* small caps and old numbers with open type fonts
@ 2008-04-13 18:39 Antoine Junod
From: Antoine Junod @ 2008-04-13 18:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello list,

I'm still playing with a few otf fonts and enjoying the way ConTeXt
works :)

I'm now playing with a beautiful Garamond. I try to typeset a few
things with old-style numbers and, well, the output contains old-style
numbers but not in my Garamond (it seems to be in latin modern). What
should I do to use the old-style numbers of my font? Did a miss a doc
about that? Or did I missunderstood the \os command (I thought it was
a switch to the old-style of the font but it seems rather to change of
font)?

I actually use my font as simple as possible with a
\definefont[boum][MyFont at 12pt]. Is it the problem?

It the same with the \sc command.

Thanks a lot for your reply,
-AJ

* Re: small caps and old numbers with open type fonts
@ 2008-04-13 19:04 ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2008-04-13 19:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 2008-04-13 um 20:39 schrieb Antoine Junod:
> I actually use my font as simple as possible with a
> \definefont[boum][MyFont at 12pt]. Is it the problem?

Yes. You should set up your fonts with a typescript and access small
caps / oldstyle as "features".

Sorry, can't help you further at the moment, but there were a lot of
mails/threads on similar subjects in the last few weeks.

Greetlings from Lake Constance!
Hraban
---
http://www.fiee.net/texnique/
http://wiki.contextgarden.net
https://www.cacert.org (I'm an assurer)

* Re: small caps and old numbers with open type fonts
@ 2008-04-14  8:23 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2008-04-14  8:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, Apr 13, 2008 at 8:39 PM, Antoine Junod <toto@tots-ns.net> wrote:
> Hello list,
>
> I'm still playing with a few otf fonts and enjoying the way ConTeXt
> works :)
>
> I'm now playing with a beautiful Garamond. I try to typeset a few
> things with old-style numbers and, well, the output contains old-style
> numbers but not in my Garamond (it seems to be in latin modern). What
> should I do to use the old-style numbers of my font? Did a miss a doc
> about that? Or did I missunderstood the \os command (I thought it was
> a switch to the old-style of the font but it seems rather to change of
> font)?
>
> I actually use my font as simple as possible with a
> \definefont[boum][MyFont at 12pt]. Is it the problem?
>
> It the same with the \sc command.

\definefont[boum][MyFont at 12pt]
\definefont[scboum][MyFont*smallcaps at 12pt]

\starttext

\boum ABCabc123

\scboum ABCabc123

\stoptext

Wolfgang

* Re: small caps and old numbers with open type fonts
@ 2008-04-16  9:57   ` Antoine Junod
From: Antoine Junod @ 2008-04-16  9:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks a lot for your reply :)

Henning Hraban Ramm <hraban@fiee.net> writes:

> Am 2008-04-13 um 20:39 schrieb Antoine Junod:
>> I actually use my font as simple as possible with a
>> \definefont[boum][MyFont at 12pt]. Is it the problem?
>
> Yes. You should set up your fonts with a typescript and access small
> caps / oldstyle as "features".

Okay. I've digged a bit about typescripts. If I've understood what I
read, I need to use the \definefontsysnonym command. But I'm currently
not able to find any doc about \definefontsynonym (a grammar or a
definition or something identical). Texshow does not contain it, nor
does the context commands manual. I've seen a bit about it in the
Fonts in Context manual (mfonts.pdf) but nothing about the 'feature'
as in type-otf.tex [1]. I'll try to copy / paste in an clever way (hum
:) but would be relly interesting if someone could point me to a
complete doc.

Thanks for you reply and greetings from Lake Léman, not Constance :)
-AJ

[1] http://source.contextgarden.net/type-otf.tex

* Re: small caps and old numbers with open type fonts
@ 2008-04-16  9:59   ` Antoine Junod
From: Antoine Junod @ 2008-04-16  9:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Wolfgang!

