoldSlantedCaps]	[CovingtonSC-Rev-BoldItalic]
	\definefontsynonym	[SerifSlantedCaps]		[CovingtonSC-Rev-Italic]

	\definefontvariant [Serif] [cond] [Cond] % \Var[cond]
	\definefontvariant [Serif] [exp] [Exp] % \Var[exp]
	\definefontvariant [Serif] [shadow] [Shadow] % \Var[shadow]
	\definefontvariant [Serif] [caps] [SC] % \Var[shadow]

	\definefontsynonym	[SerifRegularCond]		[Covington-Cond]
	\definefontsynonym	[SerifBoldCond]		[Covington-Cond-Bold]
	\definefontsynonym	[SerifBoldItalicCond]	[Covington-Cond-BoldItalic]
	\definefontsynonym	[SerifBoldSlantedCond]	[Covington-Cond-BoldItalic]
	\definefontsynonym	[SerifItalicCond]		[Covington-Cond-Italic]
	\definefontsynonym	[SerifSlantedCond]		[Covington-Cond-Italic]
	\definefontsynonym	[SerifCapsCond]			[CovingtonSC-Cond]
	\definefontsynonym	[SerifBoldCapsCond]		[CovingtonSC-Cond-Bold]
	\definefontsynonym	[SerifBoldItalicCapsCond]	[CovingtonSC-Cond-BoldItalic]
	\definefontsynonym	[SerifItalicCapsCond]		[CovingtonSC-Cond-Italic]

	\definefontsynonym	[SerifRegularExp]			[Covington-Exp]
	\definefontsynonym	[SerifBoldExp]		[Covington-Exp-Bold]
	\definefontsynonym	[SerifBoldItalicExp]	[Covington-Exp-BoldItalic]
	\definefontsynonym	[SerifBoldSlantedExp]	[Covington-Exp-BoldItalic]
	\definefontsynonym	[SerifItalicExp]		[Covington-Exp-Italic]
	\definefontsynonym	[SerifSlantedExp]		[Covington-Exp-Italic]
	\definefontsynonym	[SerifCapsExp]			[CovingtonSC-Exp]
	\definefontsynonym	[SerifBoldCapsExp]		[CovingtonSC-Exp-Bold]
	\definefontsynonym	[SerifBoldItalicCapsExp]	[CovingtonSC-Exp-BoldItalic]
	\definefontsynonym	[SerifItalicCapsExp]		[CovingtonSC-Exp-Italic]

	\definefontsynonym	[SerifRegularShadow]	[Covington-Shadow]
	\definefontsynonym	[SerifItalicShadow]		[Covington-Shadow-Italic]
	\definefontsynonym	[SerifSlantedShadow]		[Covington-Shadow-Italic]
	\definefontsynonym	[SerifBoldShadow]			[CovingtonSC-Shadow]
	\definefontsynonym	[SerifBoldItalicShadow]		[CovingtonSC-Shadow-Italic]
	\definefontsynonym	[SerifBoldSlantedShadow]		[CovingtonSC-Shadow-Italic]
	\definefontsynonym	[SerifCapsShadow]			[CovingtonSC-Shadow]
	\definefontsynonym	[SerifItalicCapsShadow]		[CovingtonSC-Shadow-Italic]

	\definefontsynonym	[SerifRegularSC]			[CovingtonSC]
	\definefontsynonym	[SerifBoldItalicSC]	[CovingtonSC-BoldItalic]
	\definefontsynonym	[SerifItalicSC]		[CovingtonSC-Italic]
	\definefontsynonym	[SerifBoldSlantedSC]	[CovingtonSC-Rev-BoldItalic]
	\definefontsynonym	[SerifSlantedSC]		[CovingtonSC-Rev-Italic]

\stoptypescript

% serif covington condensed
\starttypescript	[serif]	[covington-cond]	[name]
	\setups	[font:fallback:serif]
	\definefontsynonym	[SerifSlanted]		[SerifItalic]
	\definefontsynonym	[SerifBoldSlanted]	[SerifBoldItalic]

