* Choosing ConTeXt install method on Mac
@ 2009-01-21 20:09 David Rogers
From: David Rogers @ 2009-01-21 20:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hello all

I'm going to do a clean re-install of my machine (Tiger on PPC)
soon, and I'd like guidance on methods of installing ConTeXt. I
assume that (a) TeX Live 2008 with its tlmgr utility, or (b)
ConTeXt minimals, are the two realistic possibilities - is this correct?

What I'd like:

- A clear way of keeping ConTeXt mkiv usable and up to date with
Hans's latest version

- An installation method that will continue to be maintained,
and that is expected to be used by the majority of ordinary
users of ConTeXt in the future

...So should I go for TeX Live, or the minimals, or something
else I don't know about yet?

Grateful for any advice...
David

* Re: Choosing ConTeXt install method on Mac
@ 2009-01-21 20:43 ` Otared Kavian
From: Otared Kavian @ 2009-01-21 20:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi David,

I did a clean install of the Minimals on a Mac and have written the
steps I followed in a file
install-minimal-ok.tex
which can be found on

http://www.kavian.fr/tex/

I hope this will be helpful.

Best regards: OK

On 21 janv. 09, at 21:09, David Rogers wrote:

> Hello all
>
> I'm going to do a clean re-install of my machine (Tiger on PPC)
> soon, and I'd like guidance on methods of installing ConTeXt. I
> assume that (a) TeX Live 2008 with its tlmgr utility, or (b) ConTeXt
> minimals, are the two realistic possibilities - is this correct?
>
> What I'd like:
>
> - A clear way of keeping ConTeXt mkiv usable and up to date with
> Hans's latest version
>
> - An installation method that will continue to be maintained, and
> that is expected to be used by the majority of ordinary users of
> ConTeXt in the future
>

> ...So should I go for TeX Live, or the minimals, or something else I
> don't know about yet?
>
> Grateful for any advice...
> David

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
Otared Kavian
Département de Mathématiques
Université de Versailles Saint-Quentin
Bâtiment Fermat
45 aveue des Etats Unis
78035 Versailles cedex

Téléphone: +33 1 39 25 46 42
Secrétariat: +33 1 39 25 46 44
Secrétariat: +33 1 39 25 46 46

e-mail: Otared.Kavian@math.uvsq.fr

* Re: Choosing ConTeXt install method on Mac
@ 2009-01-21 22:20 ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2009-01-21 22:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Jan 21, 2009 at 9:09 PM, David Rogers wrote:
> Hello all
>
> I'm going to do a clean re-install of my machine (Tiger on PPC) soon, and
> I'd like guidance on methods of installing ConTeXt. I assume that (a) TeX
> Live 2008 with its tlmgr utility, or (b) ConTeXt minimals, are the two
> realistic possibilities - is this correct?
>
> What I'd like:
>
> - A clear way of keeping ConTeXt mkiv usable and up to date with Hans's
> latest version
>
> - An installation method that will continue to be maintained, and that is
> expected to be used by the majority of ordinary users of ConTeXt in the
> future
>

> ...So should I go for TeX Live, or the minimals, or something else I don't
> know about yet?

I would suggest MacTeX 2008 + minimals.

I have both, with manually slightly updated ConTeXt in MacTeX 2008.
MacTeX is nice since it "always works" (includes LaTeX and dozens of
fonts and other packages that might be missing in minimals) and you
have a backup system in case that the "latest alpha" in minimals gets
broken.

I have this in ~/.bash_profile:
#. context/tex/setuptex context/tex

and I keep commenting/uncommenting it as needed (or just execute that
line in bash). The nice thing about minimals is that it doesn't
interfere with other TeX distributions, so you can have it installed
in parallel and it doesn't take too much space when compared with TeX
Live.

You need some additional hacks to get the minimals working in gui
applications. Oliver started writing an installer that could simplify
matters a bit, but got stuck with some external bugs at some point and
didn't publically release anything yet.

Mojca

* Re: Choosing ConTeXt install method on Mac
@ 2009-01-22 13:05   ` Andrea Valle
From: Andrea Valle @ 2009-01-22 13:05 UTC (permalink / raw)