* Newbie, question about fonts
@ 2015-06-19 19:18 Florian Rudt
From: Florian Rudt @ 2015-06-19 19:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Dear List,

at first: thanks a lot for TeX and ConTeXt.

I am really new to CoTeXt, TeX and LaTex, sorry. I come from the other side, from the DTP-side (the dark side). I have been working for more than 20 years in the graphics and prepess business with the mouse (only at the beginning some weeks playing with Linotype Series 300 and Linosetting and one day Berthold's ProfiPage).

I managed to redo a simple old job with context: the book block of a novel, incl. front matter and fonts from my own library. Even the first results were amazingly beautiful.

Now I want to redesign an academic journal (the International Journal of Conflict and Violence, www.ijcv.org) that I currently set with tango (something like Scribus or InDesign). I have got most of my font working with ConTeXt, but this time I failed. I can not get the ITC Franklin Gothic working.

My installation is ConTeXt standalone on linux mint. I installed the otf-fonts by copying them into the directory ~/context/tex/texmf-fonts/opentype/FranklinGothic/ . Then I run "mtxrun --generate" in the terminal.

"mtxrun --script fonts --list --all --pattern=*franklin*" gives:

itcfranklingothicstd             itcfranklingothicstddmcp     ITCFranklinGothicStd-DmCp.otf
itcfranklingothicstdbkcp         itcfranklingothicstdbkcp     ITCFranklinGothicStd-BkCp.otf
itcfranklingothicstdbkcpit       itcfranklingothicstdbkcpit   ITCFranklinGothicStd-BkCpIt.otf
itcfranklingothicstdbold         itcfranklingothicstddmcp     ITCFranklinGothicStd-DmCp.otf
itcfranklingothicstdbolditalic   itcfranklingothicstddmcpit   ITCFranklinGothicStd-DmCpIt.otf
itcfranklingothicstddemi         itcfranklingothicstddmcp     ITCFranklinGothicStd-DmCp.otf
itcfranklingothicstddmcp         itcfranklingothicstddmcp     ITCFranklinGothicStd-DmCp.otf
itcfranklingothicstddmcpit       itcfranklingothicstddmcpit   ITCFranklinGothicStd-DmCpIt.otf
itcfranklingothicstditalic       itcfranklingothicstdbkcpit   ITCFranklinGothicStd-BkCpIt.otf
itcfranklingothicstdnormal       itcfranklingothicstdbkcpit   ITCFranklinGothicStd-BkCpIt.otf
itcfranklingothicstdregular      itcfranklingothicstdbkcp     ITCFranklinGothicStd-BkCp.otf

I thought that all font styles are available (but I only need Book Compressed, Book Compressed Italic, Demi Compressed, and Demi Compressed Italic).

So, this is my not working example:

%fonts for ijcv
\setupbodyfontenvironment[default][em=italic]
%
\definefontfamily [ijcv-fonts] [serif] [Minion Pro]
\definefontfamily [ijcv-fonts] [sans] [itcfranklingothicstd]
%
\definefontfeature [default] [default] [onum=yes]
%
\setupbodyfont[ijcv-fonts, 10.25pt]
\setupinterlinespace[4.75mm]
%
\starttext
Minion Pro 1234567890

\ss{ITC Franklin Gothic Book Compressed}
\stoptext

The problem is the fontname: [itcfranklingothicstd] doesn't work and I tried [ITC Franklin Gothic Std] and a lot of other spellings. I succeded with a lot of other fonts with this approach.

What could I have done wrong?

Thanks in advance

Florian

[-- Attachment #1.2: Message signed with OpenPGP using GPGMail --]

* Re: Newbie, question about fonts
@ 2015-06-19 19:33 ` Thad Heltemes
From: Thad Heltemes @ 2015-06-19 19:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

Try this:

\definefontfamily[ijcv-fonts][sans][ITCFranklinGothicStd][tf=file:ITCFranklinGothicStd-BkCp.otf,
it=file:ITCFranklinGothicStd-BkCpIt.otf,
bf=file:ITCFranklinGothicStd-DmCp.otf,
bi=file: ITCFranklinGothicStd-DmCpIt.otf]

Thad Heltemes, Ph.D.

http://theltemes.net

* Re: Newbie, question about fonts
@ 2015-06-19 19:43   ` Florian Rudt
From: Florian Rudt @ 2015-06-19 19:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

[-- Attachment #1.1.1: Type: text/plain, Size: 4695 bytes --]

Works :-)

Thanks a lot, Thad.

