* code 139
@ 2021-01-29 11:15 Thomas A. Schmitz
From: Thomas A. Schmitz @ 2021-01-29 11:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all,

a complex file with a metafun background does not compile anymore with
lmtx. It compiles fine with mkiv. Compilation breaks off after 10 pages
(maybe that's significant) with this message:

pages           > flushing realpage 10, userpage 10, subpage 10
mtx-context     | fatal error: return code: 139

What is code: 139? Where should I start looking for the culprit?

All best

Thomas

* Re: code 139
@ 2021-01-29 11:56 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2021-01-29 11:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Hi all,
>
> a complex file with a metafun background does not compile anymore with
> lmtx. It compiles fine with mkiv. Compilation breaks off after 10 pages
> (maybe that's significant) with this message:
>
> pages           > flushing realpage 10, userpage 10, subpage 10
> mtx-context     | fatal error: return code: 139
>
> What is code: 139? Where should I start looking for the culprit?
Hard to say (probably some mem/stack issue) ... you can add a
\tracingall around the place where the last message to the console
happens ... i need to know where it happens (or you can themn make a mwe
of that bit).

Hans

* Re: code 139
@ 2021-01-29 13:42   ` Thomas A. Schmitz
From: Thomas A. Schmitz @ 2021-01-29 13:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 1/29/21 12:56 PM, Hans Hagen wrote:
> Hard to say (probably some mem/stack issue) ... you can add a
> \tracingall around the place where the last message to the console
> happens ... i need to know where it happens (or you can themn make a mwe
> of that bit).

OK, here's a minimal example. I defined this environment some years ago
and have no clue why I did it this particular way (there must have been
a reason), so don't ask me. But it gives the "return code: 139."

\define[1]\italianpoetry%
{\framed[frame=off,offset=0pt,strut=no,width=10cm]{\framed[frame=off,strut=no,offset=0pt,width=fit,align=right]{\em
#1}}}

\starttext

\italianpoetry{
	    Morremo. Il velo indegno a terra sparto,
}

\stoptext

Thomas

* Re: code 139
@ 2021-01-29 15:27     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2021-01-29 15:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

> On 1/29/21 12:56 PM, Hans Hagen wrote:
>> Hard to say (probably some mem/stack issue) ... you can add a
>> \tracingall around the place where the last message to the console
>> happens ... i need to know where it happens (or you can themn make a
>> mwe of that bit).
>
> OK, here's a minimal example. I defined this environment some years ago
> and have no clue why I did it this particular way (there must have been
> a reason), so don't ask me. But it gives the "return code: 139."
>
> \define[1]\italianpoetry%
> {\framed[frame=off,offset=0pt,strut=no,width=10cm]{\framed[frame=off,strut=no,offset=0pt,width=fit,align=right]{\em
> #1}}}
>
> \starttext
>
> \italianpoetry{
>          Morremo. Il velo indegno a terra sparto,
> }
>
> \stoptext
fixed in next upload

* Re: code 139
@ 2021-01-29 16:16       ` Thomas A. Schmitz
From: Thomas A. Schmitz @ 2021-01-29 16:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

> On 29. Jan 2021, at 16:27, Hans Hagen <j.hagen@xs4all.nl> wrote:
>
> fixed in next upload

Thank you for the fix!

Thomas

* Re: code 139
@ 2021-01-29 16:55     ` Otared Kavian
From: Otared Kavian @ 2021-01-29 16:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Thomas,

Out of curiosity I tested your MWE and I get

	mtx-context | fatal error: return code: 11

with LMTX (version 2021.01.28 18:22), while with mkiv it typesets correctly.

Best regards: Otared

> On 29 Jan 2021, at 14:42, Thomas A. Schmitz <thomas.schmitz@uni-bonn.de> wrote:
>

> On 1/29/21 12:56 PM, Hans Hagen wrote:
>> Hard to say (probably some mem/stack issue) ... you can add a \tracingall around the place where the last message to the console happens ... i need to know where it happens (or you can themn make a mwe of that bit).
>
> OK, here's a minimal example. I defined this environment some years ago and have no clue why I did it this particular way (there must have been a reason), so don't ask me. But it gives the "return code: 139."
>
> \define[1]\italianpoetry%
> {\framed[frame=off,offset=0pt,strut=no,width=10cm]{\framed[frame=off,strut=no,offset=0pt,width=fit,align=right]{\em #1}}}
>
> \starttext
>
> \italianpoetry{
> 	    Morremo. Il velo indegno a terra sparto,
> }
>
> \stoptext
>
> Thomas

* Re: code 139
@ 2021-01-29 17:09       ` Thomas A. Schmitz
From: Thomas A. Schmitz @ 2021-01-29 17:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

> On 29. Jan 2021, at 17:55, Otared Kavian <otared@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Out of curiosity I tested your MWE and I get
>
> 	mtx-context | fatal error: return code: 11

Maybe lmtx uses the random number generator to produce its return codes? :-)

Thomas

* Re: code 139
@ 2021-01-29 18:00         ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2021-01-29 18:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

>> On 29. Jan 2021, at 17:55, Otared Kavian <otared@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Out of curiosity I tested your MWE and I get
>>
>> 	mtx-context | fatal error: return code: 11
>
> Maybe lmtx uses the random number generator to produce its return codes? :-)
139 is gcc mem warning

anyway, thomas' MWE wasn't minimal enough

{\tracingall\framed[align=right]{\em x}}

and even better:

{\tracingall\framed[align=right]{x\aftergroup\relax}}

it might give you a clue as it did me ..

the randomizer is only used to smuggle jokes into your text (only when
there are more than 200 pages and 30% of the symbols is greek)

Hans