* bold versions of fonts
@ 2007-02-09 13:28 Jörg Hagmann
From: Jörg Hagmann @ 2007-02-09 13:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all,

I have installed the LinLibertine and Junicode fonts on Linux Ubuntu,
minimal tex version. They only work if I comment out the lines
concerning the Bold versions of the fonts in my type-scripts. With
those lines, the error is:

ConTeXt  ver: 2007.01.23 13:32 MKII  fmt: 2007.2.4  int: english/english

! Font \*MyJunicode7ptrmbfrm*:=[Junicode-Bold at 7.0pt not loadable:
Metric (TF
M) file not found.
<to be read again>
                    \relax
\xxdododefinefont ...tspec {#4}\newfontidentifier
                                                   \let
\localrelativefontsiz...

\dodosettextfamilyB ...amily \fontsize \endcsname
                                                   \else \ifcsname
\fontclass...

\dosettextfamily ...ttextfamily \scriptscriptfont
                                                   \let \fontbody
\scriptface...
<inserted text> ...y \c!tf \dosettextfamily \c!bf
                                                   \dosettextfamily
\c!sl \do...

\synchronizetext ...athfonts \the \textstrategies
                                                   \fi
l.4 \setupbodyfont[MyJunicode,12pt]
***************************
The lines I had to comment out are:
\definefontsynonym [Junicode-Bold] [texnansi-Junicode-Bold]
[encoding=texnansi]
and
\definefontsynonym [SerifBold] [Junicode-Bold]

The fact that the problem occurs with two different fonts and type-
scripts should exclude a typo.
Thanks for your help, Jörg

* Re: bold versions of fonts
@ 2007-02-13 11:05 ` Jörg Hagmann
From: Jörg Hagmann @ 2007-02-13 11:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

Let me try again:
After installing the LinLibertine and the Junicode fonts, everything
works (including bolditalic) except the bold version.

- System: ubuntu, minimal tex/context installation

- I followed the instructions by T. Schmitz (Practex Journal 2005:
Integrating TrueType Fonts into Context). I.e., using texfont.

- After compiling the texfont-generated (texnansi-...-junicode.tex)
file, the pdf shows all the fonts (including bold).

- A testfile stalled with the error message below.  After removing
the lines defining the bold version (typescript-file: see attachment)
everything except bold works. Testfile: \usetypescriptfile[type-
junicode] \usetypescript[Junicode] \setupbodyfont[MyJunicode,12pt]
\starttext etc.

- Replacing the bold ttf, vf, and tfm fonts by those I found on the
fiee website didn't help.

  I suspect that it will turn out to be an embarassing error, but I
couldn't spot it. Thanks for your help, Jörg

[-- Attachment #2: type-junicode.tex --]

\loadmapfile[texnansi-public-junicode.map]
\usetypescriptfile[type-buy]

\starttypescript [serif] [junicode] [texnansi]
\definefontsynonym [Junicode-Roman] [texnansi-Junicode-Regular] [encoding=texnansi]
%\definefontsynonym [Junicode-Bold] [texnansi-Junicode-Bold] [encoding=texnansi]%comment this line
\definefontsynonym [Junicode-Italic] [texnansi-Junicode-Italic] [encoding=texnansi]
\definefontsynonym [Junicode-Bold-Italic] [texnansi-Junicode-BoldItalic] [encoding=texnansi]
\stoptypescript

\starttypescript [serif] [junicode] [name]
\usetypescript [serif] [fallback][]
\definefontsynonym [Serif] [Junicode-Roman]
\definefontsynonym [SerifItalic] [Junicode-Italic]
%\definefontsynonym [SerifBold] [[Junicode-Bold]%comment this line
\definefontsynonym [SerifBoldItalic] [Junicode-Bold-Italic]
\stoptypescript

\starttypescript [Junicode]
\definetypeface [MyJunicode] [rm] [serif] [junicode] [default] [encoding=texnansi]
%Math font:
\definetypeface [MyJunicode] [mm] [math] [palatino] [default] [encoding=texnansi]
%Sans Serif:
\definetypeface [MyJunicode] [ss] [sans] [helvetica] [default] [encoding=texnansi]
\stoptypescript

Error message:

@ 2007-02-13 11:19   ` Thomas A. Schmitz
From: Thomas A. Schmitz @ 2007-02-13 11:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Feb 13, 2007, at 12:05 PM, Jörg Hagmann wrote:

