* straight single quote
@ 2005-05-17 21:07 Stuart Jansen
From: Stuart Jansen @ 2005-05-17 21:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

While I appreciate TeX's support for attractive curly quotes, when
representing console text it is important to use straight single and
double quotes. I've been googling, exploring the list archives, reading
the source, and beating my head against a nice blue pillar over by the
window. None of these approaches has resulting in a straight single
quote.

What is the best way to get a straight single quote that matches the
straight double quote of the current font?

--
Stuart Jansen <sjansen@gurulabs.com>
Guru Labs, L.C.

* Re: straight single quote
@ 2005-05-17 22:01 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2005-05-17 22:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

Stuart Jansen wrote:
> While I appreciate TeX's support for attractive curly quotes, when
> representing console text it is important to use straight single and
> double quotes. I've been googling, exploring the list archives, reading
> the source, and beating my head against a nice blue pillar over by the
> window. None of these approaches has resulting in a straight single
> quote.
>
> What is the best way to get a straight single quote that matches the
> straight double quote of the current font?

\type{"}

\type{'}

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: straight single quote
@ 2005-05-18  0:08   ` Stuart Jansen
From: Stuart Jansen @ 2005-05-18  0:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

[-- Attachment #1.1.1: Type: text/plain, Size: 1170 bytes --]

On Wed, 2005-05-18 at 00:01 +0200, Hans Hagen wrote:
> Stuart Jansen wrote:
> > While I appreciate TeX's support for attractive curly quotes, when
> > representing console text it is important to use straight single and
> > double quotes. I've been googling, exploring the list archives, reading
> > the source, and beating my head against a nice blue pillar over by the
> > window. None of these approaches has resulting in a straight single
> > quote.
> >
> > What is the best way to get a straight single quote that matches the
> > straight double quote of the current font?
>
> \type{"}
>
> \type{'}

To expand on Hans' somewhat curt response for the next poor sap to
stumble down this road: "This is actually quite simple. Just make sure
you're using a font that includes a straight single quote. Computer
Modern doesn't have one."

Unfortunately, that doesn't actually appear to be the solution. On my
system at least, I'm getting commas with a raised baseline, not single
quotes. I've attached a PDF that demonstrates.

Is using a different font encoding worth exploring?

--
Stuart Jansen <sjansen@gurulabs.com>
Guru Labs, L.C.

[-- Attachment #1.1.2: single_quote.pdf --]

* Re: straight single quote - solution found but not understood
@ 2005-05-18 17:15     ` Stuart Jansen
From: Stuart Jansen @ 2005-05-18 17:15 UTC (permalink / raw)