Hello Max, It is preferred if the solution is just three lines per paragraph, rather than some content parallel to the text...I'll be modifying whatever solution to fix a bunch of other situations (e.g. display a box next to each paragraph). --Joel On Monday, October 10, 2022 at 12:24:03 AM MDT, Max Chernoff wrote: Hi Joel, > I'd like to add some area for readers to write in the margins of some > text. This would leave three lines, like this to the right of the > text. Is it okay if there are rules continuously down the right column? If so, this is fairly simple to do with layers/backgrounds + MetaFun. If you want for there to be exactly three rules per paragraph, then that is more complicated. I can think of some bad solutions (\everypar, Lua callbacks), but I'll leave it to someone else to think of a good solution. Thanks, -- Max