From: Rik Kabel <ConTeXt@rik.users.panix.com>
To: ntg-context@ntg.nl
Subject: Re: attachments working again (issue with /EmbeddedFiles)
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2020 17:22:13 -0500	[thread overview]

On 2/12/2020 14:20, Pablo Rodriguez wrote:
> On 2/8/20 10:13 PM, Rik Kabel wrote:
>>
>> Not quite ready yet. When the hidden method is used, it passes the
>> online validator[1], but fails VeraPDF[2] for clause 6.8-1. When
>> visible, it fails the online validator stating that the appearance
>> dictionary doesn't contain an entry, and fails VeraPDF for clauses 6.8-1
>> and 6.3.3-1.
> Hi Rik,
>
> as for 6.8-1, did you set MIME type of the attached file (such as in
> "type={application/pdf}")?
>
>> Oddly, the bookmarks do not appear either way under MkIV, and they do
>> not appear when the attachment is visible under LMTX. The bookmarks do
>> appear with a hidden attachment under LMTX.
> As far as I understand, only LMTX will receive regular updates now. (But
> Hans knows better 😅.)
>
> I get both visible attachments and bookmarks in LMTX (latest and
> previous latest [“latest” is the new beta]).
>
> Could you provide a minimal sample that shows the issue?
>
> Pablo
> --
> http://www.ousia.tk

Hello Pablo (and everyone else),

Here is my test file. You can use "context --mode=hidden file.tex" to
hide the pushpin, or  leave out the mode to expose it.

    %%  Test file for pdf3a compliance.
    %%
    %%  So far, this fails when the attachment is included. Other than the
    %%    handling of attachments, ConTeXt does a good job with the various
    %%    PDF/A variants.
    %%
    %%  Testing done locally with the VeraPDF validator (most recently with
    %%    version 1.14.8) and online with the 3-Heights validator found at
    %%    https://www.pdf-online.com/osa/validate.aspx (current 2020-01-20).
    %%
    %%  This is not a minimal example.
    \definemode          [hidden][keep]
    \setuplanguage       [en]
    \setuppapersize      [A6,landscape]
    \setuppagenumbering  [location=]
    \setuptagging        [state=start]
    \setupinteraction    [state=start]
    %setupbackend        [format={pdf/a-3u},
    \setupbackend        [format={pdf/a-3a},
                           level=0,
                           profile={default_gray.icc},
                           intent={ISO coated v2 300\letterpercent\space (ECI)}]
    \setupstructure      [state=start,
                           method=auto]
    \setupcolors         [pagecolormodel=auto,
                           start=yes,
                           rgb=no,
                           cmyk=no]
    \setupbodyfont       [palatino,18pt]
    \starttext

      This document was produced using version \contextversion\ of
      \ConTeXt\ \doifelse{\texenginename}{luametatex}{LMTX}{\contextmark}
      with the version \texengineversion\ of \texenginename.

      \attachment        [file=./\jobname.tex,
                          method={\doifmodeelse{hidden}{hidden}{normal}},
                          type={text/plain;charset=UTF-8}]
      The source code for this document is attached as a plain text file. It
      should show up in the pdf bookmarks for the document\doifmodeelse
      {hidden}{}{ and through the icon at the start of this paragraph}.

    \stoptext

I have tested with LMTX 2020.02.11 16:41.

*Mime type*

  * You can see that the mime type is set in the ConTeXt file and it
    appears in the resulting pdf, although not knowing enough about the
    pdf file structure I do not know if it appears correctly.

*Validation*

  * With the pin hidden, VeraPDF 1.14.8 complains about two occurrences
    of clause 6.8 test 1 failure. With the pin exposed, it complains
    about one occurrence of clause 6.8 test 1 failure and one occurrence
    of clause 6.3.3 test 1 failure (appearance dictionary).
  * With the pin hidden, pdf-online.com declares the  valid. With the
    pin exposed, pdf-online.com fails it because "[t]he appearance
    dictionary doesn't contain an entry." They are aware of the
    difference between their report and that of VeraPDF.

*Viewing*

  * Acrobat Reader DC shows the pushpin, changes the pointer, and
    displays flyover text when appropriate and shows the bookmark for
    both variants.
  * SumatraPDF shows the pushpin, changes the pointer, and displays
    flyover text when appropriate. It does not show the bookmark when
    the pushpin is visible, but does show it when it is hidden.
  * MuPDF does not show the pushpin, instead leaving empty space, when
    it should be visible. It does not show bookmarks or any other
    indication that there is an attachment for either variant. (MuPDF
    can show bookmarks for some other documents.)
  * Firefox 73 does not show the pushpin when it should be visible, but
    does change the pointer and show the attachment name as a flyover.
    Firefox 73 does show the bookmark for both variants.
  * Chrome 80 does not show the pushpin when it should be visible, but
    does show the attachment name as a flyover. Chrome 80 does not show
    the bookmark for either variant. (Chrome 80 does show bookmarks for
    some other PDF document.)
  * The three viewers listed here that do not show the pushpin do
    reserve the appropriate space ­ ­– changing the symbol to the
    Paperclip demonstrates that even though the paperclip is not displayed.

Clearly there are issues with the various viewers. How much ConTeXt can
or should do to manage the differences is not clear to me.

--
Rik Kabel