From: Adam Lindsay <atl@comp.lancs.ac.uk>
Subject: Re: Going crazy with font conversion (diaeresis)!
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2005 16:38:12 +0000	[thread overview]

Hi Steffen,

Why are you converting to type1 fonts when pdftex will work fine with
the .ttf files "embedded" within the .dfont?

My approach to using Mac fonts has been:
1) create a temp directory
2) fondu original.dfont from within the temp directory
3) run texfont on the resulting TTFs

I've avoided conversion between TrueType and Type1 because they're
different imaging models, and curves change along the way. Other people
advise against this for licensing reasons, as well.

I'd also ask why, if you have the superior Helvetica Neue working,
you're trying to get the plain, no-oblique Helvetica going as well. I
see it like the difference between LM and the original CM conversion...
the later interpretation is far superior, and much more subtly drawn.

But all these questions mask the fact that I have no clue about the
FontForge/FontLab messes... I want to help you avoid them! :)

adam