* typescript / variants question
@ 2007-07-04 16:47 Patrick Gundlach
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2007-07-04 16:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hi,

I use oldstyle digits with a typescript using variants such as
"\Var[osf]" to get oldstyle digits. How do I get _all_ digits,
including the page number in oldstyle?

\setuppagenumbering[style={\Var[osf]}] would be a solution, but it
looks more like a hack - I'd like to have a complete setup.

This is my typescript:

\starttypescript [map] [termes] [texnansi]
 \loadmapfile [termes.map]
\stoptypescript
\starttypescript [serif] [termes] [name]
 \definefontsynonym  [Serif] [TeXGyreTermes-Regular]
 \definefontsynonym  [SerifCaps] [TeXGyreTermes-RegularCaps]
 \definefontsynonym  [SerifBold] [TeXGyreTermes-Bold]
 \definefontsynonym  [SerifBoldCaps] [TeXGyreTermes-BoldCaps]
 \definefontsynonym  [SerifItalic] [TeXGyreTermes-Italic]
 \definefontsynonym  [SerifItalicCaps] [TeXGyreTermes-ItalicCaps]
 \definefontsynonym  [SerifBoldItalic] [TeXGyreTermes-BoldItalic]
 \definefontsynonym  [SerifBoldItalicCaps] [TeXGyreTermes-BoldItalicCaps]
 \definefontsynonym  [SerifRegularOsF] [TeXGyreTermes-RegularOsF]
 \definefontsynonym  [SerifBoldOsF] [TeXGyreTermes-BoldOsF]
 \definefontsynonym  [SerifItalicOsF] [TeXGyreTermes-ItalicOsF]
 \definefontsynonym  [SerifBoldItalicOsF] [TeXGyreTermes-BoldItalicOsF]
 \definefontvariant  [Serif][osf][OsF]
 \definefontsynonym  [SerifRegular]       [Serif]
\stoptypescript
\starttypescript [serif] [termes] [texnansi]
 \definefontsynonym [TeXGyreTermes-Regular]        [TeXGyreTermes-Regular--texnansi--Fkern--Fliga] [encoding=texnansi]
 \definefontsynonym [TeXGyreTermes-RegularCaps]    [TeXGyreTermes-Regular--texnansi--Fkern--Fliga--Fsmcp] [encoding=texnansi]
 \definefontsynonym [TeXGyreTermes-Bold]           [TeXGyreTermes-Bold--texnansi--Fkern--Fliga] [encoding=texnansi]
 \definefontsynonym [TeXGyreTermes-BoldCaps]       [TeXGyreTermes-Bold--texnansi--Fkern--Fliga--Fsmcp] [encoding=texnansi]
 \definefontsynonym [TeXGyreTermes-Italic]         [TeXGyreTermes-Italic--texnansi--Fkern--Fliga] [encoding=texnansi]
 \definefontsynonym [TeXGyreTermes-ItalicCaps]     [TeXGyreTermes-Italic--texnansi--Fkern--Fliga--Fsmcp] [encoding=texnansi]
 \definefontsynonym [TeXGyreTermes-BoldItalic]     [TeXGyreTermes-BoldItalic--texnansi--Fkern--Fliga] [encoding=texnansi]
 \definefontsynonym [TeXGyreTermes-BoldItalicCaps] [TeXGyreTermes-BoldItalic--texnansi--Fkern--Fliga--Fsmcp] [encoding=texnansi]
 \definefontsynonym [TeXGyreTermes-RegularOsF]     [TeXGyreTermes-Regular--texnansi--Fkern--Fliga--Fonum] [encoding=texnansi]
 \definefontsynonym [TeXGyreTermes-BoldOsF]        [TeXGyreTermes-Bold--texnansi--Fkern--Fliga--Fonum] [encoding=texnansi]
 \definefontsynonym [TeXGyreTermes-ItalicOsF]      [TeXGyreTermes-Italic--texnansi--Fkern--Fliga--Fonum] [encoding=texnansi]
 \definefontsynonym [TeXGyreTermes-BoldItalicOsF]  [TeXGyreTermes-BoldItalic--texnansi--Fkern--Fliga--Fonum] [encoding=texnansi]
\stoptypescript
\starttypescript [termes]
\definetypeface [termes][rm][serif] [termes][default][encoding=texnansi]
\stoptypescript

and this is my example file:

\preloadtypescripts
\setupencoding[default=texnansi]
\usetypescriptfile[type-termes]
\usetypescript[termes]
\definetypeface [sample][rm][serif][termes][default][encoding=texnansi]
\definebodyfontenvironment [termes][14pt][interlinespace=20pt]
\setupbodyfont[sample,serif,14pt]
\enableregime[utf-8]
\setuptolerance [tolerant]
\starttext
\input tufte
0123456789
\Var[osf]
\input tufte
0123456789
\stoptext

* Re: typescript / variants question
@ 2007-07-05  5:50 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2007-07-05  5:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

2007/7/4, Patrick Gundlach <patrick@gundla.ch>:
> Hi,
>
> I use oldstyle digits with a typescript using variants such as
> "\Var[osf]" to get oldstyle digits. How do I get _all_ digits,
> including the page number in oldstyle?
>
> \setuppagenumbering[style={\Var[osf]}] would be a solution, but it
> looks more like a hack - I'd like to have a complete setup.
>
> This is my typescript:

> \starttypescript [map] [termes] [texnansi]
[...]
> \stoptypescript
>
> and this is my example file:

[...]
> Patrick

Hi Patrick,

this was answered only a few days ago in the thread ,,automatic
oldstyle numerals``

http://www.ntg.nl/pipermail/ntg-context/2007/025795.html

Wolfgang

* Re: typescript / variants question
@ 2007-07-05  7:52 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2007-07-05  7:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

2007/7/4, Patrick Gundlach <patrick@gundla.ch>:
> Hi,
>
> I use oldstyle digits with a typescript using variants such as
> "\Var[osf]" to get oldstyle digits. How do I get _all_ digits,
> including the page number in oldstyle?
>
> \setuppagenumbering[style={\Var[osf]}] would be a solution, but it
> looks more like a hack - I'd like to have a complete setup.

[...]

change this:

\starttypescript [map] [termes,termes-os] [texnansi]
 \loadmapfile [termes.map]
\stoptypescript

add this:

\starttypescript [serif] [termes-os] [name]
 \definefontsynonym  [Serif]           [TeXGyreTermes-RegularOsF]
 \definefontsynonym  [SerifBold]       [TeXGyreTermes-BoldOsF]
 \definefontsynonym  [SerifItalic]     [TeXGyreTermes-ItalicOsF]
 \definefontsynonym  [SerifBoldItalic] [TeXGyreTermes-BoldItalicOsF]
\stoptypescript

change this:

\starttypescript [serif] [termes,termes-os] [texnansi]
\stoptypescript

change this:

\starttypescript [termes]
 \definetypeface [termes]   [rm][serif][termes]   [default][encoding=texnansi]
 \definetypeface [termes-os][rm][serif][termes-os][default][encoding=texnansi]
\stoptypescript

or add this:

\starttypescript [termes-os]
 \definetypeface [termes][rm][serif][termes-os][default][encoding=texnansi]
\stoptypescript

> and this is my example file:

> \preloadtypescripts
> \setupencoding[default=texnansi]

[...]

\usetypescript[termes]
\setupbodyfont[termes] % normal figures
\setupbodyfont[termes-os] % oldstyle figures

or

\usetypescript[termes-os]
\setupbodyfont[termes]

> \enableregime[utf-8]
> \setuptolerance [tolerant]
> \starttext
> \input tufte
> 0123456789
> \Var[osf]
> \input tufte
> 0123456789
> \stoptext
>

> Patrick

Wolfgang

* Re: typescript / variants question
@ 2007-07-05 21:36   ` Patrick Gundlach
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2007-07-05 21:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

>> I use oldstyle digits with a typescript using variants such as
>> "\Var[osf]" to get oldstyle digits. How do I get _all_ digits,
>> including the page number in oldstyle?
>>
>> \setuppagenumbering[style={\Var[osf]}] would be a solution, but it
>> looks more like a hack - I'd like to have a complete setup.
>>
>> This is my typescript:

> this was answered only a few days ago in the thread ,,automatic
> oldstyle numerals``
>
> http://www.ntg.nl/pipermail/ntg-context/2007/025795.html

I guess you refer to the thread started from Alan? (I am currently
offline.) My post is actually an attempt to use a slightly different
approach, so I am perfectly aware of that thread.

My point is, there should be a way to say 'before processing this
document, switch to osf with \Var[osf] or something equivalent'. I
don't want to deal with typescripts just for that. I have created a
typescript already that includes oldstyle figures. IMO it should be
possible to say \Var[<something>] for the whole document.

Patrick

* Re: typescript / variants question
@ 2007-07-06  8:26     ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2007-07-06  8:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

2007/7/5, Patrick Gundlach <patrick@gundla.ch>:

> >> I use oldstyle digits with a typescript using variants such as
> >> "\Var[osf]" to get oldstyle digits. How do I get _all_ digits,
> >> including the page number in oldstyle?
> >>
> >> \setuppagenumbering[style={\Var[osf]}] would be a solution, but it
> >> looks more like a hack - I'd like to have a complete setup.
> >>
> >> This is my typescript:
>
> > this was answered only a few days ago in the thread ,,automatic
> > oldstyle numerals``
> >
> > http://www.ntg.nl/pipermail/ntg-context/2007/025795.html
>
> I guess you refer to the thread started from Alan? (I am currently
> offline.) My post is actually an attempt to use a slightly different
> approach, so I am perfectly aware of that thread.
>
> My point is, there should be a way to say 'before processing this
> document, switch to osf with \Var[osf] or something equivalent'. I
> don't want to deal with typescripts just for that. I have created a
> typescript already that includes oldstyle figures. IMO it should be
> possible to say \Var[<something>] for the whole document.
>
> Patrick

The only method I know is the one I show in my former message with
the termes-os typescipts. It would be nice to have something built-in
to choose small caps, old style and tabular figures with \setupbodyfont
and \switchtobodyfont like you can do with sans, mono ... fonts.

For example:
\setupbodyfont[fontname] for lining figures
\setupbodyfont[fontname,os] for oldstyle figures

Wolfgang