* bibtex doesnt find stylefiles in TEXMFHOME on context standalone
@ 2012-03-10 14:32 Eidenbenz  Michael
From: Eidenbenz  Michael @ 2012-03-10 14:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

hello list,

i recently installed the lastest beta (2012.03.05) as standalone alongside TexLive with the latest stable version (2011.05.18)
i use some custom stylefiles ( bst and bibl) for bibtex that are placed in my TEXMFHOME Directory that is $HOME/Library/texmf on osx.

now context beta finds all the files in my TEXMFHOME but bibtex doesnt.

i guess this has to do something to do with kpathsea etc. but i'm very new to TeX and am a little bit lost here. can sombody guide me in the right direction how to solve this.

i did run mktexlsr but this doesnt helped.

thanks michael

* Re: bibtex doesnt find stylefiles in TEXMFHOME on context standalone
@ 2012-03-10 14:56 ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2012-03-10 14:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, Mar 10, 2012 at 15:32, Eidenbenz Michael wrote:
> hello list,
>
> i recently installed the lastest beta (2012.03.05) as standalone alongside TexLive with the latest stable version (2011.05.18)
> i use some custom stylefiles ( bst and bibl) for bibtex that are placed in my TEXMFHOME Directory that is $HOME/Library/texmf on osx.
>
> now context beta finds all the files in my TEXMFHOME but bibtex doesnt.

How/where exactly did you change settings for TEXMFHOME? I'm asking
because it is set to $HOME/texmf in ConTeXt distribution by default.

> i guess this has to do something to do with kpathsea etc. but i'm very new to TeX and am a little bit lost here. can sombody guide me in the right direction how to solve this.

The settings are in texmf/web2c/texmf.cnf. The relevant parts are

TEXMFHOME     = $HOME/texmf
TEXMF         =
{$TEXMFHOME,!!$TEXMFPROJECT,!!$TEXMFFONTS,!!$TEXMFLOCAL,!!$TEXMFMODULES,!!$TEXMFCONTEXT,!!$TEXMFOS,!!$TEXMFEXTRA,!!$TEXMFMAIN}

and

BSTINPUTS         = .;$TEXMF/bibtex/bst//
BIBINPUTS         = .;$TEXMF/bibtex/bib//

You can override these settings in texmf-local/web2c/texmf.cnf (I hope
so at least, I never tested it).

You can test the setting by running
    kpsewhich --expand-path '$BIBINPUTS'
    kpsewhich --expand-path '$BSTINPUTS'
but I can confirm that this returns utterly weird results here. For
BIBINPUTS I only get current directory and for BSTINPUTS I get
    .:/contextroot/texmf-context/bibtex/bst:/contextroot/texmf-context/bibtex/bst/context
which is wrong. But I'm clueless why this happens. The two variables
seem to work fine in TeX Live.

Mojca

* Re: bibtex doesnt find stylefiles in TEXMFHOME on context standalone
@ 2012-03-10 15:05   ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2012-03-10 15:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, Mar 10, 2012 at 15:56, Mojca Miklavec wrote:

> You can test the setting by running
>    kpsewhich --expand-path '$BIBINPUTS'
>    kpsewhich --expand-path '$BSTINPUTS'
> but I can confirm that this returns utterly weird results here. For
> BIBINPUTS I only get current directory and for BSTINPUTS I get
>    .:/contextroot/texmf-context/bibtex/bst:/contextroot/texmf-context/bibtex/bst/context
> which is wrong. But I'm clueless why this happens.

I'm sorry. You should test with
    kpsewhich --expand-var '$BIBINPUTS'
    kpsewhich --expand-var '$BSTINPUTS'
instead.

It seems that --expand-path only returns paths where there is some
actual content.

However I didn't test if bibtex actually finds anything. I still think
that after setting
    export TEXMFHOME=$HOME/Library/texmf
bibtex should be able to find your files. (And once you figure out
whether this works, you can change the settings in
texmf-local/web2c/texmf.cnf)

Mojca

* Re: bibtex doesnt find stylefiles in TEXMFHOME on context standalone
@ 2012-03-10 16:04     ` Eidenbenz  Michael
From: Eidenbenz  Michael @ 2012-03-10 16:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear Mojca,

thanks a lot!

i changed my TEXMFHOME only in texmfcnf.lua. not in in texmf.cnf. now i did this and bibtex works fine.

I really don't know how the difference between the twos ... i was just hacking.
but it seems to me that texmfcnf.lua handles all context specific files (eg my typscripts and bibl files) while texmf.cnf is responsible for bibtex stuff (eg my bst. file)

anyway now it works.

best michael

@ 2012-03-10 18:56       ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2012-03-10 18:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, Mar 10, 2012 at 17:04, Eidenbenz Michael wrote:
> Dear Mojca,
>
> thanks a lot!
>
> i changed my TEXMFHOME only in texmfcnf.lua. not in in texmf.cnf. now i did this and bibtex works fine.

Just make sure that you do that in texmf-local, else the file will be
overwritten during next update.

> I really don't know how the difference between the twos ... i was just hacking.

texmfcnf.lua is Hans's version (derived from texmf.cnf) that's being
used in ConTeXt MKIV only.

texmf.cnf is pretty old and is being used by all other TeX-related programs.

I'm glad that it solved the problem.

Mojca