* columns and \definemakeup
@ 2008-04-29 10:54 Suno Ano
From: Suno Ano @ 2008-04-29 10:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hi Folks!

I am in the curse of setting up the environment plus a project structure
for a book. My problem is with a few pages like for example colofon
where I used

,----[ content from comp_colophon.tex ]
| \startcomponent comp_colophon
| \product prod_back_matter
| \project proj_a_book
|
| \startstandardmakeup[doublesided=no, page=right]
|
| \startalignment[flushleft]
|   \ssd Colophon\par
|   \blank[1mm]
|   \ssa \title\par
| \stopalignment
|
| \hairline
|
| \stopstandardmakeup
|
| % -------
|
| \startstandardmakeup[doublesided=no, page=left]
| \stopstandardmakeup
|

| \stopcomponent
`----

Now I want the text to be in columns -- two that is ... However, I tried
with

,----
| \startcolumns[n=2]
|  <my text goes here>
| \stopcolumns
`----

and

,----
| \definecolumnset[example][n=2]
|
| \starttext
| \startcolumnset[example]
| \dorecurse{15}{\fakewords{100}{200}\par}
| \stopcolumnset
| \stoptext
`----

but I just get one column in both cases. Can anyone tell me how I would
for example use \definemakeup in order to get exactly what
\startstandardmakeup and \stopstandardmakeup provides me with PLUS the
text gets typeset into two columns? Maybe if it is not possible with
\definemakeup what else could I do? Tia!

* Re: columns and \definemakeup
@ 2008-04-29 11:32 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2008-04-29 11:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Apr 29, 2008 at 12:54 PM, Suno Ano <suno.ano@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hi Folks!
>
> I am in the curse of setting up the environment plus a project structure
> for a book. My problem is with a few pages like for example colofon
> where I used
>
> ,----[ content from comp_colophon.tex ]
> | \startcomponent comp_colophon
> | \product prod_back_matter
> | \project proj_a_book
> |
> | \startstandardmakeup[doublesided=no, page=right]
> |
> | \startalignment[flushleft]
> |   \ssd Colophon\par
> |   \blank[1mm]
> |   \ssa \title\par
> | \stopalignment
> |
> | \hairline
> |
> | \stopstandardmakeup
> |
> | % -------
> |
> | \startstandardmakeup[doublesided=no, page=left]
> | \stopstandardmakeup
> |

> | \stopcomponent
> `----
>
> Now I want the text to be in columns -- two that is ... However, I tried
> with
>
> ,----
> | \startcolumns[n=2]
> |  <my text goes here>
> | \stopcolumns
> `----
>
> and
>
> ,----
> | \definecolumnset[example][n=2]
> |
> | \starttext
> | \startcolumnset[example]
> | \dorecurse{15}{\fakewords{100}{200}\par}
> | \stopcolumnset
> | \stoptext
> `----
>
> but I just get one column in both cases. Can anyone tell me how I would
> for example use \definemakeup in order to get exactly what
> \startstandardmakeup and \stopstandardmakeup provides me with PLUS the
> text gets typeset into two columns? Maybe if it is not possible with
> \definemakeup what else could I do? Tia!

Try this:

\starttext
\startstandardmakeup
\startsimplecolumns
\dorecurse{3}{\input knuth\par}
\stopsimplecolumns
\stopstandardmakeup
\stoptext

Wolfgang

* Re: columns and \definemakeup
@ 2008-04-29 11:40   ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2008-04-29 11:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Apr 29, 2008 at 1:32 PM, Wolfgang Schuster
<schuster.wolfgang@googlemail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 29, 2008 at 12:54 PM, Suno Ano <suno.ano@googlemail.com> wrote:
> > Hi Folks!
> >
> > I am in the curse of setting up the environment plus a project structure
> > for a book. My problem is with a few pages like for example colofon
> > where I used
> >
> > ,----[ content from comp_colophon.tex ]
> > | \startcomponent comp_colophon
> > | \product prod_back_matter
> > | \project proj_a_book
> > |
> > | \startstandardmakeup[doublesided=no, page=right]
> > |
> > | \startalignment[flushleft]
> > |   \ssd Colophon\par
> > |   \blank[1mm]
> > |   \ssa \title\par
> > | \stopalignment
> > |
> > | \hairline
> > |
> > | \stopstandardmakeup
> > |
> > | % -------
> > |
> > | \startstandardmakeup[doublesided=no, page=left]
> > | \stopstandardmakeup
> > |