	\definefontsynonym	[Serif]			[Covington-Cond]
	\definefontsynonym	[SerifBold]		[Covington-Cond-Bold]
	\definefontsynonym	[SerifBoldItalic]	[Covington-Cond-BoldItalic]
	\definefontsynonym	[SerifItalic]		[Covington-Cond-Italic]
	\definefontsynonym	[SerifCaps]			[CovingtonSC-Cond]
	\definefontsynonym	[SerifBoldCaps]		[CovingtonSC-Cond-Bold]
	\definefontsynonym	[SerifBoldItalicCaps]	[CovingtonSC-Cond-BoldItalic]
	\definefontsynonym	[SerifItalicCaps]		[CovingtonSC-Cond-Italic]
\stoptypescript

% serif covington expanded
\starttypescript	[serif]	[covington-exp]	[name]
	\setups	[font:fallback:serif]
	\definefontsynonym	[SerifSlanted]		[SerifItalic]
	\definefontsynonym	[SerifBoldSlanted]	[SerifBoldItalic]

	\definefontsynonym	[Serif]			[Covington-Exp]
	\definefontsynonym	[SerifBold]		[Covington-Exp-Bold]
	\definefontsynonym	[SerifBoldItalic]	[Covington-Exp-BoldItalic]
	\definefontsynonym	[SerifItalic]		[Covington-Exp-Italic]
	\definefontsynonym	[SerifCaps]			[CovingtonSC-Exp]
	\definefontsynonym	[SerifBoldCaps]		[CovingtonSC-Exp-Bold]
	\definefontsynonym	[SerifBoldItalicCaps]	[CovingtonSC-Exp-BoldItalic]
	\definefontsynonym	[SerifItalicCaps]		[CovingtonSC-Exp-Italic]
\stoptypescript

% serif covington shadow
\starttypescript	[serif]	[covington-sh]	[name]
	\setups	[font:fallback:serif]
	\definefontsynonym	[SerifSlanted]		[SerifItalic]
	\definefontsynonym	[SerifBoldSlanted]	[SerifBoldItalic]

	\definefontsynonym	[Serif]			[Covington-Shadow]
	\definefontsynonym	[SerifItalic]		[Covington-Shadow-Italic]
	\definefontsynonym	[SerifBold]			[CovingtonSC-Shadow]
	\definefontsynonym	[SerifBoldItalic]		[CovingtonSC-Shadow-Italic]
	\definefontsynonym	[SerifCaps]			[CovingtonSC-Shadow]
	\definefontsynonym	[SerifItalicCaps]		[CovingtonSC-Shadow-Italic]
\stoptypescript

% sample family definition
\starttypescript	[fiee]	[apostrophe-covington]
	\definetypeface	[apostrophe-covington]	[rm]	[serif]	[covington]	[default]	[encoding=\defaultencoding]
	%\definetypeface	[apostrophe-covington-cond]	[rm]	[serif]	[covington-cond]	[default]	[encoding=\defaultencoding]
	%\definetypeface	[apostrophe-covington-exp]	[rm]	[serif]	[covington-exp]	[default]	[encoding=\defaultencoding]
	%\definetypeface	[apostrophe-covington-sh]	[rm]	[serif]	[covington-sh]	[default]	[encoding=\defaultencoding]
\stoptypescript

* Re: typescript
@ 2010-03-15 21:55   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2010-03-15 21:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 15-3-2010 22:46, Philipp Gesang wrote:

> this is what I am working with.  I'm not sure every detail is needed,
> especially concerning the “script=latn” part as I'm successfully using

indeed some fonts have no dflt/dflt combination for script/language and
for those you need the script=latn

i'm still not sure if we need to make script=latn default

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: typescript
@ 2010-03-15 21:46 ` Philipp Gesang
From: Philipp Gesang @ 2010-03-15 21:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2010-03-15 <16:32:23>, Michael Saunders wrote:
> I am trying to get a minimal working example so that I have something
> to tinker with.
>
> C:\contextminimal\tex\texmf-local\type-garamondprem.tex contains only:
>
> \starttypescript [serif] [garamondprem]
>  \definetypeface [garamondprem] [rm] [serif]
> [name:garamondpremrpromed] [default]
> \stoptypescript
>
> (garamondpremrpromed is a name returned by mtxrun --script fonts
> --list --all --pattern=*Garamond*.)
>
> I run:
> luatools --generate
> and texmf-local is found.
>
> In my preamble:
> \usetypescriptfile [type-garamondprem]
> \usetypescript [garamondprem]
> \setupbodyfont [garamondprem,12pt]
>
> When I run Context, the result contains only Latin Modern.