"Wolfgang Schuster" <schuster.wolfgang@googlemail.com> writes:

> On Sun, Apr 13, 2008 at 8:39 PM, Antoine Junod <toto@tots-ns.net> wrote:
>> Hello list,
>>
>> I actually use my font as simple as possible with a
>> \definefont[boum][MyFont at 12pt]. Is it the problem?
>>
>> It the same with the \sc command.
>
> \definefont[boum][MyFont at 12pt]
> \definefont[scboum][MyFont*smallcaps at 12pt]

Wow, beautifull, thanks :) Where is the * and what we can put after
(smallcaps for example) described? I have the strong feeling to search
in the wrong place without any result.

Best regards,

@ 2008-04-16 10:17     ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2008-04-16 10:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Apr 16, 2008 at 11:59 AM, Antoine Junod <toto@tots-ns.net> wrote:
> Hi Wolfgang!
>
> "Wolfgang Schuster" <schuster.wolfgang@googlemail.com> writes:
>
> > On Sun, Apr 13, 2008 at 8:39 PM, Antoine Junod <toto@tots-ns.net> wrote:
> >> Hello list,
> >>
> >> I actually use my font as simple as possible with a
> >> \definefont[boum][MyFont at 12pt]. Is it the problem?
> >>
> >> It the same with the \sc command.
> >
> > \definefont[boum][MyFont at 12pt]
> > \definefont[scboum][MyFont*smallcaps at 12pt]
>
> Wow, beautifull, thanks :) Where is the * and what we can put after
> (smallcaps for example) described? I have the strong feeling to search
> in the wrong place without any result.

The * is used to assign a feature to the font and you could find
a description in font-ini.tex /grep for \definefontfeature) but the better
way is to use typescripts for your fonts.

ConTeXt has the following features predefined:
- default
- smallcaps
- oldstyle

It is also possible to change the features of a font within the text
with the command \setfontfeature{...}.

Wolfgang

* Re: small caps and old numbers with open type fonts
@ 2008-04-16 10:34       ` Antoine Junod
From: Antoine Junod @ 2008-04-16 10:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Wolfgang Schuster" <schuster.wolfgang@googlemail.com> writes:

> On Wed, Apr 16, 2008 at 11:59 AM, Antoine Junod <toto@tots-ns.net> wrote:
>> Hi Wolfgang!

>> > \definefont[boum][MyFont at 12pt]
>> > \definefont[scboum][MyFont*smallcaps at 12pt]
>>
>> Wow, beautifull, thanks :) Where is the * and what we can put after
>> (smallcaps for example) described? I have the strong feeling to
>> search in the wrong place without any result.
>
> The * is used to assign a feature to the font and you could find a
> description in font-ini.tex /grep for \definefontfeature) but the
> better way is to use typescripts for your fonts.

Okay. That's what I'm trying to do right now.

> ConTeXt has the following features predefined:
> - default
> - smallcaps
> - oldstyle

Yep, I saw them in font-ini.tex, as you pointed me to.

> It is also possible to change the features of a font within the text
> with the command \setfontfeature{...}.

But, if I've understood the point, there is no reason to do that if I
use a proper typescript. Right?

@ 2008-04-16 10:56         ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2008-04-16 10:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Apr 16, 2008 at 12:34 PM, Antoine Junod <toto@tots-ns.net> wrote:
> "Wolfgang Schuster" <schuster.wolfgang@googlemail.com> writes:
>
> > On Wed, Apr 16, 2008 at 11:59 AM, Antoine Junod <toto@tots-ns.net> wrote:
> >> Hi Wolfgang!

> >> Wow, beautifull, thanks :) Where is the * and what we can put after
> >> (smallcaps for example) described? I have the strong feeling to
> >> search in the wrong place without any result.
> >
> > The * is used to assign a feature to the font and you could find a
> > description in font-ini.tex /grep for \definefontfeature) but the
> > better way is to use typescripts for your fonts.
>
> Okay. That's what I'm trying to do right now.
>
> > ConTeXt has the following features predefined:
> > - default
> > - smallcaps
> > - oldstyle
>
> Yep, I saw them in font-ini.tex, as you pointed me to.

You could also define your own font features with \definefontfeature

> > It is also possible to change the features of a font within the text
> > with the command \setfontfeature{...}.
>
> But, if I've understood the point, there is no reason to do that if I
> use a proper typescript. Right?

It depends what do you want, normally no but you could use it to
change the figures in a table to tabular figures.

Wolfgang