* more xml in mkiv
@ 2008-03-24 21:28 Thomas A. Schmitz
From: Thomas A. Schmitz @ 2008-03-24 21:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mailing ConTeXt users list for

Hi all,

I played some more with the new mkiv xml mechanism and am beginning to
see the light: some things that turned out to be very difficult (at
least for me) with the "old" mechanism are easy now. However, I still
have a couple of questions:

1. I have this minimal file test.xml:

<document>
   <itemize>
     <item>
       one
     </item>
     <item>
       two
     </item>
     <item>
       three
     </item>
   </itemize>
</document>

and this minimal environment test-style.tex:
\startxmlsetups xml:mysetups
	\xmlsetsetup{\xmldocument}{document|itemize|item}{xml:*}
\stopxmlsetups

\xmlregistersetup{xml:mysetups}

\startxmlsetups xml:document
	\xmlflush{#1}
\stopxmlsetups

\startxmlsetups xml:itemize
	\startitemize
	\xmlflush{#1}
	\stopitemize
\stopxmlsetups

\startxmlsetups xml:item
	\item \xmlflush{#1}
\stopxmlsetups

\starttext
\xmlprocess{main}{\inputfilename}{}
\stoptext

When I run texexec --lua --env=test-style test.xml, I get output only
for item "three," not for one and two. What am I doing wrong?

2. In every run, I get this warning:

TeXUtil | check loading of file 'test-style', begin/end problem

I don't see anything wrong with my files, though. Is this harmless?

3. I have a structure like this to get numbered labels:

     <lemmasection>
       <label>1234</label>
       <content>
	blahblah
       </content>
     </lemmasection>

When I process this, I get unwanted spaces in my pdf; they disappear
when I delete the newline and space between <content> and blahblah. Is
there a magic command to make them disappear?

Thanks, and all best

Thomas

* Re: more xml in mkiv
@ 2008-03-24 22:34 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2008-03-24 22:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thomas A. Schmitz wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I played some more with the new mkiv xml mechanism and am beginning to
> see the light: some things that turned out to be very difficult (at
> least for me) with the "old" mechanism are easy now. However, I still
> have a couple of questions:

works here, just to be sure i uploaded a new current

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: more xml in mkiv
@ 2008-03-25 12:17   ` Thomas A. Schmitz
From: Thomas A. Schmitz @ 2008-03-25 12:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mar 24, 2008, at 11:34 PM, Hans Hagen wrote:
> works here, just to be sure i uploaded a new current
>
> Hans

Thanks Hans! You're right; I worked on a minimal example for a long
time and got confused. I tried again; this example demonstrates the
behavior (I tested on two different computers to be really sure :-):

test.xml:

<document>
   <section>
     <label>A</label>
     <content>text
     <itemize>
       <item>
	one
       </item>
       <item>
	two
       </item>
       <item>
	three
       </item>
     </itemize>
     more text
     </content>
   </section>
</document>

test-style.tex:

\startxmlsetups xml:mysetups
	\xmlsetsetup{\xmldocument}{document|section|itemize|item}{xml:*}
\stopxmlsetups

\xmlregistersetup{xml:mysetups}

\startxmlsetups xml:document
	\xmlflush{#1}
\stopxmlsetups

\startxmlsetups xml:section
	\section{\xmlfirst{#1}{label}} \xmlfirst{#1}{content}
\stopxmlsetups

\startxmlsetups xml:itemize
	\startitemize
	\xmlflush{#1}
	\stopitemize
\stopxmlsetups

\startxmlsetups xml:item
	\item \xmlflush{#1} \par
\stopxmlsetups

\starttext
\xmlprocess{main}{\inputfilename}{}
\stoptext

Thanks!

