On Wed, 2005-05-18 at 00:01 +0200, Hans Hagen wrote: > Stuart Jansen wrote: > > While I appreciate TeX's support for attractive curly quotes, when > > representing console text it is important to use straight single and > > double quotes. I've been googling, exploring the list archives, reading > > the source, and beating my head against a nice blue pillar over by the > > window. None of these approaches has resulting in a straight single > > quote. > > > > What is the best way to get a straight single quote that matches the > > straight double quote of the current font? > > \type{"} > > \type{'} To expand on Hans' somewhat curt response for the next poor sap to stumble down this road: "This is actually quite simple. Just make sure you're using a font that includes a straight single quote. Computer Modern doesn't have one." Unfortunately, that doesn't actually appear to be the solution. On my system at least, I'm getting commas with a raised baseline, not single quotes. I've attached a PDF that demonstrates. Is using a different font encoding worth exploring? -- Stuart Jansen Guru Labs, L.C.