Well, I found the character I want in the two fonts I'm using. I'm sure I don't understand all of the details, however. \char129 gives the character I want, a true straight single quote. My research seems to indicate that the position should be influenced by the encoding of the current font, but this doesn't appear to be the case. A cursory examination of \usetypescript [sans] [vera] [ec] \usetypescript [sans] [vera] [texnansi] \usetypescript [sans] [vera] [8r] all appear to produce the same result. -- Stuart Jansen Guru Labs, L.C.