* Font switching on title page
@ 2015-02-01 10:37 Jörg Weger
From: Jörg Weger @ 2015-02-01 10:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have started to design a title page for a paper.

First comes an information block at bodyfont size \tf (all in sans
serif), followed by the title of the paper in \bfd, then the author
(=me) in \bfa. The information block that follows then should be in
bodyfont size again, but it isn’t, it is too tall. What am I missing
about font switching? Is it maybe because it is a makeup page?

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%% Here is a MWE %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

\definemakeup[titlepage][pagestate=stop,doublesided=no]

\starttext

\starttitlepagemakeup[top=,]

\tf \ss

information \crlf
about \crlf
university \crlf
and \crlf
course \par

\blank[4*line]

\bfd \ss

Paper \par

\blank

\bfa \ss

by me

\blank[4*line]

\tf \ss

my \crlf
information, \crlf
adress \crlf
etc.

\stoptitlepagemakeup

\stoptext

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%% end of MWE  %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

* Re: Font switching on title page
@ 2015-02-01 11:04 ` Pablo Rodriguez
From: Pablo Rodriguez @ 2015-02-01 11:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 02/01/2015 11:37 AM, Jörg Weger wrote:
> I have started to design a title page for a paper.
>
> First comes an information block at bodyfont size \tf (all in sans
> serif), followed by the title of the paper in \bfd, then the author
> (=me) in \bfa. The information block that follows then should be in
> bodyfont size again, but it isn’t, it is too tall. What am I missing
> about font switching? Is it maybe because it is a makeup page?

Hi Jörg,

"pagestate=stop" is the default in makeups, so you don’t need to add it.

\tf only changes the font to roman, but not the size. I don’t know
whether there is a switch that does that.

The best way avoid problems when using font switches is to enclose them
in braces.

Such as in (complete sample):

\definemakeup[titlepage][doublesided=no]

\starttext

\starttitlepagemakeup[top=,]

{\ss

information \crlf
about \crlf
university \crlf
and \crlf
course \par}

\blank[4*line]

{\bfd \ss

Paper \par}

\blank

{\bfa \ss

by me}

\blank[4*line]

{\ss

my \crlf
information, \crlf
adress \crlf
etc.}

\stoptitlepagemakeup

I hope it helps,

Pablo
--
http://www.ousia.tk

* Re: Font switching on title page
@ 2015-02-01 12:00   ` Jörg Weger
From: Jörg Weger @ 2015-02-01 12:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thank you very much Pablo, indeed it helps :)

Meanwhile I had found a solution by putting as well title and subtitle
(author name) into groups

\begingroup ... \endgroup

but your braces solution is less typing and less distraction from the text.

Greetings Jörg

@ 2015-02-01 12:55     ` Pablo Rodriguez
From: Pablo Rodriguez @ 2015-02-01 12:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 02/01/2015 01:00 PM, Jörg Weger wrote:
> Thank you very much Pablo, indeed it helps :)
>
> Meanwhile I had found a solution by putting as well title and subtitle
> (author name) into groups
>
> \begingroup ... \endgroup
>
> but your braces solution is less typing and less distraction from the text.

You’re welcome, Jörg.

Braces are also easier to be mistyped or overlooked. It depends on the
text itself.

BTW, I forgot to mention (just in case it might help) that grouping is
also required for language switchs:

    \starttext
    \hsize\zeropoint
    \de {\em Lesbarkeit}, but legibility.
    No, it’s {\en legibility}.
    \stoptext

Greetings,

Pablo
--
http://www.ousia.tk

* Re: Font switching on title page
@ 2015-02-02 10:26   ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2015-02-02 10:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Am 01.02.2015 um 12:04 schrieb Pablo Rodriguez <oinos@gmx.es>:
>
> On 02/01/2015 11:37 AM, Jörg Weger wrote:
>> I have started to design a title page for a paper.
>>
>> First comes an information block at bodyfont size \tf (all in sans
>> serif), followed by the title of the paper in \bfd, then the author
>> (=me) in \bfa. The information block that follows then should be in
>> bodyfont size again, but it isn’t, it is too tall. What am I missing
>> about font switching? Is it maybe because it is a makeup page?
>
> Hi Jörg,
>
> "pagestate=stop" is the default in makeups, so you don’t need to add it.
>
> \tf only changes the font to roman, but not the size. I don’t know
> whether there is a switch that does that.
>
> The best way avoid problems when using font switches is to enclose them
> in braces.
>
> Such as in (complete sample):
>
> \definemakeup[titlepage][doublesided=no]
>
> \starttext
>
> \starttitlepagemakeup[top=,]
>
> {\ss
>
> information \crlf
> about \crlf
> university \crlf
> and \crlf
> course \par}
>
> \blank[4*line]
>
> {\bfd \ss
>
> Paper \par}
>
> \blank
>
> {\bfa \ss
>
> by me}
>
> \blank[4*line]
>
> {\ss
>
> my \crlf
> information, \crlf
> adress \crlf
> etc.}
>
> \stoptitlepagemakeup
>
> I hope it helps,

For a titlepage I suggest to use a different mechanism to select a certain font style and size.

You can also use \definedfont[…]{…} instead of \startfont[…] … \stopfont.

\definemakeup[titlepage][doublesided=no]

\starttext

\starttitlepagemakeup[top=]

\startfont[Sans]
\startlines