* Font features not always working
@ 2008-04-29 12:45 Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2008-04-29 12:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

the features from OpenType fonts are not accesable for all fonts, I tried to use
my old test case for Microsofts Cambria fonts and none of the features did work,
also kerning is disabled.

I put the files with the result from last year and the latest stable online.
http://schuster.wolfgang.googlepages.com/files

I saw this effect also in a few other fonts where I was unable to
select features
in the font like oldstyle or smallcaps.

Wolfgang

* Re: Font features not always working
@ 2008-04-29 13:25 ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2008-04-29 13:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

Wolfgang Schuster wrote:
> Hi,
>
> the features from OpenType fonts are not accesable for all fonts, I tried to use
> my old test case for Microsofts Cambria fonts and none of the features did work,
> also kerning is disabled.
>
> I put the files with the result from last year and the latest stable online.
> http://schuster.wolfgang.googlepages.com/files

IIRC, \Var depends on a very particular way of writing typescripts,
and is currently considered deprecated by Hans, and that there is a
new way to do things like this using \setfontfeature or something
similar. Hans will know for sure (but he at bachotex right now)

Best wishes,
Taco

* Re: Font features not always working
@ 2008-04-29 13:32   ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2008-04-29 13:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Apr 29, 2008 at 3:25 PM, Taco Hoekwater <taco@elvenkind.com> wrote:

> Wolfgang Schuster wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > the features from OpenType fonts are not accesable for all fonts, I tried to use
> > my old test case for Microsofts Cambria fonts and none of the features did work,
> > also kerning is disabled.
> >
> > I put the files with the result from last year and the latest stable online.
> > http://schuster.wolfgang.googlepages.com/files
>
> IIRC, \Var depends on a very particular way of writing typescripts,
> and is currently considered deprecated by Hans, and that there is a
> new way to do things like this using \setfontfeature or something
> similar. Hans will know for sure (but he at bachotex right now)

This did also happen with [feature=...] in typescripts or with \setfontfeature
in a document. A few fonts like Pagella or Linux Libertine work as expected
but Cambria is a example where none of both methods work.

\Var is really obsolete because \setfontfeature is more powerfull, I wrote
my file before \setfontfeature was available and it should nevetheless still
work but I don't need it.

@ 2008-04-30  6:40   ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2008-04-30  6:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Apr 29, 2008 at 3:25 PM, Taco Hoekwater <taco@elvenkind.com> wrote:

> Wolfgang Schuster wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > the features from OpenType fonts are not accesable for all fonts, I tried to use
> > my old test case for Microsofts Cambria fonts and none of the features did work,
> > also kerning is disabled.
> >
> > I put the files with the result from last year and the latest stable online.
> > http://schuster.wolfgang.googlepages.com/files
>
> IIRC, \Var depends on a very particular way of writing typescripts,
> and is currently considered deprecated by Hans, and that there is a
> new way to do things like this using \setfontfeature or something
> similar. Hans will know for sure (but he at bachotex right now)

I wrote a simpler example and compiled it with my old and my current ConTeXt.

http://schuster.wolfgang.googlepages.com/files -> Fontfeature

Greetings

@ 2008-04-30  8:00     ` Lutz Haseloff
From: Lutz Haseloff @ 2008-04-30  8:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Wolfgang,

it seems that some fonts need script=latn in \definefontfeature.
(i copied and pasted from font-ini.tex)

So your file works here:

--------------------------
% engine=luatex

\definefontfeature
  [default]
  [script=latn,liga=yes,kern=yes,tlig=yes,trep=yes]

\definefontfeature
  [smallcaps]
  [script=latn,liga=yes,kern=yes,tlig=yes,trep=yes,smcp=yes]

\definefontfeature
  [oldstyle]
  [script=latn,liga=yes,kern=yes,tlig=yes,trep=yes,onum=yes]

\definefont[pan][file:texgyrepagella-regular*default]
\definefont[pas][file:texgyrepagella-regular*smallcaps]
\definefont[pao][file:texgyrepagella-regular*oldstyle]

