* Minimals Beta on Windows 64bit
@ 2010-07-23 12:04 Andreas Schneider
From: Andreas Schneider @ 2010-07-23 12:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Since one of the last Betas mtxrun seems to be aware of 64bit windows, but
all the stubs and scripts seem to be missing support for that resulting in
the whole setup to not work at all.

First-setup fails with stuff like that:
MTXrun | run: rsync -rpztlv --stats
contextgarden.net::'minimals/current/bin/common/mswin/
minimals/current/bin/context/mswin/ minimals/current/bin/metapost/mswin/
minimals/current/bin/man/ minimals/current/bin/luatex/mswin/
minimals/current/bin/xetex/mswin/ minimals/current/bin/luatex/mswin/
minimals/current/bin/luatex/mswin/ minimals/current/bin/pdftex/mswin/'
'c:/context/tex/texmf-mswin'The source and destination cannot both be
remote.
rsync error: syntax or usage error (code 1) at main.c(1127)
[receiver=3.0.2]

Easy fix: in mtx-update.lua, line 294 the current check is
  if osplatform == "windows" or osplatform == "mswin" then
which should also check for "mswin-64".

But even after fixing that, mtxrun fails at several points, because it
tries to run further commands from "tex/texmf-mswin-64".

Another easy fix: add a hardlink/junction for that directory.
But that only ended in the following error whenever I invoke mtxrun,
texlua, etc.:

"texlua.exe - Application Error
The application was unable to start correctly (0xc0000022). click OK to
close the application."

I don't know why that was changed, but afaik all 64bit versions of windows
support 32bit too so I would vote to leave it as it was before - just deal
with mswin-64 as if it was mswin.

Best Regards,
Andreas.

* Re: Minimals Beta on Windows 64bit
@ 2010-07-26 16:07 ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2010-07-26 16:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, Jul 23, 2010 at 14:04, Andreas Schneider wrote:

> Since one of the last Betas mtxrun seems to be aware of 64bit windows, but
> all the stubs and scripts seem to be missing support for that resulting in
> the whole setup to not work at all.
>
> First-setup fails with stuff like that:
> MTXrun | run: rsync -rpztlv --stats
> contextgarden.net::'minimals/current/bin/common/mswin/
> minimals/current/bin/context/mswin/ minimals/current/bin/metapost/mswin/
> minimals/current/bin/man/ minimals/current/bin/luatex/mswin/
> minimals/current/bin/xetex/mswin/ minimals/current/bin/luatex/mswin/
> minimals/current/bin/luatex/mswin/ minimals/current/bin/pdftex/mswin/'
> 'c:/context/tex/texmf-mswin'The source and destination cannot both be
> remote.
> rsync error: syntax or usage error (code 1) at main.c(1127)
> [receiver=3.0.2]
>
> Easy fix: in mtx-update.lua, line 294 the current check is
>  if osplatform == "windows" or osplatform == "mswin" then
> which should also check for "mswin-64".

No, we don't have any special 64-bit binaries for windows. So it
should always unconditionally recognize windows as mswin, no matter
whether they are 32- or 64-bit.

> But even after fixing that, mtxrun fails at several points, because it
> tries to run further commands from "tex/texmf-mswin-64".
>
> Another easy fix: add a hardlink/junction for that directory.
> But that only ended in the following error whenever I invoke mtxrun,
> texlua, etc.:
>
> "texlua.exe - Application Error
> The application was unable to start correctly (0xc0000022). click OK to
> close the application."
>
> I don't know why that was changed, but afaik all 64bit versions of windows
> support 32bit too so I would vote to leave it as it was before - just deal
> with mswin-64 as if it was mswin.

The problem is that I'm not able to reproduce the problem you are
reporting. Did anyone else experience the same problem?

Mojca

* Re: Minimals Beta on Windows 64bit
@ 2010-07-29 11:26   ` Andreas Schneider
From: Andreas Schneider @ 2010-07-29 11:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 26 Jul 2010 18:07:24 +0200, Mojca Miklavec
<mojca.miklavec.lists@gmail.com> wrote:
> The problem is that I'm not able to reproduce the problem you are
> reporting. Did anyone else experience the same problem?
>
> Mojca

It seems to have been fixed in the meantime. I just tried it again and
rsync worked fine. The crash still happened, so I deleted the texmf-mswin
directory and let rsync refetch it, and now that works too. So it seems my
context on win64 runs fine again. No idea what caused the problem, but at
least it works now :)

Thanks for taking a look!

Best Regards,
Andreas.