Thomas

* Re: more xml in mkiv
@ 2008-03-25 12:42     ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2008-03-25 12:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Mar 25, 2008 at 1:17 PM, Thomas A. Schmitz
<thomas.schmitz@uni-bonn.de> wrote:

> On Mar 24, 2008, at 11:34 PM, Hans Hagen wrote:
> > works here, just to be sure i uploaded a new current
> >
> > Hans
> >

> Thanks Hans! You're right; I worked on a minimal example for a long
> time and got confused. I tried again; this example demonstrates the
> behavior (I tested on two different computers to be really sure :-):
>
> test.xml:
>
> <document>
>   <section>
>     <label>A</label>
>     <content>text
>     <itemize>
>       <item>
>        one
>       </item>
>       <item>
>        two
>       </item>
>       <item>
>        three
>       </item>
>     </itemize>
>     more text
>     </content>
>   </section>
> </document>
>
> test-style.tex:
>
> \startxmlsetups xml:mysetups
>        \xmlsetsetup{\xmldocument}{document|section|itemize|item}{xml:*}
> \stopxmlsetups

\startxmlsetups xml:mysetups
       \xmlsetsetup{\xmldocument}{document|section|content|itemize|item}{xml:*}
\stopxmlsetups

> \xmlregistersetup{xml:mysetups}
>
> \startxmlsetups xml:document
>        \xmlflush{#1}
> \stopxmlsetups
>
> \startxmlsetups xml:section
>        \section{\xmlfirst{#1}{label}} \xmlfirst{#1}{content}
> \stopxmlsetups

\startxmlsetups xml:section
       \section{\xmlfirst{#1}{label}}
       \xmlflush{#1}
\stopxmlsetups

\startxmlsetups xml:content
       \xmlflush{#1}
\stopxmlsetups

> \startxmlsetups xml:itemize
>        \startitemize
>        \xmlflush{#1}
>        \stopitemize
> \stopxmlsetups
>
> \startxmlsetups xml:item
>        \item \xmlflush{#1} \par
> \stopxmlsetups

also possible

\startxmlsetups xml:item
       \startitem
       \xmlflush{#1}
       \stopitem
\stopxmlsetups

> \starttext
> \xmlprocess{main}{\inputfilename}{}
> \stoptext

Not sure if this works, I can't test it at the moment.

Wolfgang

* Re: more xml in mkiv
@ 2008-03-25 13:39       ` Thomas A. Schmitz
From: Thomas A. Schmitz @ 2008-03-25 13:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mar 25, 2008, at 1:42 PM, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 25, 2008 at 1:17 PM, Thomas A. Schmitz
> <thomas.schmitz@uni-bonn.de> wrote:
>>
>> On Mar 24, 2008, at 11:34 PM, Hans Hagen wrote:
>>> works here, just to be sure i uploaded a new current
>>>
>>> Hans
>>>

>> Thanks Hans! You're right; I worked on a minimal example for a long
>> time and got confused. I tried again; this example demonstrates the
>> behavior (I tested on two different computers to be really sure :-):
>>
>> test.xml:
>>
>> <document>
>>  <section>
>>    <label>A</label>
>>    <content>text
>>    <itemize>
>>      <item>
>>       one
>>      </item>
>>      <item>
>>       two
>>      </item>
>>      <item>
>>       three
>>      </item>
>>    </itemize>
>>    more text
>>    </content>
>>  </section>
>> </document>
>>
>> test-style.tex:
>>
>> \startxmlsetups xml:mysetups
>>       \xmlsetsetup{\xmldocument}{document|section|itemize|item}
>> {xml:*}
>> \stopxmlsetups
>
> \startxmlsetups xml:mysetups
>       \xmlsetsetup{\xmldocument}{document|section|content|itemize|
> item}{xml:*}
> \stopxmlsetups
>
>> \xmlregistersetup{xml:mysetups}
>>
>> \startxmlsetups xml:document
>>       \xmlflush{#1}
>> \stopxmlsetups
>>
>> \startxmlsetups xml:section
>>       \section{\xmlfirst{#1}{label}} \xmlfirst{#1}{content}
>> \stopxmlsetups
>
> \startxmlsetups xml:section
>       \section{\xmlfirst{#1}{label}}
>       \xmlflush{#1}
> \stopxmlsetups
>
> \startxmlsetups xml:content
>       \xmlflush{#1}
> \stopxmlsetups
>
>> \startxmlsetups xml:itemize
>>       \startitemize
>>       \xmlflush{#1}
>>       \stopitemize
>> \stopxmlsetups
>>
>> \startxmlsetups xml:item
>>       \item \xmlflush{#1} \par
>> \stopxmlsetups
>
> also possible
>
> \startxmlsetups xml:item
>       \startitem
>       \xmlflush{#1}
>       \stopitem
> \stopxmlsetups
>
>> \starttext
>> \xmlprocess{main}{\inputfilename}{}
>> \stoptext
>
> Not sure if this works, I can't test it at the moment.
>
> Wolfgang

Thanks, Wolfgang, but I still get the same output: items one and two
are empty. Maybe a bug?

