* %
@ 1999-11-17 10:03 Haseloff, Lutz
From: Haseloff, Lutz @ 1999-11-17 10:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

> BTW, using %'s is seldom needed in a context document.
> Hans

Hi all,

If i use many backgrounds
without %-sign as last char of the line
the first background of the new line
not will be typeset.

\setupbackgrounds [page] [background={tabel,%
NameI,AmtI,RefI,TelefonI,LohnI,WohnI,%
NameII,AmtII,RefII,TelefonII,LohnII,WohnII,%
DKfzJa,DKfzNein,SelFaJa,SelFaNein,Halter,AmtlKz,Hubr,AntTrif,%
UrlLfd,VomBis,Nach,UrlEin,UrlBew,AbschlI,AbschlII,AbschlIII,OrtDatum}]

Is this the case where a % is needed?

I use ConTeXt beta 15.11.99

Lutz

* Re:
@ 1999-11-17 10:16 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 1999-11-17 10:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

At 11:03 AM 11/17/99 +0100, Haseloff, Lutz wrote:
>> BTW, using %'s is seldom needed in a context document.
>> Hans
>
>Hi all,
>
>If i use many backgrounds
>without %-sign as last char of the line
>the first background of the new line
>not will be typeset.
>
>\setupbackgrounds [page] [background={tabel,%
>NameI,AmtI,RefI,TelefonI,LohnI,WohnI,%
>NameII,AmtII,RefII,TelefonII,LohnII,WohnII,%
>DKfzJa,DKfzNein,SelFaJa,SelFaNein,Halter,AmtlKz,Hubr,AntTrif,%
>UrlLfd,VomBis,Nach,UrlEin,UrlBew,AbschlI,AbschlII,AbschlIII,OrtDatum}]
>
>Is this the case where a % is needed?

Indeed. This is one of the few places where I use the fast commalist processing routine, which does not capture spaces. Using the 'normal' one would slow down too much. When computers will be faster, I'll start using the better alternative.

(Why do you need so many backgounds btw?)

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

* Re: [
@ 2013-11-21 16:40 Lars Huttar
From: Lars Huttar @ 2013-11-21 16:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

In a thread from July
(http://context.markmail.org/thread/6tgzusw45whaqghi), Marco Patzer
raised some questions that we have too. They were somewhat answered, but
I'm still not clear on what the meanings of the keywords are.

On Jul 8, 2013 4:08:33 pm Hans wrote:
> On 7/9/2013 12:30 AM, Marco Patzer wrote:
> >/ On 2013–07–08 Hans Hagen wrote:
> />/
> />>>/ I expect the markings on the left and right to be the same and show
> />>>/ A–C on the first page and D–E on the second one. Looks like a bug to
> />>>/ me.
> />>/
> />>/ use top and bottom
> />/
> />/ This works. Thanks.
> />/
> />>/ -- previous : last before sync
> />>/ -- next     : first after sync
> />>/
> />>/ -- top      : first in sync
> />>/ -- bottom   : last in sync
> />>/
> />>/ -- first    : first not top in sync
> />>/ -- last     : last not bottom in sync
> />/
> />/ That is exactly what's in the wiki (Command/getmarking). To my
> />/ defence: The manual (chapter 12.4) is outdated, it lists:
> />/
> />/    previous - the last of the previous page
> />/    first    - the first of the actual page
> />/    last     - the last of the actual page
> />/    both     - first — last
> />/    all      - previous — first — last
> />/
> />/ I have no idea what “first not top in sync” means, in contrast to
> />/ “first of the actual page”, which is quite clear but wrong on a
> />/ current MkIV.
> /
> old tex terminology ... in mkiv i don't use the build-in-tex marks at
> all (too much juggling needed to get things right)

So I'm wondering ... Hans, since the descriptions you posted are old tex
terminology, what do previous/next/top/bottom/first/last/etc. mean in
current terminology?
I agree with Marco that the descriptions in the ref manual are much
easier to understand, but appear to be wrong; and do not include top/bottom.
I'll be happy to update the ref manual and the wiki if I can get clear
and accurate information.

We have run many examples here, including the ones on the getmarking
wiki page, trying to understand what these keywords mean.
top/bottom do appear to do what we need in an MWE, but are not working
for us in the real document, and knowing the meaning of these keywords
would be very helpful in troubleshooting the problem.

Thanks,
Lars