* Lulu
@ 2007-09-03 23:43 Andrea Valle
From: Andrea Valle @ 2007-09-03 23:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

In my last post I was saying that I'm tinkering about the idea of
using Lulu.
It seems to be difficult with ConTeXt:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lulu.com#_note-3

(Lack of full support for open formats)

Best

-a-

Andrea Valle
CIRMA - DAMS
Università degli Studi di Torino
--> http://www.cirma.unito.it/andrea/
--> andrea.valle@unito.it

I did this interview where I just mentioned that I read Foucault. Who
doesn't in university, right? I was in this strip club giving this
guy a lap dance and all he wanted to do was to discuss Foucault with
me. Well, I can stand naked and do my little dance, or I can discuss
Foucault, but not at the same time; too much information.
(Annabel Chong)

* Re: Lulu
@ 2007-09-04  3:03 ` Steve Peter
From: Steve Peter @ 2007-09-04  3:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sep 3, 2007, at 7:43 PM, Andrea Valle wrote:

> In my last post I was saying that I'm tinkering about the idea of
> using Lulu.
> It seems to be difficult with ConTeXt:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lulu.com#_note-3
>
> (Lack of full support for open formats)

Hmm. I know that this:

http://www.lulu.com/content/113810

was generated with TeX.

* Re: Lulu
@ 2007-09-04 15:32 ` Pascal de Bruijn
From: Pascal de Bruijn @ 2007-09-04 15:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 2007-09-04 at 01:43 +0200, Andrea Valle wrote:
> In my last post I was saying that I'm tinkering about the idea of
> using Lulu.
> It seems to be difficult with ConTeXt:
>

> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lulu.com#_note-3
>

> (Lack of full support for open formats)

I did this with LaTeX/Memoir/pdfTeX:
http://www.lulu.com/content/866835

And I ordered a copy which was just printed fine.

Although they officially only accept PDFs generated with Adobe Acrobat,
what they mean, is that they only guarantee that proper PDFs will print.
Many tools generate semi rotten PDFs.

I usually run 'pdfopt' on a PDF, which web optimizes a PDF by indexing
it's resources. Pdfopt usually errors on a rotten PDF, so this _can_ be
an indicator whether or not it'll print with Lulu. It's no guarantee
though.

So Lulu's policy seems rather bad on the surface, in practice working
with Lulu isn't that bad at all.

Regards,
Pascal de Bruijn

--