Thomas

* Re: more xml in mkiv
@ 2008-03-25 14:38         ` Peter Rolf
From: Peter Rolf @ 2008-03-25 14:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thomas A. Schmitz schrieb:
> On Mar 25, 2008, at 1:42 PM, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:
>> On Tue, Mar 25, 2008 at 1:17 PM, Thomas A. Schmitz
>> <thomas.schmitz@uni-bonn.de> wrote:

>>> Thanks Hans! You're right; I worked on a minimal example for a long
>>> time and got confused. I tried again; this example demonstrates the
>>> behavior (I tested on two different computers to be really sure :-):
>>>
>>> test.xml:
>>>
>>> <document>
>>>  <section>
>>>    <label>A</label>
>>>    <content>text
>>>    <itemize>
>>>      <item>
>>>       one
>>>      </item>
>>>      <item>
>>>       two
>>>      </item>
>>>      <item>
>>>       three
>>>      </item>
>>>    </itemize>
>>>    more text
>>>    </content>
>>>  </section>
>>> </document>
>>>
>>> test-style.tex:
>>>
>>> \startxmlsetups xml:mysetups
>>>       \xmlsetsetup{\xmldocument}{document|section|itemize|item}
>>> {xml:*}
>>> \stopxmlsetups
>> \startxmlsetups xml:mysetups
>>       \xmlsetsetup{\xmldocument}{document|section|content|itemize|
>> item}{xml:*}
>> \stopxmlsetups
>>
>>> \xmlregistersetup{xml:mysetups}
>>>
>>> \startxmlsetups xml:document
>>>       \xmlflush{#1}
>>> \stopxmlsetups
>>>
>>> \startxmlsetups xml:section
>>>       \section{\xmlfirst{#1}{label}} \xmlfirst{#1}{content}
>>> \stopxmlsetups
>> \startxmlsetups xml:section
>>       \section{\xmlfirst{#1}{label}}
>>       \xmlflush{#1}
>> \stopxmlsetups
>>
>> \startxmlsetups xml:content
>>       \xmlflush{#1}
>> \stopxmlsetups
>>
>>> \startxmlsetups xml:itemize
>>>       \startitemize
>>>       \xmlflush{#1}
>>>       \stopitemize
>>> \stopxmlsetups
>>>
>>> \startxmlsetups xml:item
>>>       \item \xmlflush{#1} \par
>>> \stopxmlsetups
>> also possible
>>
>> \startxmlsetups xml:item
>>       \startitem
>>       \xmlflush{#1}
>>       \stopitem
>> \stopxmlsetups
>>
>>> \starttext
>>> \xmlprocess{main}{\inputfilename}{}
>>> \stoptext
>> Not sure if this works, I can't test it at the moment.
>>
>> Wolfgang
>
> Thanks, Wolfgang, but I still get the same output: items one and two
> are empty. Maybe a bug?

your original example works here too. today's context and latest luatex.

hth, peter

> Thomas

* Re: more xml in mkiv
@ 2008-03-25 15:14           ` Thomas A. Schmitz
From: Thomas A. Schmitz @ 2008-03-25 15:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mar 25, 2008, at 3:38 PM, Peter Rolf wrote:
> your original example works here too. today's context and latest
> luatex.
>
> hth, peter

Wait wait wait ... you mean you get correct output with the example I
posted in this thread? In that case, I'm completely baffled, because I
get something like this

.
.
. three

Hans, is there any way to capture the intermediate result into which
ConTeXt transforms the xml file before it processes it?

