* mkiv: Charis SIL / SmallCaps
@ 2013-01-17 22:16 Zenlima
From: Zenlima @ 2013-01-17 22:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

I wonder how to make that the font Chris SIL
(http://scripts.sil.org/cms/scripts/page.php?site_id=nrsi&id=CharisSIL_download)
displays its Smallcaps. I checked the font with fontforge and it really
contains the Smallcaps and also the smcp table.

But for whatever reason I cannot get context to show the smallcaps. I
tried an example out of this mailing list:

\definefontfeature[smallcapitals] [smcp=yes]
\definefontfeature[oldstylenumber][onum=yes]

%\setupbodyfont[pagella]
\setupbodyfont [charissil]

\starttext

{VA abc \setff{smallcapitals} VA abc}
{VA abc \addff{smallcapitals} VA abc}
{12345 \setff{oldstylenumber} 12345}
{VA {\kap VAabc}}
{VA {\cap VAabc}}
{VA {\CAP VAabc}}
{VA {\sc VAabc}}

\stoptext

In the above example I only get smallcaps with the \kap and \cap - but
then also the big letters are transformed into smallcaps :-(.

With pagella is works fine - but not with charissil. What have I to do
in order the get the smallcaps to work with context?

Thanks,
H.

* Re: mkiv: Charis SIL / SmallCaps
@ 2013-01-17 22:53 ` Marco Patzer
From: Marco Patzer @ 2013-01-17 22:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 2013–01–17 Zenlima wrote:

> But for whatever reason I cannot get context to show the smallcaps. I
> tried an example out of this mailing list:
>
> \definefontfeature[smallcapitals] [smcp=yes]

\definefontfeature[smallcapitals] [smcp=yes, script=latn]

Marco

* Re: mkiv: Charis SIL / SmallCaps
@ 2013-01-17 23:16   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2013-01-17 23:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 1/17/2013 11:53 PM, Marco Patzer wrote:
> On 2013–01–17 Zenlima wrote:
>
>> But for whatever reason I cannot get context to show the smallcaps. I
>> tried an example out of this mailing list:
>>
>> \definefontfeature[smallcapitals] [smcp=yes]
>
> \definefontfeature[smallcapitals] [smcp=yes, script=latn]

\definefontfeature[smallcapitals] [default] [smcp=yes, script=latn]

or otherwise also set up kerns

btw, there is a smallcaps feature predefined.

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2013-01-21 11:27     ` Zenlima
From: Zenlima @ 2013-01-21 11:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hi,

thanks! Now it works with the \setff{..} command.

> or otherwise also set up kerns

Sorry, I dont understand what you mean with this. Can you explain it?

> btw, there is a smallcaps feature predefined.

I thought the \sc is the predefined command for the smallcaps font
feature. Am I wrong?

@ 2013-01-21 17:40       ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2013-01-21 17:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 21.01.2013 um 12:27 schrieb Zenlima <post@zenlima.eu>:

> Hi,
>
> thanks! Now it works with the \setff{..} command.
>
>> or otherwise also set up kerns
>
> Sorry, I dont understand what you mean with this. Can you explain it?

When you use

  \definefontfeature[smallcapitals][..,..=..,..]

you have to add “kern=yes” to the list because no kerning happens otherwise.

>> btw, there is a smallcaps feature predefined.
>
> I thought the \sc is the predefined command for the smallcaps font
> feature. Am I wrong?

No, like the \it. \bf etc commands \sc is a font switch which uses for Latin Modern
a separate font file which contains instead of lowercase letter small capitals, for other
fonts the \sc command load the upright font where the “smallcaps” feature set is
used instead of the “default” set.

Wolfgang