* what fonts I have in my systems?
@ 2004-09-14  0:16 ciro
From: ciro @ 2004-09-14  0:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

Is there a set of commands to know what fonts I have in my
installation of context? and How do I show them all together
without going one by one in the subdirectories...
thank you
Ciro

* Re: what fonts I have in my systems?
@ 2004-09-14  9:45 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2004-09-14  9:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

ciro wrote:

> Is there a set of commands to know what fonts I have in my
> installation of context? and How do I show them all together
> without going one by one in the subdirectories...
> thank you

there is no program for that

you can play with:

  http://www.ntg.nl:8061/fonttest.pdf

(or: http://www.ntg.nl:8061/exalogin)

to see what free fonts are in the tex distributions

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2004-09-14 10:30   ` Willi Egger
From: Willi Egger @ 2004-09-14 10:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Hans

Hans Hagen wrote:
> ciro wrote:
>
>> Is there a set of commands to know what fonts I have in my
>> installation of context? and How do I show them all together
>> without going one by one in the subdirectories...
>> thank you
>

> there is no program for that
>
> you can play with:
>
>  http://www.ntg.nl:8061/fonttest.pdf

When klicking the above link using Firefox and IE I get the following error:

	Example Server Status
	...date info ...
	request http:/www.ntg.nl:8061/fonttest.pdf can not be honored

What's up?

Kind regards Willi

@ 2004-09-14 10:59     ` Volker RW Schaa
From: Volker RW Schaa @ 2004-09-14 10:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Willi,
>>  http://www.ntg.nl:8061/fonttest.pdf
>>
> When klicking the above link using Firefox and IE I get the following
> error:
>
>     Example Server Status
>     ...date info ...
>     request http:/www.ntg.nl:8061/fonttest.pdf can not be honored

when executing the about link, the file "fonttest.pdf" you download,
is in reality a html file which contains exactly the above message.

So the error is on the ntg (Hans') side :-)

Cheers,
      Volker

PS: I found that with "http:/www.ntg.nl:8061/login" you get a login
     screen, but then...

* Re: what fonts I have in my systems?
@ 2004-09-14 12:59       ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2004-09-14 12:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 14.09.2004 um 12:59 schrieb Volker RW Schaa:
> when executing the about link, the file "fonttest.pdf" you download,
> is in reality a html file which contains exactly the above message.

No, but you need a properly installed PDF browser plugin.
(On a Mac I can see the pdf, but the simple PDF plugin by SchubertIT
can't handle links.)

> So the error is on the ntg (Hans') side :-)

I don't think so, besides trusting in PDF interfaces at all.

Grüßlis vom Hraban!
---
http://www.fiee.net/texnique/

* Re: what fonts I have in my systems?
@ 2004-09-14 16:13       ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2004-09-14 16:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

Volker RW Schaa wrote:

> Hi Willi,
>
>>>  http://www.ntg.nl:8061/fonttest.pdf
>>>
>> When klicking the above link using Firefox and IE I get the following
>> error:
>>
>>     Example Server Status
>>     ...date info ...
>>     request http:/www.ntg.nl:8061/fonttest.pdf can not be honored
>

> when executing the about link, the file "fonttest.pdf" you download,
> is in reality a html file which contains exactly the above message.
>
> So the error is on the ntg (Hans') side :-)

well, more in my head -) that direct link only works when one is logged in

> Cheers,
>      Volker
>
> PS: I found that with "http:/www.ntg.nl:8061/login" you get a login
>     screen, but then...

indeed, then ... just click 'submit' and you will get the default interface (the 4 values are used in more complex situations)

  http:/www.ntg.nl:8061/exalogin

is the fast link, and after that click on fonttest

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2004-09-14 16:31         ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2004-09-14 16:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

Henning Hraban Ramm wrote:

> Am 14.09.2004 um 12:59 schrieb Volker RW Schaa:
>
>> when executing the about link, the file "fonttest.pdf" you download,
>> is in reality a html file which contains exactly the above message.
>

> No, but you need a properly installed PDF browser plugin.
> (On a Mac I can see the pdf, but the simple PDF plugin by SchubertIT
> can't handle links.)
>
>> So the error is on the ntg (Hans') side :-)
>

> I don't think so, besides trusting in PDF interfaces at all.

in due time i will provide an html interface as well

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2004-09-14 17:36         ` Willi Egger
From: Willi Egger @ 2004-09-14 17:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Hans et al.

Aha, some times "big steps won't bring you home earlier" as the Dutch
say. Indeed with the http:/www.ntg.nl:8061/exalogin everything work
fine! - Playing with this tool is fun and allows experimenting in an
easy way. Thanks Hans.

Willi

@ 2004-09-16 12:20 ` Tobias Hilbricht
From: Tobias Hilbricht @ 2004-09-16 12:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am Di, den 14.09.2004 schrieb ciro um 04:16:
> Is there a set of commands to know what fonts I have in my
> installation of context? and How do I show them all together
> without going one by one in the subdirectories...
> thank you

Dear Ciro,
I used the following shell skript, which was one and a half years ago on
http://www.educat.hu-berlin.de/~voss/lyx/fonts/fonts.phtml

fontdemo.sh

-------------

find `kpsewhich -expand-var='$TEXMFMAIN'`/fonts/tfm -name '*.tfm' -print
| \
	sed 's@.*/@@; s@\.tfm$@@' | \
	xargs sh -c 'for i in "$@"; do (echo $i; echo \\\sample\\\bye) | \
	tex testfont; mv testfont.dvi $i.dvi; echo $i.dvi; done' sh

-------------

It gives you one dvi-file per installed font in your TeX-System - that
is usually a lot.

Yours sincerely

Tobias Hilbricht

* Re: what fonts I have in my systems?
@ 2004-09-20  9:41 ` Tobias Hilbricht
From: Tobias Hilbricht @ 2004-09-20  9:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am Sa, den 18.09.2004 schrieb ciro um 05:15:
> Thank you to Tobias Hilbricht for the script.
> It is exactly what I was looking for.
>
> I notice that the command "testfont"
> is not a command with the backslash "\"

testfont refers to the file testfont.tex in  the directory
texmf/doc/generic/fontinst/test/testfont.tex
it is not a command

> Is there any way to create one single file with
> a \sample page for each font installed in my computer?

...echo \\\sample\\\bye)... in the script are commands you have to feed
into testfont.tex in order to get a font sample - see documentation. You
can use other test files and adapt the script accordingly.

> Dear Ciro,
> I used the following shell skript, which was one and a half years ago
> on
> http://www.educat.hu-berlin.de/~voss/lyx/fonts/fonts.phtml
>
> fontdemo.sh
>
> -------------
>
> find `kpsewhich -expand-var='$TEXMFMAIN'`/fonts/tfm -name '*.tfm'
> -print
> | \
> xargs sh -c 'for i in "$@"; do (echo $i; echo \\\sample\\\bye) | \
> tex testfont; mv testfont.dvi $i.dvi; echo $i.dvi; done' sh

Yours sincerely

Tobias Hilbricht

* Re: what fonts I have in my systems?
@ 2004-09-18  1:15 ciro