Thomas

* Re: more xml in mkiv
@ 2008-03-25 15:29 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2008-03-25 15:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, Mar 24, 2008 at 10:28 PM, Thomas A. Schmitz
<thomas.schmitz@uni-bonn.de> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I played some more with the new mkiv xml mechanism and am beginning to
> see the light: some things that turned out to be very difficult (at
> least for me) with the "old" mechanism are easy now. However, I still
> have a couple of questions:
>
> 1. I have this minimal file test.xml:
>
> <document>
>   <itemize>
>     <item>
>       one
>     </item>
>     <item>
>       two
>     </item>
>     <item>
>       three
>     </item>
>   </itemize>
> </document>
>
> and this minimal environment test-style.tex:
> \startxmlsetups xml:mysetups
>        \xmlsetsetup{\xmldocument}{document|itemize|item}{xml:*}
> \stopxmlsetups
>
> \xmlregistersetup{xml:mysetups}
>
> \startxmlsetups xml:document
>        \xmlflush{#1}
> \stopxmlsetups
>
> \startxmlsetups xml:itemize
>        \startitemize
>        \xmlflush{#1}
>        \stopitemize
> \stopxmlsetups
>
> \startxmlsetups xml:item
>        \item \xmlflush{#1}
> \stopxmlsetups
>
> \starttext
> \xmlprocess{main}{\inputfilename}{}
> \stoptext
>
> When I run texexec --lua --env=test-style test.xml, I get output only
> for item "three," not for one and two. What am I doing wrong?
>
> 2. In every run, I get this warning:
>
> TeXUtil | check loading of file 'test-style', begin/end problem
>
> I don't see anything wrong with my files, though. Is this harmless?
>

> 3. I have a structure like this to get numbered labels:
>
>     <lemmasection>
>       <label>1234</label>
>       <content>
>        blahblah
>       </content>
>     </lemmasection>

you could try something like

\startxmlsetups xml:lemma
  \startlemma{\xmlfirst{#1}{label}}
  \ignorespaces\xmlfirst{#1}{content}\removeunwatedspaces
  \stoplemma
\stopxmlsetups

Wolfgang

* Re: more xml in mkiv
@ 2008-03-25 15:36             ` Peter Rolf
From: Peter Rolf @ 2008-03-25 15:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thomas A. Schmitz schrieb:
> On Mar 25, 2008, at 3:38 PM, Peter Rolf wrote:
>> your original example works here too. today's context and latest
>> luatex.
>>
>> hth, peter
>
> Wait wait wait ... you mean you get correct output with the example I
> posted in this thread? In that case, I'm completely baffled, because I
> get something like this

see yourself and beleave ;)

> .
> .
> . three
>
> Hans, is there any way to capture the intermediate result into which
> ConTeXt transforms the xml file before it processes it?
>
> Thomas

[-- Attachment #2: teststyle.pdf --]
[-- Type: application/x-pdf, Size: 6227 bytes --]

* Re: more xml in mkiv
@ 2008-03-25 17:08               ` Thomas A. Schmitz
From: Thomas A. Schmitz @ 2008-03-25 17:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mar 25, 2008, at 4:36 PM, Peter Rolf wrote:
>> Wait wait wait ... you mean you get correct output with the example
>> I  posted in this thread? In that case, I'm completely baffled,
>> because I  get something like this
>>
> see yourself and beleave ;)

Hey, I'm quite willing to believe - but now I have a really
inexplicable phenomenon: see what I get as output! Using the same
version of luatex (0.25.1) and of ConTeXt as you do! I tested both
under OS X and under SuSE 10.3., and I consistently get this. I even
tried moving my personal texmf out of the way - still same result.
Could somebody else please test. And Peter, could you maybe mail me
the log of your TeX run so I can compare and see if I can discover
anything? Thanks a lot!

