From: Giuseppe Bilotta <bourbaki@bigfoot.com>
Cc: ntg-context@ntg.nl, ntg-context@ntg.nl
Subject: Re[3]: Math module (Re[2]: web site)
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2001 13:23:00 +0100	[thread overview]

Wednesday, November 14, 2001 Hans Hagen wrote:

HH> At 05:25 PM 11/14/2001 +0100, Giuseppe Bilotta wrote:

>>I think that the only thing that needs to be done in ConTeXt core
>>is the math accent stuff. Everything else should be fine as it is
>>in Taco's module, except maybe for some font stuff which should be
>>adapted to the new ConTeXt internals. But this is for sure
>>something *I* am not able to do (would need to study ConTeXt font
>>internals thoroughly, and this is not the right moment).

HH> So, to summarize, we have several functions of the module:

HH> (1) fonts
HH> (2) amslatex compatible commands
HH> (3) breaking math

HH> Taco and I will handle (1) also because it is related to the new math
HH> symbol collections and mathml.

Yes, I've seen that most of all is there already (even if I seem
to have problems activating it ... how do you call the math symbol
collection? How do you call the symbols? Trying
\enablecollection[ams] and \symbol[varnothing] or \varnothing
fails!).

HH> If you can strip out all (2) and (3) specific thinsg (watch out: things
HH> like smashing are context core functionality) we can incrementaly replace
HH> m-math.

Uhm. I think that I will just strip (3) from the current module
--never used it, don't know how to handle it.

I will try to get something done with (2), but don't expect
anything useful too soon --I'm trying to study pretty hard for the
next couple of months.

HH> I will clean up (2) code anyway (at least check it for things that can go
HH> into math-ext instead of a module.)

Yes. The problem in (2) is that I will have to understand LaTeX
internals and how they are called, together with ConTeXt internals
and how to call them, because unless I go the "reimplementation
from stratch" way I will have to build some kind of emulation
code. Uhm.

HH> Btw, spacing issues (like classes of display math) are core functionality
HH> already but i may need to extend it., so there will be left overs "to do".

I need these. How do I access them? Are they documented? Which
ConTeXt module should I study?

HH> PS. Maybe entering math in mathml syntax makes more sense; at least it is a
HH> better way to control consistency.

No way! MathML (like all XML) is overkill and only makes sense if
an appropriate user interface (via editor or conversion) is build.

--
Giuseppe "Oblomov" Bilotta