* Trouble with Index
@ 2008-04-30 11:00 cidadaum
From: cidadaum @ 2008-04-30 11:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

So far I have not succeded to make an index in a book I am typesetting.
I write something like:
\starttext
\defineregister[index][indices]
\index[Tantrum]Tantrums can be normal for
\index[tantrum][tantrum+toddlers]toddlers. Young children have them for
many reasons like being tired, feeling out of control, over-stimulated,
or wanting something they can't have.
General hints: Toddlers and preschoolers cannot regulate themselves
because they don't yet know their own limits.
\completeindex
\stoptext

And the message I get is: "index not found/processed". In the pdf
appears a page with Index but no entries.

* Re: Trouble with Index
@ 2008-04-30 11:08 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2008-04-30 11:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Apr 30, 2008 at 1:00 PM,  <cidadaum@sapo.pt> wrote:

> So far I have not succeded to make an index in a book I am typesetting.
> I write something like:
> \starttext
> \defineregister[index][indices]

Prdefined, can be omitted.

> \index[Tantrum]Tantrums can be normal for

\index{Tantrum}

> \index[tantrum][tantrum+toddlers]toddlers. Young children have them for

\index{tantrum+toodlers}

> many reasons like being tired, feeling out of control, over-stimulated,
> or wanting something they can't have.
> General hints: Toddlers and preschoolers cannot regulate themselves
> because they don't yet know their own limits.
> \completeindex
> \stoptext

Wolfgang

* Re: Trouble with Index
@ 2008-04-30 12:35   ` Thomas A. Schmitz
From: Thomas A. Schmitz @ 2008-04-30 12:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Apr 30, 2008, at 1:08 PM, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:

>> \index[Tantrum]Tantrums can be normal for
>
> \index{Tantrum}

Indeed. Question to the developers: given that our rule of thumb is
"material within {} will be typeset; material within [] is for setups
etc.," wouldn't it make sense to have the command as index[]? (Maybe
with an alternative \index{} which will typeset the word AND put it in
the index?)

Thomas

* Re: Trouble with Index
@ 2008-05-01  2:22     ` cidadaum
From: cidadaum @ 2008-05-01  2:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Indeed. Question to the developers: given that our rule of thumb is
> "material within {} will be typeset; material within [] is for setups
> etc.," wouldn't it make sense to have the command as index[]? (Maybe
> with an alternative \index{} which will typeset the word AND put it in
> the index?)

Ok, but what am I doing wrong? Should I typeset \index[] or \index{}?
Or am I missing some trick? Or is this problem  waiting for solution.
I have put both ways in my file and the page with Index is still empty.

Armando Martins

Citando "Thomas A. Schmitz" <thomas.schmitz@uni-bonn.de>:

> On Apr 30, 2008, at 1:08 PM, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:
>>
>>> \index[Tantrum]Tantrums can be normal for
>>
>> \index{Tantrum}
>
> Indeed. Question to the developers: given that our rule of thumb is
> "material within {} will be typeset; material within [] is for setups
> etc.," wouldn't it make sense to have the command as index[]? (Maybe
> with an alternative \index{} which will typeset the word AND put it in
> the index?)
>
> Thomas

* Re: Trouble with Index
@ 2008-05-01  8:58       ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2008-05-01  8:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, May 1, 2008 at 4:22 AM,  <cidadaum@sapo.pt> wrote:
> > Indeed. Question to the developers: given that our rule of thumb is
>  > "material within {} will be typeset; material within [] is for setups
>  > etc.," wouldn't it make sense to have the command as index[]? (Maybe
>  > with an alternative \index{} which will typeset the word AND put it in
>  > the index?)
>
>  Ok, but what am I doing wrong? Should I typeset \index[] or \index{}?
>  Or am I missing some trick? Or is this problem  waiting for solution.
>  I have put both ways in my file and the page with Index is still empty.

\starttext

Tantrums\index{Tantrum} can be normal for
toddlers\index{tantrum+toddlers}. Young children have them for

@ 2008-05-13  6:45 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2008-05-13  6:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, May 10, 2008 at 7:36 PM,  <cidadaum@sapo.pt> wrote:

> In the fileOn Wed, Apr 30, 2008 at 1:00 PM,  <cidadaum at sapo.pt> wrote:
> >
> > So far I have not succeded to make an index in a book I am typesetting.
> > I write something like:
> > \starttext
> > \defineregister[index][indices]
>
> Predefined, can be omitted.
>
> > \index[Tantrum]Tantrums can be normal for
>
> \index{Tantrum}
>
> > \index[tantrum][tantrum+toddlers]toddlers. Young children have them for
>
> \index{tantrum+toodlers}
>
> > many reasons like being tired, feeling out of control, over-stimulated,
> > or wanting something they can't have.
> > General hints: Toddlers and preschoolers cannot regulate themselves
> > because they don't yet know their own limits.
> > \completeindex
> > \stoptext
>
> Wolfgang
>
> I have made a file with this post and I have managed to do an index.
> But with another file I got this message:
> system          : index not found/processed
> ! Extra \endgroup.
> \doplaceregister ...packed \stopcolumns \endgroup
>                                                   \fi
> \docompleteregister ...ter [\currentregister ][#2]
>                                                   \page [\v!yes ]\endgroup \fi
> <to be read again>
>                    \par
> l.2984
>
> ?
> [42.42]
> ! Extra \endgroup.
> \docompleteregister ...2]\page [\v!yes ]\endgroup
>                                                   \fi
> <to be read again>
>                    \par
>
> Is there something wrong I am doing.
> At the beginning I put this:
> \defineregister[index][indices]

This did not harm but "\index" is already defined in core-reg.tex and you need
\defineregister only if you want to use more indices.

> and \completeindex at the end.

Make a example where we can reproduce the error.

> Armando

Wolfgang

* Trouble with index
@ 2008-05-10 17:36 cidadaum
From: cidadaum @ 2008-05-10 17:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

In the fileOn Wed, Apr 30, 2008 at 1:00 PM,  <cidadaum at sapo.pt> wrote:

> So far I have not succeded to make an index in a book I am typesetting.
> I write something like:
> \starttext
> \defineregister[index][indices]

Prdefined, can be omitted.

> \index[Tantrum]Tantrums can be normal for

\index{Tantrum}

> \index[tantrum][tantrum+toddlers]toddlers. Young children have them for

\index{tantrum+toodlers}

> many reasons like being tired, feeling out of control, over-stimulated,
> or wanting something they can't have.
> General hints: Toddlers and preschoolers cannot regulate themselves
> because they don't yet know their own limits.
> \completeindex
> \stoptext

Wolfgang

I have made a file with this post and I have managed to do an index.
But with another file I got this message:
system          : index not found/processed
! Extra \endgroup.
\doplaceregister ...packed \stopcolumns \endgroup
                                                   \fi
\docompleteregister ...ter [\currentregister ][#2]
                                                   \page [\v!yes ]\endgroup \fi
<to be read again>
                    \par
l.2984

?
[42.42]
! Extra \endgroup.
\docompleteregister ...2]\page [\v!yes ]\endgroup
                                                   \fi
<to be read again>
                    \par

Is there something wrong I am doing.