* Re: OpenType features in XeTeX (Was: Some update woes on Linux)
@ 2007-11-12 15:12 Jeff Smith
From: Jeff Smith @ 2007-11-12 15:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Nov 10, 2007 9:23 PM, Mojca Miklavec <mojca.miklavec.lists@gmail.com> wrote:

> You can say (features=default is optional)
>     \definefontsynonym[SomeFont][name:Font Name][features=default]
> which means that XeTeX will call the font
>     \font\somefont="FontName;mapping=tex-text,..." (tex-text is
> implied by features=default)

Is [features=default] the place where we can access OpenType features?
Let's say I have an OpenType font with several number styles (regular,
proportional, etc.). Is it possible to use them? I've always wanted to
ask this and be sure. Now seems the good time. :-)

Thanks,
Jeff

* Re: OpenType features in XeTeX (Was: Some update woes on Linux)
@ 2007-11-12 15:58 ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2007-11-12 15:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Nov 12, 2007 4:12 PM, Jeff Smith wrote:
> On Nov 10, 2007 9:23 PM, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
>
> > You can say (features=default is optional)
> >     \definefontsynonym[SomeFont][name:Font Name][features=default]
> > which means that XeTeX will call the font
> >     \font\somefont="FontName;mapping=tex-text,..." (tex-text is
> > implied by features=default)
> >

> Is [features=default] the place where we can access OpenType features?
> Let's say I have an OpenType font with several number styles (regular,
> proportional, etc.). Is it possible to use them? I've always wanted to
> ask this and be sure. Now seems the good time. :-)

I've sent this example to the mailing list once, so let's assume that
it still works :)
slant= and extend= are some features that are specific to XeTeX, not
to OpenType fonts themselves, but other features should in the same
way, I guess. I need to check once more, but one or more of the
features in the first line map to "mapping=tex-text", onum=yes maps to
+onum etc.

However, I don't know if there's a quick hack to say
   [features={default,slant=0.25}]
or something equal (thus applying only some features on top of an
already existing set).

\definefontfeature
  [slantedandextended]
   % cloned from "default", not all of them are really needed, if any at all
  [method=node,script=latn,language=dflt,liga=yes,onum=yes,kern=yes,
   slant=0.25,extend=1.5]
\definefontsynonym
  [myfont]
  [file:texgyrepagella-regular][features=slantedandextended]

\starttext
\definedfont[myfont] This is slanted and extended
\stoptext

Mojca

* Re: OpenType features in XeTeX (Was: Some update woes on Linux)
@ 2007-11-12 16:00 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2007-11-12 16:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

2007/11/12, Jeff Smith <ascarel@gmail.com>:
> On Nov 10, 2007 9:23 PM, Mojca Miklavec <mojca.miklavec.lists@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > You can say (features=default is optional)
> >     \definefontsynonym[SomeFont][name:Font Name][features=default]
> > which means that XeTeX will call the font
> >     \font\somefont="FontName;mapping=tex-text,..." (tex-text is
> > implied by features=default)
> >

> Is [features=default] the place where we can access OpenType features?
> Let's say I have an OpenType font with several number styles (regular,
> proportional, etc.). Is it possible to use them? I've always wanted to
> ask this and be sure. Now seems the good time. :-)

You can define your own features sets with \definefontfeature and use this
set later with "features=my feature set", "default" is only one of ConTeXt's
predefined feature sets but you define your own with every option you need.

A definition looks like:

\definefontfeature
  [my features]
  [a list of OpenType features]

You can enable features in the list with "feature=yes" and diable it
with "feature=no".

ConTeXt's three predefined features sets are

- default (ligaures and kerning, plus tex-text in XeTeX)
- smallcaps (default plus smallcaps)
- oldstyle (default plus oldstyle numerals)

Wolfgang

* Re: OpenType features in XeTeX (Was: Some update woes on Linux)
@ 2007-11-13  3:08   ` Jeff Smith
From: Jeff Smith @ 2007-11-13  3:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Nov 12, 2007 11:00 AM, Wolfgang Schuster
<schuster.wolfgang@googlemail.com> wrote:
> > Is [features=default] the place where we can access OpenType features?
> > Let's say I have an OpenType font with several number styles (regular,
> > proportional, etc.). Is it possible to use them? I've always wanted to
> > ask this and be sure. Now seems the good time. :-)
>
> You can define your own features sets with \definefontfeature and use this
> set later with "features=my feature set", "default" is only one of ConTeXt's
> predefined feature sets but you define your own with every option you need.

Thank you VERY much Mojca and Wolfgang! With XeTeX now I can use the
oldstyle numerals with my system-installed OpenType fonts. :-) I'm
very, very happy with that. I really thought I had to wait for LuaTeX
for that.

Now, to push the features topic further on, before experimenting a bit
I'd like to ask... does XeTeX support *all* OTF features? Well, I
don't want to use all of them, but some more included with my font,
and while I'm pretty sure it supports 'pnum', as it supports 'onum',
I would also use the built-in superscript ('sups') and subscript
('subs') numerals.

Thanks again!
Jeff

* Re: OpenType features in XeTeX (Was: Some update woes on Linux)
@ 2007-11-13  9:53     ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2007-11-13  9:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

2007/11/13, Jeff Smith <ascarel@gmail.com>:
> On Nov 12, 2007 11:00 AM, Wolfgang Schuster
> <schuster.wolfgang@googlemail.com> wrote:
> > > Is [features=default] the place where we can access OpenType features?
> > > Let's say I have an OpenType font with several number styles (regular,
> > > proportional, etc.). Is it possible to use them? I've always wanted to
> > > ask this and be sure. Now seems the good time. :-)
> >
> > You can define your own features sets with \definefontfeature and use this
> > set later with "features=my feature set", "default" is only one of ConTeXt's
> > predefined feature sets but you define your own with every option you need.
> >

> Thank you VERY much Mojca and Wolfgang! With XeTeX now I can use the
> oldstyle numerals with my system-installed OpenType fonts. :-) I'm
> very, very happy with that. I really thought I had to wait for LuaTeX
> for that.
>
> Now, to push the features topic further on, before experimenting a bit
> I'd like to ask... does XeTeX support *all* OTF features? Well, I
> don't want to use all of them, but some more included with my font,
> and while I'm pretty sure it supports 'pnum', as it supports 'onum',
> I would also use the built-in superscript ('sups') and subscript
> ('subs') numerals.

I think this is true for XeTeX, but LuaTeX needs a little bit more time to
allow us to use all OpenType features in font (because this is controlled
by lua scripts).

Wolfgang