Best regards,

Florian

Am 19.06.2015 um 21:33 schrieb Thad Heltemes <theltemes@gmail.com>:

> [...]
>
> So, this is my not working example:
>
> %fonts for ijcv
> \setupbodyfontenvironment[default][em=italic]
> %
> \definefontfamily [ijcv-fonts] [serif] [Minion Pro]
> \definefontfamily [ijcv-fonts] [sans] [itcfranklingothicstd]
> %
> \definefontfeature [default] [default] [onum=yes]
> %
> \setupbodyfont[ijcv-fonts, 10.25pt]
> \setupinterlinespace[4.75mm]
> %
> \starttext
> Minion Pro 1234567890
>
> \ss{ITC Franklin Gothic Book Compressed}
> \stoptext
>
> The problem is the fontname: [itcfranklingothicstd] doesn't work and I tried [ITC Franklin Gothic Std] and a lot of other spellings. I succeded with a lot of other fonts with this approach.

[-- Attachment #1.1.2: Type: text/html, Size: 6937 bytes --]

@ 2005-03-14  9:47 ` Patrick Gundlach
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2005-03-14  9:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

[...]

> I downloaded the CD iso image from a website
> and installed Fedora Core 3.

Then you should ask fedora about the local guide. They know where
they've put it.

[...]

> Similarly, I downloaded texlive2004 CD from the
> tug.org, and installed it according to the
> instructions
> in the CD. What is the name of the 'local guide' file?

I have one in texlive/2004/texmf-doc/doc/english/texlive-en/live.html
and texlive/2004/texmf-doc/doc/english/texlive-en/live.pdf.

Patrick

--
ConTeXt wiki: http://contextgarden.net

* Re: newbie question about fonts
@ 2005-03-13 20:07 ` Patrick Gundlach
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2005-03-13 20:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello Ciro,

> I am my distributor maintainer.

But you got your distribution from some source?

> what is the "local guide" you refer to?

This should come with your TeX system (Linux system, downloaded TeX
system, whatever) that tells you about things that you need to know
about your TeX system. Including the available fonts. Since I don't
know what your TeX system is, I can't tell you if you have such a
local guide. If it is not on your system, you should complain to the
person that gave you the TeX.

> Wouldn't it be nice to have a command in Context like:

> \listavailablefonts [type1 | truetype | ... | all]

Then please define what a font is. But apart from that, it is not
possible from within TeX.

Patrick
--

@ 2005-03-11 16:56 ` Gary
From: Gary @ 2005-03-11 16:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ciro A. Soto wrote:

>Okay, this business of fonts/files/names/encoding/etc
>is really difficult to understand for me.

You and 95% of all users, so don't feel bad.   I've given up.  I use
whatever comes out, which I guess is computer modern.

(I can use "Postscript" Times Roman, but no other "Postscript" font
works for me.  Which is ok, since I use a lot of math and math comes out
in cm no matter what font you use.)

* Re: newbie question about fonts
@ 2005-03-11  8:41 ` Patrick Gundlach
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2005-03-11  8:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello Ciro,

> Okay, this business of fonts/files/names/encoding/etc
> is really difficult to understand for me.

welcome to the club ;-)

> I have a simple question. How do I list all fonts
> I have available to use in ConTeXt in the
> machine/system I have? Is there a file
> where I can see the names of all these fonts?

This should be stated in your local guide. If not, complain to the
distribution maintainer.

> And is there a template file or a command
> to display the entire set of characters once I know
> the
> name of fonts?

\showfont[Serif]

and alike.

Patrick
--

@ 2005-03-11  6:53 ` luigi.scarso
From: luigi.scarso @ 2005-03-11  6:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ciro A. Soto wrote:

>Okay, this business of fonts/files/names/encoding/etc
>is really difficult to understand for me.

don't worry:FONTS ARE REALLY DIFFICULT.

>And is there a template file or a command
>to display the entire set of characters once I know
>the
>name of fonts?

I suggest you to look at texfont program and
mfonts.pdf
mtexfont.pdf
showfont.pdf
They can be a bit outdate, but still useful.

I have printed My Way -- OpenType in Context by Adam T.Lindsay--
also really useful.

luigi

* newbie question about fonts
@ 2005-03-11  0:08 Ciro A. Soto
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Ciro A. Soto @ 2005-03-11  0:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Okay, this business of fonts/files/names/encoding/etc
is really difficult to understand for me.

I have a simple question. How do I list all fonts
I have available to use in ConTeXt in the
machine/system I have? Is there a file
where I can see the names of all these fonts?
And is there a template file or a command
to display the entire set of characters once I know
the
name of fonts?

FYI, I use ConTeXt with Linux Fedora Core 3.
I appreciate your help

Ciro