Hi,

this is what I am working with.  I'm not sure every detail is needed,
especially concerning the “script=latn” part as I'm successfully using
non-latin scripts as well.  If this does not work you should have a look
at your font path.  If context knows where to find your fonts but the
following fails then I suggest you adapt the [name:XXX] fields in the
typescript, you need the “postscript name” value from otfinfo -i there.

HTH,

Philipp

---8<--------------------------------------------------------------------------

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
% Font setup                                                                  %
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

\starttypescript        [serif]           [garamond]
    \setups             [font:fallback:serif]
    \definefontsynonym  [Serif]           [name:GaramondPremrPro]            [features=default]
    \definefontsynonym  [SerifItalic]     [name:GaramondPremrPro-It]         [features=default]
    \definefontsynonym  [SerifBold]       [name:GaramondPremrPro-Smbd]       [features=default]
    \definefontsynonym  [SerifBoldItalic] [name:GaramondPremrPro-SmbdIt]     [features=default]
\stoptypescript

\def\sc{\setfontfeature{smallcaps}}
\def\os{\setfontfeature{oldstyle}}

\definefontfeature [default][default]
     [protrusion=quality,expansion=quality,mode=node,script=latn,onum=yes,fina=yes,calt=yes]

%\definefontfeature [oldstyle][default]
     %[protrusion=quality,expansion=quality,mode=node,script=latn,onum=yes]

%\definefontfeature [smallcaps][default]
     %[protrusion=quality,expansion=quality,mode=node,script=latn,smcp=yes]

\usetypescript  [serif]   [hz] [highquality]
\setupalign     [hanging,hz]

\definetypeface    [garamond] [rm] [serif] [garamond] [default] [encoding=ec]

\setupbodyfont[garamond,12pt]

\setupbodyfontenvironment[default][em=italic]

---8<--------------------------------------------------------------------------

* Re: typescript
@ 2010-03-15 21:42 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2010-03-15 21:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 15-3-2010 22:32, Michael Saunders wrote:
> I am trying to get a minimal working example so that I have something
> to tinker with.
>
> C:\contextminimal\tex\texmf-local\type-garamondprem.tex contains only:
>
> \starttypescript [serif] [garamondprem]
>   \definetypeface [garamondprem] [rm] [serif]
> [name:garamondpremrpromed] [default]
> \stoptypescript
>
> (garamondpremrpromed is a name returned by mtxrun --script fonts
> --list --all --pattern=*Garamond*.)
>
> I run:
> luatools --generate
> and texmf-local is found.
>
> In my preamble:
> \usetypescriptfile [type-garamondprem]
> \usetypescript [garamondprem]
> \setupbodyfont [garamondprem,12pt]
>
> When I run Context, the result contains only Latin Modern.

you can just put the typescript in the file itself

\starttypescript [serif] [garamondprem]
    \definefontsynonym[Serif][name:garamondpremrpromed]
\stoptypescript

\starttypescript [garamondprem]
    \definetypeface [garamondprem] [rm] [serif] [garamondprem] [default]
[features=default]
\stoptypescript

\setupbodyfont[garamondprem]

just look in type-otf.mkiv for more examples)

in this case [serif] [garamondprem] is the filter

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: typescript
@ 2010-03-15 21:35 ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2010-03-15 21:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 15 Mar 2010, Michael Saunders wrote:

> I am trying to get a minimal working example so that I have something
> to tinker with.
>
> C:\contextminimal\tex\texmf-local\type-garamondprem.tex contains only:

Wrong location. You files need to be stored according to TeX directory
structure
http://www.tex.ac.uk/cgi-bin/texfaq2html?label=tds

Try placing that file in texmf-local\tex\context\user\

and run luatools --generate. Check that luatools can find the file by
running

luatools type-garamondprem.tex

you should see the file location in the output.

Aditya

* typescript
@ 2010-03-15 21:32 Michael Saunders
                   ` (2 more replies)