> Let me try again:
> After installing the LinLibertine and the Junicode fonts,
> everything works (including bolditalic) except the bold version.
>
> - System: ubuntu, minimal tex/context installation
>
> - I followed the instructions by T. Schmitz (Practex Journal 2005:
> Integrating TrueType Fonts into Context). I.e., using texfont.
>
> - After compiling the texfont-generated (texnansi-...-junicode.tex)
> file, the pdf shows all the fonts (including bold).
>
> - A testfile stalled with the error message below.  After removing
> the lines defining the bold version (typescript-file: see
> attachment) everything except bold works. Testfile:
> \usetypescriptfile[type-junicode] \usetypescript[Junicode]
> \setupbodyfont[MyJunicode,12pt] \starttext etc.
>
> - Replacing the bold ttf, vf, and tfm fonts by those I found on the
> fiee website didn't help.
>
>  I suspect that it will turn out to be an embarassing error, but I
> couldn't spot it. Thanks for your help, Jörg
>
> <type-junicode.tex>
>
> Error message:
>
>> ConTeXt  ver: 2007.01.23 13:32 MKII  fmt: 2007.2.4  int: english/
>> english
>>
>> ! Font \*MyJunicode7ptrmbfrm*:=[Junicode-Bold at 7.0pt not loadable:
>> Metric (TF
>> M) file not found.
>> <to be read again>
>>                     \relax
>> \xxdododefinefont ...tspec {#4}\newfontidentifier
>>                                                    \let
>> \localrelativefontsiz...
>>
>> \dodosettextfamilyB ...amily \fontsize \endcsname
>>                                                    \else \ifcsname
>> \fontclass...
>>
>> \dosettextfamily ...ttextfamily \scriptscriptfont
>>                                                    \let \fontbody
>> \scriptface...
>> <inserted text> ...y \c!tf \dosettextfamily \c!bf
>>                                                    \dosettextfamily
>> \c!sl \do...
>>
>> \synchronizetext ...athfonts \the \textstrategies
>>                                                    \fi
>> l.4 \setupbodyfont[MyJunicode,12pt]

%\definefontsynonym [SerifBold] [[Junicode-Bold]%comment this line

There is one [ too many in this definition... Don't be too
embarrassed, when you've looked at a file or a line for three hours,
you don't see anything anymore.

Good luck

Thomas

* Re: bold versions of fonts
@ 2007-02-14 10:34     ` Jörg Hagmann
From: Jörg Hagmann @ 2007-02-14 10:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

> There is one [ too many in this definition... Don't be too
> embarrassed, when you've looked at a file or a line for three hours,
> you don't see anything anymore.

Thanks a lot. I AM embarassed, especially since I suspected something
of the sort but didn't see it. And also because I successfully
avoided quite a few premature interventions in the past months, but
was too impatient this time.

I am editing the Annual Report of an ornithological society. In the
past, this has been done with Word, the font was Gentium. I haven't
changed to ConTeXt yet, because Gentium has no bold version and I
want to stick with the same font (Word produces some kind of Gentium-
bold itself). That's the reason why I am looking at other fonts, with
the intention of smuggling a "SimilarToGentium-Bold" into a gentium-
typescript. (I know that's not done -- but it's only the
Ornithological Society of Basel ....)

Cheers, Jörg

> Good luck
>
> Thomas

* Re: bold versions of fonts
@ 2007-02-14 10:57       ` Janko Hauser
From: Janko Hauser @ 2007-02-14 10:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 14.02.2007 um 11:34 schrieb Jörg Hagmann:

> I am editing the Annual Report of an ornithological society. In the
> past, this has been done with Word, the font was Gentium. I haven't
> changed to ConTeXt yet, because Gentium has no bold version and I
> want to stick with the same font (Word produces some kind of Gentium-
> bold itself).

As I do not understand fonts at all, but is it really so, that one
needs to have the bold fontpackage if one wants to set a word in bold
in tex? Asked another way, can tex not do the same as word in this
regard?

with regards,

__Janko

--
Janko Hauser  email:  jhauser@zscout.de
               mobile: +49 1721 641552

[-- Attachment #1.2: Signierter Teil der Nachricht --]

* Re: bold versions of fonts
@ 2007-02-14 11:03         ` Thomas A. Schmitz
From: Thomas A. Schmitz @ 2007-02-14 11:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Feb 14, 2007, at 11:57 AM, Janko Hauser wrote:

> As I do not understand fonts at all, but is it really so, that one
> needs to have the bold fontpackage if one wants to set a word in
> bold in tex? Asked another way, can tex not do the same as word in
> this regard?
>
> with regards,
>
> __Janko

TeX can produce an artificial bold version of type 1 fonts via
postscript commands in the map file, and you can consult the index of
the TeXbook for "poor man's bold" for another solution. In both
cases, the typographic quality is so low that you really don't want
to go there. Word output is ugly anyway, so nobody cares if it
produces artificial bold that makes it even uglier...

Thomas