* Fwd: Re:  Math kerning broken in latest beta
       [not found] <f7dc796b-5055-2aa5-ab02-e45c8b637ed5@xs4all.nl>
@ 2018-04-11 15:23 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2018-04-11 15:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: Re: [NTG-context] Math kerning broken in latest beta
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2018 17:23:18 +0200
From: Hans Hagen <j.hagen@xs4all.nl>
To: Ulrike Fischer <news3@nililand.de>

On 4/11/2018 4:27 PM, Ulrike Fischer wrote:
> Am Wed, 11 Apr 2018 15:26:34 +0200 schrieb Hans Hagen:
>
>> The usual 'math italic mess' where fonts assume italic correction
>> instead of proper math kerns.
>
> Do you know a (free) math font with proper math kerns? I made a fast
> search through the lua files of my font cache but couldn't find
> anything saying "mathkern".
afaik only cambria has them but there has been a discussion about adding
them to gyre fonts but even italics and other thinsg are somewhat
inconsistent ... for instance some fonts have a traditional tex kind of
boundingbox approach, some don't .. it's a mess

Hans

* Re: Fwd: Re:  Math kerning broken in latest beta
@ 2018-04-11 22:10   ` Ulrike Fischer
From: Ulrike Fischer @ 2018-04-11 22:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Am Wed, 11 Apr 2018 17:23:35 +0200 schrieb Hans Hagen:

> afaik only cambria has them

But with cambria the subscript isn't correct either when it is a
single char:

\setupbodyfont[cambria]
\starttext
 $\gamma_{ee} \gamma_{e}$

 $T_{\tf fluff}$

 $T_{\tf f}$
\stoptext

(tested with ConTeXt  ver: 2018.04.04 00:51 MKIV beta  fmt:
2018.4.11)

--
Ulrike Fischer
http://www.troubleshooting-tex.de/

* Re: Fwd: Re: Math kerning broken in latest beta
@ 2018-04-12  8:06     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2018-04-12  8:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 4/12/2018 12:10 AM, Ulrike Fischer wrote:
> Am Wed, 11 Apr 2018 17:23:35 +0200 schrieb Hans Hagen:
>
>> afaik only cambria has them
>
> But with cambria the subscript isn't correct either when it is a
> single char:
>
> \setupbodyfont[cambria]
> \starttext
>   $\gamma_{ee} \gamma_{e}$
>
>   $T_{\tf fluff}$
>
>   $T_{\tf f}$
> \stoptext
>

> (tested with ConTeXt  ver: 2018.04.04 00:51 MKIV beta  fmt:
> 2018.4.11)
i'll look into it ... (but even cambria doesn't have all these kerns ..
as said: a mess)

i'll probably also tag the kerns to reflect when is used (more handy for
tracing)

@ 2018-04-20 14:22       ` Ulrike Fischer
From: Ulrike Fischer @ 2018-04-20 14:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Am Thu, 12 Apr 2018 10:06:17 +0200 schrieb Hans Hagen:

>> But with cambria the subscript isn't correct either when it is a
>> single char:
>>
>> \setupbodyfont[cambria]
>> \starttext
>>   $\gamma_{ee} \gamma_{e}$
>>
>>   $T_{\tf fluff}$
>>
>>   $T_{\tf f}$
>> \stoptext

> i'll look into it ... (but even cambria doesn't have all these kerns ..
> as said: a mess)

With the newest context the problem is gone. In latex too if I use
luatex 1.08 instead of luatex 1.07. So I guess it was an engine bug
;-).

--

@ 2018-04-22 18:08         ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2018-04-22 18:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 4/20/2018 4:22 PM, Ulrike Fischer wrote:
> Am Thu, 12 Apr 2018 10:06:17 +0200 schrieb Hans Hagen:
>
>>> But with cambria the subscript isn't correct either when it is a
>>> single char:
>>>
>>> \setupbodyfont[cambria]
>>> \starttext
>>>    $\gamma_{ee} \gamma_{e}$
>>>
>>>    $T_{\tf fluff}$
>>>
>>>    $T_{\tf f}$
>>> \stoptext
>
>> i'll look into it ... (but even cambria doesn't have all these kerns ..
>> as said: a mess)
>
> With the newest context the problem is gone. In latex too if I use
> luatex 1.08 instead of luatex 1.07. So I guess it was an engine bug
> ;-).
depends on ones view: it's controlled by a (yet another) variable now
that default to 'just inject them' but interference with proper math
kerns can happen in that case (it's just that not many fonts have both
of them) ... so, at some point in context (when we have better math
fonts) i'll add some checks and disable it selectively (because i don't
want that interference)

Hans