Thomas

[-- Attachment #2: test.pdf --]

* Re: more xml in mkiv
@ 2008-03-25 17:32                 ` Peter Rolf
From: Peter Rolf @ 2008-03-25 17:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thomas A. Schmitz schrieb:

> On Mar 25, 2008, at 4:36 PM, Peter Rolf wrote:
>>> Wait wait wait ... you mean you get correct output with the example
>>> I  posted in this thread? In that case, I'm completely baffled,
>>> because I  get something like this
>>>
>> see yourself and beleave ;)

i belIEve my english needs some improvements :D

> Hey, I'm quite willing to believe - but now I have a really inexplicable
> phenomenon: see what I get as output! Using the same version of luatex
> (0.25.1) and of ConTeXt as you do! I tested both under OS X and under
> SuSE 10.3., and I consistently get this. I even tried moving my personal
> texmf out of the way - still same result. Could somebody else please
> test. And Peter, could you maybe mail me the log of your TeX run so I
> can compare and see if I can discover anything? Thanks a lot!

sure. i'll send you the test files in a pm.

best wishes, peter

> Thomas

* Re: more xml in mkiv
@ 2008-03-25 17:51             ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2008-03-25 17:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thomas A. Schmitz wrote:
> On Mar 25, 2008, at 3:38 PM, Peter Rolf wrote:
>> your original example works here too. today's context and latest
>> luatex.
>>
>> hth, peter
>
> Wait wait wait ... you mean you get correct output with the example I
> posted in this thread? In that case, I'm completely baffled, because I
> get something like this
>
> ..
> ..
> .. three
>
> Hans, is there any way to capture the intermediate result into which
> ConTeXt transforms the xml file before it processes it?

hm, you can patch in lxml-ini.lua

     local function sprint(root)
         if not root then
             -- quit
         elseif type(root) == 'string' then
print(root)
             capture:match(root)
         elseif next(root) then
             xml.serialize(root,sprint,nil,nil,xml.specialhandler)
         end
     end

and remake the format

keep in mind that in mkiv we basically have a kind of big evergoing
nested expansion i.e. piping to tex whicn can call lua which again can
piping into tex etc etc

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: more xml in mkiv
@ 2008-07-14 14:45   ` Thomas A. Schmitz
From: Thomas A. Schmitz @ 2008-07-14 14:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all,

I'm resurrecting an ooooold thread and top-posting... For details, see
the post below. The problem was that the content of itemizations
sometimes disappeared in xml processed by mkiv. I emphasize
"sometimes": now you see it, now you don't... I can't really post a
minimal example that will be certain to display the effect, but I
have, since May, discovered one thing:

this code:

<item>
</item>

will sometimes make the A disappear. This code:

<item>A</item>

will always work correctly. So Hans, a shot in the dark: can it be
that your lpeg xml parser can, under certain circumstances, have
trouble with linebreaks within the xml-subtree it is trying to pick
up? That would explain the mystery which had me baffled back in May.

All best

Thomas

* Re: more xml in mkiv
@ 2008-07-14 15:21     ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2008-07-14 15:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 14.07.2008 um 16:45 schrieb Thomas A. Schmitz:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm resurrecting an ooooold thread and top-posting... For details, see
> the post below. The problem was that the content of itemizations
> sometimes disappeared in xml processed by mkiv. I emphasize
> "sometimes": now you see it, now you don't... I can't really post a
> minimal example that will be certain to display the effect, but I
> have, since May, discovered one thing:
>
> this code:
>
> <item>
> </item>
>
> will sometimes make the A disappear. This code:
>
> <item>A</item>
>
> will always work correctly. So Hans, a shot in the dark: can it be
> that your lpeg xml parser can, under certain circumstances, have
> trouble with linebreaks within the xml-subtree it is trying to pick
> up? That would explain the mystery which had me baffled back in May.
>
> All best
>
> Thomas

Can you test the following definition for item a while:

\startxmlsetups xml:item
   \startitem
   \xmlflush{#1}
   \stopitem
\stopxmlsetups

Regards,
Wolfgang

* Re: more xml in mkiv
@ 2008-07-14 16:22       ` Thomas A. Schmitz
From: Thomas A. Schmitz @ 2008-07-14 16:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Jul 14, 2008, at 5:21 PM, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:

> Can you test the following definition for item a while:
>
> \startxmlsetups xml:item
>   \startitem
>   \xmlflush{#1}
>   \stopitem
> \stopxmlsetups
>
> Regards,
> Wolfgang

I have something very similar in my environment:

\startxmlsetups xml:item
	\item \xmlflush{#1} \par
\stopxmlsetups

But I'll test yours as well. As you write, it'll take a while because
the problem is intermittent.

Thanks

Thomas