* typescript
@ 2008-04-19 11:06 Antoine Junod
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Antoine Junod @ 2008-04-19 11:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hello, List!

Follownig your recommendations while playing with fonts, I've started
to write one. It's actually very basic but I already have a few
questions. Here is the basic, working stuff I did until now:

\starttypescript[serif][garamondpp]
    \definefontsynonym [GaramondPP-Roman]      [GaramondPremrPro]
    \definefontsynonym [GaramondPP-Bold]       [GaramondPremrPro-Bd]
    \definefontsynonym [GaramondPP-Italic]     [GaramondPremrPro-It]
    \definefontsynonym [GaramondPP-Bold-Italic][GaramondPremrPro-BdIt]
\stoptypescript

If I've understood what I did in that part, I've simply defined alias
for the font file names. What I do not catch is the \starttypescript
line. Is it right to say that the second parameter is the name of the
'class' to which the definitions that follow are linked? Second
question on that part: Is the first argument (serif) a reserved
keyword or not? What's the point of that argument? Third and last
question for that part, in the case, as in here, where the font file
names are easy to remember, is it still needed to create that synonyms
for any reason?

Then, I wrote the [name] part of the typescript, as the following:

\starttypescript[serif][garamondpp][name]
    \definefontsynonym [Serif]                  [GaramondPP-Roman]
    \definefontsynonym [SerifBold]              [GaramondPP-Bold]
    \definefontsynonym [SerifItalic]            [GaramondPP-Italic]
    \definefontsynonym [SerifSlanted]           [SerifItalic]
    \definefontsynonym [SerifBoldItalic]        [GaramondPP-Bold-Italic]
\stoptypescript

If I caught the point of the last argument, it is here to indicate
that what follows links font files to the pre-defined font concept
that are Serif, SerifBold, SerifItalic and so on and so on). Here are
my questions: I've seen in the sources that there were 7 predefined
types in the Serif family: Serif, SerifBold, SerifItalic,
SerifSlanted, SerifBoldItalic and SerifBoldSlanted. What if I have a
font that not only have a Bold face but also a Medium face and a
SemiBold face? Second question: my font do not have a slanted face and
I do not want to have pieces of computer modern in the text because,
by mistake, I typed an \sl switch or something related. To avoid that,
you can see I declared SerifSlanted to be a synonym for
SerifItalic. Is it the way to do that or is it better to directly
define SerifSlanted as a synonym to GaramondPP-Italic (in my case)?

And for the last part of my little type script:

\starttypescript [GaramondPP]
    \definetypeface [GaramondPP][rm][serif][garamondpp][default]
\stoptypescript

That part is for me a beautiful piece of ununderstanding :) First
question: the first argument is the name we will use with the
\usetypescript command. Right? Second question: the first argument of
the \definetypescript is the name that will be used with the
\setupbodyfont call. Is it right? Isn't there any conflict with the
GaramondPP of the \starttypescript and the one of the \definetypeface?
Or do they need to be the same? Other question: how are related the
three following parameters (rm, serif and garamondpp)? And finally,
what's the point of the 'default' argument?

I'm aware that's a huge load of questions. Nothing is urgent but every
replies are welcome, and that will allow me to help others. More
questions will certainly occurs later (certainly related to sizes) but
at first I'll try to better understand all what is above.

Thanks a lot for everything!
A+
-AJ

* typescript
@ 2010-03-15 21:32 Michael Saunders
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Michael Saunders @ 2010-03-15 21:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

I am trying to get a minimal working example so that I have something
to tinker with.

C:\contextminimal\tex\texmf-local\type-garamondprem.tex contains only:

\starttypescript [serif] [garamondprem]
 \definetypeface [garamondprem] [rm] [serif]
[name:garamondpremrpromed] [default]
\stoptypescript

(garamondpremrpromed is a name returned by mtxrun --script fonts
--list --all --pattern=*Garamond*.)

I run:
luatools --generate
and texmf-local is found.

In my preamble:
\usetypescriptfile [type-garamondprem]
\usetypescript [garamondprem]
\setupbodyfont [garamondprem,12pt]

When I run Context, the result contains only Latin Modern.