* XeTeX is broken after ConTeXt update
       [not found] <mailman.4915.1176473605.17432.ntg-context@ntg.nl>
@ 2007-04-13 17:11 ` Vyatcheslav Yatskovsky
From: Vyatcheslav Yatskovsky @ 2007-04-13 17:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context-request@ntg.nl

Hello,

To get rid of dummy boxes instead of figures in XeTeX output, I've decided to update the stuff (I already has installed fresh latest TeXLive).
I typed
	ctxtools --update
then
	texexec --xtx --make en
and even recreated format files from TeXLive GUI. After all, I get

(c:/TeXLive2007/../texmf-local/tex/context/base/type-xtx.tex)
! Font \*myface12ptrmtfrm*:='"mapping=tex-text at 12.0pt"' not loadable: installed font not found.

The test file is
\enableregime[utf]

\definetypeface[myface][rm][Xserif][Times New Roman]
\setupbodyfont[myface, 12pt]

\starttext
Hello!
\stoptext

I can reinstall the TeXLive completely, but I need to know what is wrong to update it succesfully next time.

Best,
Vatcheslav Yatskovsky

* Re: XeTeX is broken after ConTeXt update
@ 2007-04-13 22:31   ` Oliver Buerschaper
From: Oliver Buerschaper @ 2007-04-13 22:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Vyatcheslav,

I encountered the same problem a couple of weeks ago ... and it will
probably not be fixed until luaTeX is out.

The reason is that Hans is currently reworking bits and pieces of
ConTeXt in order to prepare for the transition to luaTeX ... and font
handling is apparently one of the things undergoing a massive
overhaul these days. Unfortunately this appears to have broken
compatibility with XeTeX. At the Epen conference Hans told me that
he's going to finalize ConTeXt's font interface code for luaTeX first
and then eventually backport everything to XeTeX.

So for the time being your best bet might be to stick with the
January version of ConTeXt included in TeXLive 2007. It's fairly
stable and can be used for production purposes although it obviously
won't benefit from the latest bug fixes to parts other than fonts.
Alternatively, you might as well want to wait for the inaugural
release of luaTeX.

Best,
Oliver

> Hello,
>
> To get rid of dummy boxes instead of figures in XeTeX output, I've
> decided to update the stuff (I already has installed fresh latest
> TeXLive).
> I typed
> 	ctxtools --update
> then
> 	texexec --xtx --make en
> and even recreated format files from TeXLive GUI. After all, I get
>
> (c:/TeXLive2007/../texmf-local/tex/context/base/type-xtx.tex)
> ! Font \*myface12ptrmtfrm*:='"mapping=tex-text at 12.0pt"' not
> loadable: installed font not found.
>
> The test file is
> \enableregime[utf]
>
> \definetypeface[myface][rm][Xserif][Times New Roman]
> \setupbodyfont[myface, 12pt]
>
> \starttext
> Hello!
> \stoptext
>
> I can reinstall the TeXLive completely, but I need to know what is
> wrong to update it succesfully next time.
>
> Best,
> Vatcheslav Yatskovsky

* Updates with older dates
       [not found] <mailman.4915.1176473605.17432.ntg-context@ntg.nl>
@ 2007-04-13 22:41 ` Vyatcheslav Yatskovsky
From: Vyatcheslav Yatskovsky @ 2007-04-13 22:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context-request@ntg.nl

Sorry, just found a strange thing.

A month old distribution of TeXLive contains bib-mod.doc file dated November 4, 2006. And current cont-tmf.zip contains the same file but dated... September 7, 2006.

Strange, isn't it?

Best,
Vyatcheslav Yatskovsky

* No way to use XeTeX
@ 2007-04-13 23:08     ` Vyatcheslav Yatskovsky
       [not found]       ` <BB8760A3-F3A4-4C4C-862F-559D564EF3B5@mpq.mpg.de>
From: Vyatcheslav Yatskovsky @ 2007-04-13 23:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Oliver Buerschaper; +Cc: ntg-context-request@ntg.nl

Hello Oliver,

I reinstalled TeXLive2007 from scratch -- fonts work fine, but .pdf images are replaced by dummy rectangles. (ImageMagik makes no difference.)
After manually updating ConTeXt files to the current release -- font handling is broken.

So, there is no way to use XeTeX for me.
:(((

--
Best,
Vyatcheslav Yatskovsky

* Re: No way to use XeTeX
@ 2007-04-13 23:23       ` Taco Hoekwater
       [not found]         ` <2010652981.20070414023117@gmail.com>
       [not found]       ` <BB8760A3-F3A4-4C4C-862F-559D564EF3B5@mpq.mpg.de>
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2007-04-13 23:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

Vyatcheslav Yatskovsky wrote:
> Hello Oliver,
>
> I reinstalled TeXLive2007 from scratch -- fonts work fine, but .pdf
> images are replaced by dummy rectangles. (ImageMagik makes no
> difference.)

