* some mac fonts do not work correctly
@ 2019-07-23 18:49 Ulrike Fischer
From: Ulrike Fischer @ 2019-07-23 18:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hello Hans,

we got a bug report that some (proprietary) mac fonts don't work
correctly. The reason seem to be that the OpenType cmap format used
by these fonts isn't supported by the fontloader.

The necessary cmap formats are "platform 0 (Unicode), encoding 1
(Unicode 1.1(?)), format 12" and maybe as a fallback "platform 1
(Mac), encoding 0 (Roman), format 0".

A test would be

\starttext
\font\oddfont="Big Caslon Medium" \oddfont A
\stoptext

(I don't have a mac and so couldn't check)

The bug report we got is here

https://github.com/u-fischer/luaotfload/issues/73

--
Ulrike Fischer
https://www.troubleshooting-tex.de/

* Re: some mac fonts do not work correctly
@ 2019-07-24  9:04 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2019-07-24  9:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 7/23/2019 8:49 PM, Ulrike Fischer wrote:
> Hello Hans,
>
> we got a bug report that some (proprietary) mac fonts don't work
> correctly. The reason seem to be that the OpenType cmap format used
> by these fonts isn't supported by the fontloader.
>
> The necessary cmap formats are "platform 0 (Unicode), encoding 1
> (Unicode 1.1(?)), format 12" and maybe as a fallback "platform 1
> (Mac), encoding 0 (Roman), format 0".
>
> A test would be
>
> \starttext
> \font\oddfont="Big Caslon Medium" \oddfont A
> \stoptext
what filename ... when i copy ACaslonPro-Regular from a (by now obsolete
and old) mac it seems to work

Hans

* Re: some mac fonts do not work correctly
@ 2019-07-24  9:47   ` Ulrike Fischer
From: Ulrike Fischer @ 2019-07-24  9:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Am Wed, 24 Jul 2019 11:04:17 +0200 schrieb Hans Hagen:

>> we got a bug report that some (proprietary) mac fonts don't work
>> correctly. The reason seem to be that the OpenType cmap format used
>> by these fonts isn't supported by the fontloader.
>>
>> The necessary cmap formats are "platform 0 (Unicode), encoding 1
>> (Unicode 1.1(?)), format 12" and maybe as a fallback "platform 1
>> (Mac), encoding 0 (Roman), format 0".
>>
>> A test would be
>>
>> \starttext
>> \font\oddfont="Big Caslon Medium" \oddfont A
>> \stoptext

> what filename ... when i copy ACaslonPro-Regular from a (by now obsolete
> and old) mac it seems to work

The bug report mentions these filenames:

Heiti TC Light     [STHeiti Light.ttc](0)   壹貳參肆伍陸柒捌玖拾
Heiti SC Light     [STHeiti Light.ttc](1)   汉体书写信息技术标准相容
Heiti TC Medium    [STHeiti Medium.ttc](0)  壹貳參肆伍陸柒捌玖拾
Heiti SC Medium    [STHeiti Medium.ttc](1)  汉体书写信息技术标准相容

Big Caslon Medium  [BigCaslon.ttf]          ABCDEFGHIJKLM
GB18030 Bitmap     [NISC18030.ttf]          汉体书写信息技术标准相容
Webdings           [Webdings.ttf]           
Wingdings          [Wingdings.ttf]          
Wingdings 2        [Wingdings 2.ttf]        
Wingdings 3        [Wingdings 3.ttf]        

LiHei Pro          [LiHeiPro.ttf]           壹貳參肆伍陸柒捌玖拾
LiSong Pro         [LiSongPro.ttf]          壹貳參肆伍陸柒捌玖拾
STFangsong         [STFANGSO.ttf]           汉体书写信息技术标准相容
STXihei            [STXIHEI.ttf]            汉体书写信息技术标准相容
STHeiti            [STHEITI.ttf]            汉体书写信息技术标准相容
Yuanti SC Light    [Yuanti.ttc](4)          汉体书写信息技术标准相容
Yuanti SC          [Yuanti.ttc](0)          汉体书写信息技术标准相容
Yuanti SC Bold     [Yuanti.ttc](2)

Imho Marcel only checked the lua and the cmap for Big Caslon.

https://github.com/u-fischer/luaotfload/files/3423044/ttx-BigCaslon.txt
https://github.com/u-fischer/luaotfload/files/3422873/bigcaslon.lua.zip

--
Ulrike Fischer
http://www.troubleshooting-tex.de/

* Re: some mac fonts do not work correctly
@ 2019-07-24 10:03     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2019-07-24 10:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 7/24/2019 11:47 AM, Ulrike Fischer wrote:

> Big Caslon Medium  [BigCaslon.ttf]          ABCDEFGHIJKLM

I don't have that file.

Hans

* Re: some mac fonts do not work correctly
@ 2019-07-25 12:57       ` Ulrike Fischer
From: Ulrike Fischer @ 2019-07-25 12:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Am Wed, 24 Jul 2019 12:03:07 +0200 schrieb Hans Hagen:

>> Big Caslon Medium  [BigCaslon.ttf]          ABCDEFGHIJKLM

> I don't have that file.

After number of test rounds we managed to get all fonts (with one
odd exception) working with these values:

BigCaslon.ttf needs {0, 1, 12}, the W*dings*.ttf fonts need {3, 0,
4} and the affected CJK fonts require {0, 3, 12}.

--

@ 2019-07-25 13:32         ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2019-07-25 13:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 7/25/2019 2:57 PM, Ulrike Fischer wrote:
> Am Wed, 24 Jul 2019 12:03:07 +0200 schrieb Hans Hagen:
>
>>> Big Caslon Medium  [BigCaslon.ttf]          ABCDEFGHIJKLM
>
>> I don't have that file.
>
> After number of test rounds we managed to get all fonts (with one
> odd exception) working with these values:
>
> BigCaslon.ttf needs {0, 1, 12}, the W*dings*.ttf fonts need {3, 0,
> 4} and the affected CJK fonts require {0, 3, 12}.
someone lent me the caslon font and it's already fixed but you have to
wait till i upload a beta (now now)

Hans