From: Giuseppe Bilotta <gip.bilotta@iol.it>
Subject: Re[2]: In-paragraph display
Date: Mon, 2 Dec 2002 18:03:16 +0100	[thread overview]

Monday, December 2, 2002 Hans Hagen wrote:

HH> At 10:06 AM 12/1/2002 +0100, you wrote:
>>Hello,
>>
>>I'm going to bring the discussion back to a sore point that really

HH> hm, didn't know you were such a sore guy; don't get too depressed

LOL. I'm not depressed :)

HH> what you want is kind of tricky in the sense that i hate macros that have
HH> to adapt themselves to such fuzzy situations (actuall yit's one of the
HH> reasons why so many tex docs (books, manuals, whatever) around have lousy
HH> vertical spacing;

Uhm. I can't think of any example like that, really. The point is
that in ConTeXt as it is now a display (formula, itemization,
quotation, etc) is always forces a paragraph before and after,
which is not consistent with what the writer might want; think for
example of something like:

--------------
An introduction to the following:
* itemization
* one more item
and a conclusion, all in the same paragraph
--------------

versus

--------------
An introduction to the following:
* itemization
* one more item

Let's now talk about something else
--------------

HH>  anyhow, because i can't stand you crying:

> \def\displaybreak
>    {\ifhmode
>       \removeunwantedspaces
>       \ifcase\raggedstatus\hfill\fi
>       \strut\penalty-9999 % \break fails on case (3)
>     \fi}
>
> \def\startdisplay{\displaybreak\ignorespaces\startopelkaar}
> \def\stopdisplay {\stopopelkaar\displaybreak\ignorespaces}

Doesn't work. Try setting \setupindenting[medium] in your example;
you'll notice that each line starts a new paragraph, and this is
not what is wanted.

(1) the display should end the previous paragraph if and only if
\start... is preceded by an empty line

(2) the material following the \stop... should start a new
paragraph if and only if there is an empty line between the \stop
and the material

HH> The best solution of course is to define the proper instances of
HH> enviroments (math already has 'm)

All (displayed) blocks should have this feature. If you don't want
to break backwards compatibility, you could setup a couple of
options for \startstop pairs. As I proposed in another mail, it
should be tunable at a global level and on a per-\startstop level:
I propose a global switch like

\setupstartstops[break=always] % current ConTeXt behaviour
\setupstartstops[break=par]    % only start new paragraphs
                               % when there are empty lines

and local switches like:

\setupquotations[newpar=always] % current behaviour

where newpar can be always, (current behaviour, regardless of
global setting), default (follow general \startstop behaviour set
up by \setupstartstops) or par (start according to empty lines
regardless of global setting). Does it sound sensible?

--
Giuseppe "Oblomov" Bilotta