* Buffers and commands with optional arguments
@ 2008-05-31 10:09 Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2008-05-31 10:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Hans,

I got yesterday a bug report for my letter module if the \startletter
command takes no arguments.

The following example show the problem without the module.

\def\startletter
  {\dosingleempty\dostartletter}

\def\dostartletter[#1]%
  {\dostartbuffer[letter][startletter][stopletter]}

\starttext

% This did work

\startletter
Text
\stopletter

\getbuffer[letter]

% But this did create a error message from TeX

\startletter

Text

\stopletter

\getbuffer[letter]

\stopletter

One solution for the second text can be solved when I add
a \relax after the \startletter command but I wanted a better
solution.

Because TeX mentions \flushbufferline in error message I tried
to modify the macro and came to the following solution.

%\def\flushbufferline#1%
\long\def\flushbufferline#1%
  {\iftmpblockstarted
     \ifsegmentatebuffer
       \ifemptybufferline
         \immediate\write\tmpblocks{\string\stopbufferparagraph }%
         \immediate\write\tmpblocks{\string\startbufferparagraph}%
       \else
         \immediate\write\tmpblocks{#1}%
       \fi
     \else
       \immediate\write\tmpblocks{#1}%
     \fi
   \else
     \doifsomething{#1}
       {\tmpblockstartedtrue
        %\immediate\write\tmpblocks{\string#1}}%
        \immediate\write\tmpblocks{#1}}%
   \fi}

The macro has to be defined as long and the \string
in the \write command has to be removed. I made a
few short tests and saw no negative sideeffects from
my changes.

Another problem could arise with a few commands
in the letter environment if no empty line is written
after \startletter.

The following result also in a error message.

\startletter
\dorecurse{2}{\input knuth\par}
\stopbuffer

With another modification of \flushbufferline also this
example could work, my final patch was now:

\long\def\flushbufferline#1%
  {\iftmpblockstarted
     \ifsegmentatebuffer
       \ifemptybufferline
         \immediate\write\tmpblocks{\string\stopbufferparagraph }%
         \immediate\write\tmpblocks{\string\startbufferparagraph}%
       \else
         \immediate\write\tmpblocks{#1}%
       \fi
     \else
       \immediate\write\tmpblocks{#1}%
     \fi
   \else
     \convertargument#1\to\ascii
     %\doifsomething{#1}
     \doifsomething\ascii
       {\tmpblockstartedtrue
        %\immediate\write\tmpblocks{\string#1}}%
        %\immediate\write\tmpblocks{#1}}%
        \immediate\write\tmpblocks{\ascii}}%
   \fi}

Could my seond or at least my first patched version
of the \flushbufferline macro integrated into core-buf.mkii
because I won't force users of my letter module to put a \relax
after \startletter only because they use MkII.

Greetings
Wolfgang

* Re: Buffers and commands with optional arguments
@ 2008-05-31 10:33 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2008-05-31 10:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

Wolfgang Schuster wrote:

>      \doifsomething{#1}
>        {\tmpblockstartedtrue
>         %\immediate\write\tmpblocks{\string#1}}%
>         \immediate\write\tmpblocks{#1}}%

i have no problem with the \long but changing the \string ... it's there
for a reason so i need to look into it

>      \convertargument#1\to\ascii
>      %\doifsomething{#1}
>      \doifsomething\ascii
>        {\tmpblockstartedtrue
>         %\immediate\write\tmpblocks{\string#1}}%
>         %\immediate\write\tmpblocks{#1}}%
>         \immediate\write\tmpblocks{\ascii}}%

this may introduce spaces after \cs and therefore renders buffers
useless for verbatim usage

> because I won't force users of my letter module to put a \relax
> after \startletter only because they use MkII.

did you try

\definebuffer[letter]

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2008-05-31 10:51 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2008-05-31 10:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

Wolfgang Schuster wrote:
> Hi Hans,
>
> I got yesterday a bug report for my letter module if the \startletter
> command takes no arguments.
>
> The following example show the problem without the module.
>
> \def\startletter
>   {\dosingleempty\dostartletter}
>
> \def\dostartletter[#1]%
>   {\dostartbuffer[letter][startletter][stopletter]}

either use \definebuffer, or do

\def\startletter
   {\bgroup\obeylines\dosingleempty\dostartletter}

\def\dostartletter[#1]%
   {\egroup\dostartbuffer[letter][startletter][stopletter]}

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2008-05-31 10:51   ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2008-05-31 10:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Hans,

On Sat, May 31, 2008 at 12:33 PM, Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:
> Wolfgang Schuster wrote:
>
>>      \doifsomething{#1}
>>        {\tmpblockstartedtrue
>>         %\immediate\write\tmpblocks{\string#1}}%
>>         \immediate\write\tmpblocks{#1}}%
>
> i have no problem with the \long but changing the \string ... it's there
> for a reason so i need to look into it

I removed it because the output from

\startletter

text

\stopletter

was written as "\partext" to the temp file and I got "\par text"
after I removed the \string.

>>      \convertargument#1\to\ascii
>>      %\doifsomething{#1}
>>      \doifsomething\ascii
>>        {\tmpblockstartedtrue
>>         %\immediate\write\tmpblocks{\string#1}}%
>>         %\immediate\write\tmpblocks{#1}}%
>>         \immediate\write\tmpblocks{\ascii}}%
>
> this may introduce spaces after \cs and therefore renders buffers
> useless for verbatim usage

This hack is not so importand because a empty line before the
\dorecurse did help.

>> because I won't force users of my letter module to put a \relax
>> after \startletter only because they use MkII.
>
> did you try
>
> \definebuffer[letter]

Seems to be work in my example, I will try it later with my module
but it looks good for the moment.

Thanks

@ 2008-06-02  6:42   ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2008-06-02  6:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, May 31, 2008 at 12:51 PM, Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:
> Wolfgang Schuster wrote:
>> Hi Hans,
>>
>> I got yesterday a bug report for my letter module if the \startletter
>> command takes no arguments.
>>
>> The following example show the problem without the module.
>>
>> \def\startletter
>>   {\dosingleempty\dostartletter}
>>
>> \def\dostartletter[#1]%
>>   {\dostartbuffer[letter][startletter][stopletter]}
>
> either use \definebuffer, or do

Did not work in my case.

> \def\startletter
>   {\bgroup\obeylines\dosingleempty\dostartletter}
>
> \def\dostartletter[#1]%
>   {\egroup\dostartbuffer[letter][startletter][stopletter]}

This has the unwanted side effect I expected to allow the argument
only on the same line as the \startletter command or is otherwise
shown in the output.

I will now include a modified version from the \flushbufferline macro
with my package in will look for the first person with a problem.

@ 2008-06-02  8:05     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2008-06-02  8:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

Wolfgang Schuster wrote:

> I will now include a modified version from the \flushbufferline macro
> with my package in will look for the first person with a problem.

keep in mind that such low level macros are not part of the official
interface and their name and/or the way of calling them may change

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2008-06-02  8:14       ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2008-06-02  8:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, Jun 2, 2008 at 10:05 AM, Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:
> Wolfgang Schuster wrote:
>
>> I will now include a modified version from the \flushbufferline macro
>> with my package in will look for the first person with a problem.
>
> keep in mind that such low level macros are not part of the official
> interface and their name and/or the way of calling them may change

I keep a eye on this but I won't force users a put \relax after \startletter
only because they use MkII.

Wolfgang