This sounds like the command execution extension is turned off.
Whether or not ConTeXt is allowed to run other programs from
within (Xe)TeX is controlled by a variable in texmf.cnf called
shell_escape. That variable is likely set to f (false) after
initial installation, but should be easy to fix if you can find
the texmf.cnf on your disk, and set the variable to t (true)
instead.

Best,
Taco

* Re: Updates with older dates
@ 2007-04-13 23:25   ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2007-04-13 23:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

Vyatcheslav Yatskovsky wrote:
> Sorry, just found a strange thing.
>
> A month old distribution of TeXLive contains bib-mod.doc file dated
> November 4, 2006. And current cont-tmf.zip contains the same file but
> dated... September 7, 2006.

I'll check. The differences can't be big. It looks like I forgot
to update the one inside the context distribution.

Best, Taco

* Re: XeTeX is broken after ConTeXt update
@ 2007-04-13 23:26     ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2007-04-13 23:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Oliver Buerschaper wrote:
> Hi Vyatcheslav,
>
> I encountered the same problem a couple of weeks ago ... and it will
> probably not be fixed until luaTeX is out.

It appears to me that reverting back to the situation from three months
ago would already be a step forward from what we have now, yes?

Taco

* Re: XeTeX is broken after ConTeXt update
@ 2007-04-13 23:30       ` Oliver Buerschaper
From: Oliver Buerschaper @ 2007-04-13 23:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

>> I encountered the same problem a couple of weeks ago ... and it will
>> probably not be fixed until luaTeX is out.
>
> It appears to me that reverting back to the situation from three
> months
> ago would already be a step forward from what we have now, yes?

As far as fonts are concerned ... definitely yes!

Oliver

* Fwd: Re[2]:  No way to use XeTeX
       [not found]         ` <2010652981.20070414023117@gmail.com>
@ 2007-04-13 23:49           ` Vyatcheslav Yatskovsky
From: Vyatcheslav Yatskovsky @ 2007-04-13 23:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context-request@ntg.nl

Hello,
Taco and Anita, you are geniuses! shell_escape was set to false, indeed.

However, it fails further. My ch6.pdf output file isn't created at all whenever I insert \externalfigure[f01.pdf].

The log says
systems         : begin file ch6 at line 10
\@sl@\@@shortsectionnumber=\count214
section         : 1 Random numbers
\@sl@\textunderscore=\count215
(././f01.pdf.rli)
figures         : dimensions of f01.pdf are determined externally
\@sg@\crossreferenceobject=\count216
(./ch6.tuo)
fonts           : resetting map file list
fonts           : using map file: texnansi-public-lm
fonts           : using map file: original-base
fonts           : using map file: ec-public-lm
fonts           : using map file: ec-base
fonts           : using map file: lm-ec
fonts           : using map file: 8r-base
fonts           : using map file: t5-base
fonts           : using map file: texnansi-base
fonts           : using map file: qx-base
fonts           : using map file: original-ams-base
fonts           : using map file: original-ams-euler
fonts           : using map file: original-public-lm
fonts           : using map file: qx-public-lm
fonts           : using map file: t5-public-lm
[1.1] [2.2]
subsection      : 1.1 Uniform distribution
subsection      : 1.2 Random integers
[3.3]
subsection      : 1.3 Normal distribution
[4.4]
systems         : end file ch6 at line 91
system          : cont-err loaded
(c:/TeXLive2007/texmf-dist/tex/context/base/cont-err.tex
systems         : no file 'cont-sys.tex', using 'cont-sys.rme' instead
) )
Here is how much of TeX's memory you used:
 1675 strings out of 58098
 29794 string characters out of 548810
 4596067 words of memory out of 5529777
 41303 multiletter control sequences out of 10000+50000
 77322 words of font info for 68 fonts, out of 1200000 for 2000
 192 hyphenation exceptions out of 8191
 47i,22n,60p,526b,1090s stack positions out of 5000i,500n,6000p,200000b,5000s

--
Best regards,
Vyatcheslav Yatskovsky

* Re: No way to use XeTeX
       [not found]           ` <81655F31-5A9E-4003-96E2-A640E693D11D@mpq.mpg.de>
@ 2007-04-14 13:10             ` Vyatcheslav Yatskovsky
From: Vyatcheslav Yatskovsky @ 2007-04-14 13:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Oliver Buerschaper; +Cc: ntg-context-request@ntg.nl

Hello Oliver,

Thank you very much. You encouraged me to do some more tests and finally I discovered something useful.

The cow.pdf  from context examples runs smoothly.

My .pdf was saved in Adobe Acrobat 8 Pro and this turns out the main cause. Saving with older versions compatibility and adjusting other settings don't help also. Anything created in this Acrobat fails in XeTeX.

And good news: pdf created in Inkscape seems to be valid input for XeTeX!

--
Best regards,
Vyatcheslav Yatskovsky