* Fundamental change in index mechanism ?
@ 2006-10-22  9:06 Steffen Wolfrum
From: Steffen Wolfrum @ 2006-10-22  9:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

because of a second edition I had to typeset a project from august
2006 a second time (with very, very little text changes).

Then, I experienced that the register had changed (a simple \index
[keyword] and \placeregister[index]).
And with a closer look I saw that in the first edition the index
entries also get listed in the index register when appearing also in
the TOC content! Now, it was impossible for me to reproduce this: The
first listed entries now came from the beginning of the actual text.

Is this a know bug? (Is there already a fix for it?)

Steffen

(using version 2006.10.13)

* Re: Fundamental change in index mechanism ?
@ 2006-10-22 11:32 ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2006-10-22 11:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Steffen Wolfrum wrote:
> Hi,
>
> because of a second edition I had to typeset a project from august
> 2006 a second time (with very, very little text changes).
>
> Then, I experienced that the register had changed (a simple \index
> [keyword] and \placeregister[index]).
> And with a closer look I saw that in the first edition the index
> entries also get listed in the index register when appearing also in
> the TOC content! Now, it was impossible for me to reproduce this: The
> first listed entries now came from the beginning of the actual text.
>
> Is this a know bug? (Is there already a fix for it?)

IMO, the current behaviour (as I understand it) is a bugfix for the
known bug of pointlessly indexing a lookup table.

Ask yourself: why would anyone want to be pointed to the table of
contents from within the register?

Taco

* Re: Fundamental change in index mechanism ?
@ 2006-10-22 11:53 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2006-10-22 11:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Steffen Wolfrum wrote:
> Hi,
>
> because of a second edition I had to typeset a project from august
> 2006 a second time (with very, very little text changes).
>
> Then, I experienced that the register had changed (a simple \index
> [keyword] and \placeregister[index]).
> And with a closer look I saw that in the first edition the index
> entries also get listed in the index register when appearing also in
> the TOC content! Now, it was impossible for me to reproduce this: The

eh ... what do you mean?
> first listed entries now came from the beginning of the actual text.
>
> Is this a know bug? (Is there already a fix for it?)

if y ou provide a sample that shows the problem .. all things can be fixed since i have no intention to break downward compatibility.

\placeregister[index] \page

\placelist[section] \page

\starttext

\section{oeps \index{oeps}} \input tufte

\stoptext

works ok here

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2006-10-22 13:05   ` Steffen Wolfrum
From: Steffen Wolfrum @ 2006-10-22 13:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

A minimal example is again not so easily written (as I don't know
where the problem is).

But if you don't mind I could send you the actual files privately.

Steffen

@ 2006-10-22 17:31   ` Steffen Wolfrum
From: Steffen Wolfrum @ 2006-10-22 17:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 22.10.2006 um 13:32 schrieb Taco Hoekwater:

> Steffen Wolfrum wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> because of a second edition I had to typeset a project from august
>> 2006 a second time (with very, very little text changes).
>>
>> Then, I experienced that the register had changed (a simple \index
>> [keyword] and \placeregister[index]).
>> And with a closer look I saw that in the first edition the index
>> entries also get listed in the index register when appearing also in
>> the TOC content! Now, it was impossible for me to reproduce this: The
>> first listed entries now came from the beginning of the actual text.
>>
>> Is this a know bug? (Is there already a fix for it?)
>
> IMO, the current behaviour (as I understand it) is a bugfix for the
> known bug of pointlessly indexing a lookup table.
>
> Ask yourself: why would anyone want to be pointed to the table of
> contents from within the register?
>
> Taco

Sure, you are absolutely right (it was not my decision to typeset the
first edition the way it actually was set).

As far as I could see – apart from temporary workarounds (I remember
troubles with columns) – all old ConTeXt files generate the same
output when typeset with a current ConTeXt version.

So I was just wondering that my 3 month old file generates a
different output today.

Steffen