From: "Thomas A. Schmitz" <thomas.schmitz@uni-bonn.de>
To: ntg-context@ntg.nl
Subject: columns yet again
Date: Sun, 13 Sep 2020 10:54:48 +0200	[thread overview]

Hi all,

I hope everybody made it back home safely after the meeting. It was
great listening in, even if I couldn't be there in person, unfortunately!

Today's question is an old one, but I'm confused. What I need: two
columns, of unequal width, the left column has line numbering; two
column layout starts in the middle of pages. What I tried so far:

1. \defineparagraphs  allows to have two paragraphs of unequal width,
but the line numbering isn't visible:

\setuppapersize[A4,landscape][A4,landscape]

\setuplayout[grid=yes]

\definelinenumbering
    [original]
	[step=2,location=text,align=flushright,distance=0.4cm,style=small,color=magenta]

\defineparagraphs [Half] [n=2]
\setupparagraphs [Half] [before=,after=,align=verytolerant]

\setupparagraphs [Half]
                  [1]
                  [width=0.45\textwidth]

\starttext

\startlinenumbering [original] [start=4]
Poetry

One

Word

Per

Line

is

Poetic

\stoplinenumbering

\nextHalf

Prose translation

\stopHalf

\stoptext

2. columnsets:\usemodule[old-columnsets]: unequal width, but no line
numbering:

\usemodule [old-columnsets]

\setuppapersize [A4,landscape][A4,landscape]

\setuplayout [grid=yes]

\definecolumnset [numbered] [n=2]
\setupcolumnset [numbered] [distance=0.5cm,frame=on]
\setupcolumnset [numbered:1] [width=4cm]
\setupcolumnset [numbered:2] [width=10cm]

\starttext

\startcolumnset [numbered]

\startlinenumbering[step=1,location=left]
Poetry

One

Word

Per

Line

is

Poetic\par % needed, otherwise last line is not indented correctly
\stoplinenumbering

\column

Two
\stopcolumnset

\stoptext

3. Same example without the first line: line numbers, but width is
ignored; both columns are of width 0.5\textwidth.

4. page columns: always start at new page.

5. \startcolumns: like 3.; equal width.

In addition, for reasons that are completely unclear to me, the example
from the columnsets manual (p. 32) does not compile:

\setuppapersize[A4,landscape][A4,landscape]

\setuplayout[grid=yes]

\showframe
\definecolumnset[example][n=3,page=left]
\setupbackgrounds[text][text][background=contrast]
\setupcolumnset[frame=on,framecolor=color-4,rulethickness=1mm]
\definecolor[fakerulecolor][white]
\setupcolumnset[example:1][width=2cm]
\setupcolumnset[example:2][width=4cm]
\setupcolumnset[example:3][width=3cm]
\setupcolumnset[example:4][width=3cm]
\setupcolumnset[example:5][width=4cm]
\setupcolumnset[example:6][width=6cm]
\starttext
\startcolumnset[example]
\dorecurse{5}{
\dorecurse{3}{\fakewords{10}{15}\par}
\column[yes]
}
\stopcolumnset
\stoptext

ends in "tex error       > tex error on line 23 in file /tmp/test.tex: !
Undefined control sequence

So I'm a bit confused: what I should use? What is the current status of
the diverse columns environments?

Have a nice Sunday!

Thomas