* French...
@ 2002-02-01 16:45 David Chemouil
From: David Chemouil @ 2002-02-01 16:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

before Xmas, some of you told that configuration files were being
developed, so as to enable French guys to use Context. Which means
getting the possibility to use EC fonts, and performing a few
translations...

I would like to know if there are some news concerning this. I must say
that I do not use Context for this very reason, which bothers me quite a
lot, as it seems to be far more pleasant and 'clean' than Latex.

Thanks in advance,

dc

* Re: French...
@ 2002-02-01 19:08 ` Damien Wyart
From: Damien Wyart @ 2002-02-01 19:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

* David Chemouil <chemouil@irit.fr> [020201 17:45]:

> before Xmas, some of you told that configuration files were being
> developed, so as to enable French guys to use Context. Which means
> getting the possibility to use EC fonts, and performing a few
> translations... I would like to know if there are some news concerning
> this.

I had promised I would dive into all this (with Hans' help, if
possible), but lack of time is quite awful these days... This is a
project I have not dropped, but it is quite far in the TODO list :-( I
think I have the main needed elements grouped somewhere in my archives.

> I must say that I do not use Context for this very reason,

Same for me. And also the lack of time to learn it. This seems quite
complicated !

> which bothers me quite a lot, as it seems to be far more pleasant and
> 'clean' than Latex.

Yes, this is very attractive.

If there are other volunteers, they are welcome.

Best regards,
--
DW

* Re: French...
@ 2002-02-03 18:35 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2002-02-03 18:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ConTeXt NTG list

At 05:45 PM 2/1/2002 +0100, David Chemouil wrote:
>Hi,
>

>before Xmas, some of you told that configuration files were being
>developed, so as to enable French guys to use Context. Which means
>getting the possibility to use EC fonts, and performing a few
>translations...

actually, ec fonts are supported, but we may need to map a few more chars
(probably have to work out a better guillemot fall-back)

>I would like to know if there are some news concerning this. I must say
>that I do not use Context for this very reason, which bothers me quite a
>lot, as it seems to be far more pleasant and 'clean' than Latex.

there are only a few things needed for french (actually we have been doing
[educ] french for years):

-  probably a il-1 encoding vector (base is there)
-  checking labels (is probably already done)
-  implementing a few typical frehcn things, like spacing around : ; etc

that's really all needed, so just gimme the specs

[maybe we need to start organizing 'language dev groups' or coordinators]

Hans

                                   Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl
                                   fall-back web server:
www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: French...
@ 2002-02-03 18:36   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2002-02-03 18:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ConTeXt NTG list

At 08:08 PM 2/1/2002 +0100, Damien Wyart wrote:

>If there are other volunteers, they are welcome.

then why not make a small team, combine efforts, there really is not that
much needed probably