> > | \stopcomponent
> > `----
> >
> > Now I want the text to be in columns -- two that is ... However, I tried
> > with
> >
> > ,----
> > | \startcolumns[n=2]
> > |  <my text goes here>
> > | \stopcolumns
> > `----
> >
> > and
> >
> > ,----
> > | \definecolumnset[example][n=2]
> > |
> > | \starttext
> > | \startcolumnset[example]
> > | \dorecurse{15}{\fakewords{100}{200}\par}
> > | \stopcolumnset
> > | \stoptext
> > `----
> >
> > but I just get one column in both cases. Can anyone tell me how I would
> > for example use \definemakeup in order to get exactly what
> > \startstandardmakeup and \stopstandardmakeup provides me with PLUS the
> > text gets typeset into two columns? Maybe if it is not possible with
> > \definemakeup what else could I do? Tia!
>
> Try this:
>
> \starttext
> \startstandardmakeup
> \startsimplecolumns
> \dorecurse{3}{\input knuth\par}
> \stopsimplecolumns
> \stopstandardmakeup
> \stoptext

Alternative solution:

\definelayout
  [titlepage]
  [header=0pt,
   footer=0pt,
   backspace=4cm,
   width=12cm]

\definestartstop
  [titlepage]
  [before={\setuplayout[titlepage]},
   after={\page[right]\setuplayout[reset]}]

\starttext

\starttitlepage

\startcolumns
\dorecurse{3}{\input knuth\par}
\stopcolumns

\stoptitlepage

\input knuth

\stoptext

Wolfgang

* Re: columns and \definemakeup
@ 2008-04-29 17:22     ` Suno Ano
From: Suno Ano @ 2008-04-29 17:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

 >| On Tue, 29 Apr 2008 13:40:59 +0200,
 >| Wolfgang Schuster
 >| who can be reached at: schuster.wolfgang@googlemail.com
 >| (whose comments are cited below with " Wolfgang> "),
 >| had this to say in article <115224fb0804290440r4de3ace9s4c5b5f2fee372e59@mail.gmail.com>
 >| in newsgroups gmane.comp.tex.context
 >| concerning the subject of Re: columns and \definemakeup
 >| (see <87lk2xnd6w.fsf@googlemail.com> <115224fb0804290432u47e4665alf7a5b21d9116c7a2@mail.gmail.com> for more details)

 Wolfgang> Alternative solution:

 Wolfgang> \Definelayout
 Wolfgang>   [titlepage]
 Wolfgang>   [header=0pt,
 Wolfgang>    footer=0pt,
 Wolfgang>    backspace=4cm,
 Wolfgang>    width=12cm]

[skipping a lot of lines ...]

Thank you Wolfgang, it works! However, I tried but did not figure out
how to also change the fontsize from within the \definelayout block. Is
it possible?

I want to change the fontsize to 11pt. I know I could use
\switchtobodyfont but I would rather save myself some typing in the
future and put it in the \definelayout block -- or something else that
does not require me typing it over and over again if \definelayout is
the wrong way to go here altogether (/me is still a novice to ConTeXt).

Same as for the fontsize -- can I "demand" two columns from within the
\definelayout block instead of always putting \startcolumns[n=2]
respectively \stopcolumns in the actual source?

* Re: columns and \definemakeup
@ 2008-04-30  6:07       ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2008-04-30  6:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Apr 29, 2008 at 7:22 PM, Suno Ano <suno.ano@googlemail.com> wrote:
>  >| On Tue, 29 Apr 2008 13:40:59 +0200,
>  >| Wolfgang Schuster
>  >| who can be reached at: schuster.wolfgang@googlemail.com
>  >| (whose comments are cited below with " Wolfgang> "),
>  >| had this to say in article <115224fb0804290440r4de3ace9s4c5b5f2fee372e59@mail.gmail.com>
>  >| in newsgroups gmane.comp.tex.context
>  >| concerning the subject of Re: columns and \definemakeup
>  >| (see <87lk2xnd6w.fsf@googlemail.com> <115224fb0804290432u47e4665alf7a5b21d9116c7a2@mail.gmail.com> for more details)
>
>  Wolfgang> Alternative solution:
>
>  Wolfgang> \Definelayout
>  Wolfgang>   [titlepage]
>  Wolfgang>   [header=0pt,
>  Wolfgang>    footer=0pt,
>  Wolfgang>    backspace=4cm,
>  Wolfgang>    width=12cm]
>
> [skipping a lot of lines ...]
>

> Thank you Wolfgang, it works! However, I tried but did not figure out
> how to also change the fontsize from within the \definelayout block. Is
> it possible?

No possible, \definelayout is resposible for margings, textheight and width ...
not for the fontsize

> I want to change the fontsize to 11pt. I know I could use
> \switchtobodyfont but I would rather save myself some typing in the
> future and put it in the \definelayout block -- or something else that
> does not require me typing it over and over again if \definelayout is
> the wrong way to go here altogether (/me is still a novice to ConTeXt).

Not within \definelayout but see below.

> Same as for the fontsize -- can I "demand" two columns from within the
> \definelayout block instead of always putting \startcolumns[n=2]
> respectively \stopcolumns in the actual source?

\definestartstop
 [titlepage]
 [before={\setuplayout[titlepage]\bgroup\switchtobodyfont[11pt]\startcolumns},
  after={\stopcolumns\egroup\page[right]\setuplayout[reset]}]

Wolfgang