\definefont[can][file:CAMBRIA*default]
\definefont[cas][file:CAMBRIA*smallcaps]
\definefont[cao][file:CAMBRIA*oldstyle]

\definefont[con][file:CORBEL*default]
\definefont[cos][file:CORBEL*smallcaps]
\definefont[coo][file:CORBEL*oldstyle]

\starttext

\pan ANB anc 123 VA Ta

\pas ANB anc 123 VA Ta

\pao ANB anc 123 VA Ta

\can ANB anc 123 VA Ta

\cas ANB anc 123 VA Ta

\cao ANB anc 123 VA Ta

\con ANB anc 123 VA Ta

\cos ANB anc 123 VA Ta

\coo ANB anc 123 VA Ta
\blank

\starttabulate
\NC ConTeXt         \EQ \contextversion        \NC\NR
\NC LuaTeX Revision \EQ \number\luatexversion  \NC\NR
\NC LuaTeX Revision \EQ \number\luatexrevision \NC\NR
\stoptabulate

\stoptext
--------------------------

Greetings Lutz

@ 2008-04-30  8:08       ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2008-04-30  8:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Lutz,

On Wed, Apr 30, 2008 at 10:00 AM, Lutz Haseloff
<lutz.haseloff@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hi Wolfgang,
>
> it seems that some fonts need script=latn in \definefontfeature.
> (i copied and pasted from font-ini.tex)

[list with new definitons]

I will test it latter today on my own system, I wonder if latin was set
in a older version from ConTeXt because it worked and if it could be
included in the default definitions from font-ini.

@ 2008-05-06 12:17       ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2008-05-06 12:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Apr 30, 2008 at 10:00 AM, Lutz Haseloff
<lutz.haseloff@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hi Wolfgang,
>
> it seems that some fonts need script=latn in \definefontfeature.
> (i copied and pasted from font-ini.tex)
>
> So your file works here:
>
> --------------------------
> % engine=luatex
>
> \definefontfeature
>  [default]
>  [script=latn,liga=yes,kern=yes,tlig=yes,trep=yes]
>
> \definefontfeature
>  [smallcaps]
>  [script=latn,liga=yes,kern=yes,tlig=yes,trep=yes,smcp=yes]
>
> \definefontfeature
>  [oldstyle]
>  [script=latn,liga=yes,kern=yes,tlig=yes,trep=yes,onum=yes]

I looked into font-ini from my old installation and all fontfeatures
where defined with the latin script, would be interesting to know
why this has changed and if there is a reason for this.

> \definefont[pan][file:texgyrepagella-regular*default]
> \definefont[pas][file:texgyrepagella-regular*smallcaps]
> \definefont[pao][file:texgyrepagella-regular*oldstyle]
>
> \definefont[can][file:CAMBRIA*default]
> \definefont[cas][file:CAMBRIA*smallcaps]
> \definefont[cao][file:CAMBRIA*oldstyle]
>
> \definefont[con][file:CORBEL*default]
> \definefont[cos][file:CORBEL*smallcaps]
> \definefont[coo][file:CORBEL*oldstyle]
>
> \starttext
>
> \pan ANB anc 123 VA Ta
>
> \pas ANB anc 123 VA Ta
>
> \pao ANB anc 123 VA Ta
>
> \can ANB anc 123 VA Ta
>
> \cas ANB anc 123 VA Ta
>
> \cao ANB anc 123 VA Ta
>
> \con ANB anc 123 VA Ta
>
> \cos ANB anc 123 VA Ta
>
> \coo ANB anc 123 VA Ta
> \blank
>
> \starttabulate
> \NC ConTeXt         \EQ \contextversion        \NC\NR
> \NC LuaTeX Revision \EQ \number\luatexversion  \NC\NR
> \NC LuaTeX Revision \EQ \number\luatexrevision \NC\NR
> \stoptabulate
>
> \stoptext

The example works now as expected.

Thank you very much Lutz, for the solution.

Greetings
Wolfgang