From: "Wolfgang Schuster" <schuster.wolfgang@googlemail.com>
Cc: Jonathan Kew <jonathan_kew@sil.org>
Subject: Re: Bitstream Charter vs. Charis SIL
Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2008 09:44:59 +0200	[thread overview]

On Mon, Jun 9, 2008 at 9:04 AM, Taco Hoekwater <taco@elvenkind.com> wrote:

> Wolfgang Schuster wrote:
>>
>> There is no difference, the same fonts are loaded, I tried this a month ago.
>>
>>> Now that I'm looking at it again at
>>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bitstream_Charter:

>>> What about adding
>>>      http://scripts.sil.org/CharisSILfont
>>> to the distribution, possibly including TeX Live, and replacing the
>>> definitions to use CharisSIL in XeTeX/LuaTeX instead of Bitstream
>>> Charter? The same move that has happened with TeX Gyre? Any comments?
>>> Suggestions?
>>
>> The fonts include more characters but come without any kerning information.
>
> The kerning of Bitstream Charter is so dodgy that this is not
> a big loss.

I have no problem if this is so.

I encountered another problem in my own typescripts for Charis SIL,
I could use the bold style when I use the file name but not for the font name.

Try this:

\starttypescript [serif] [charissil]
  \setups[font:fallback:serif]
  \definefontsynonym [Serif]           [CharisSIL-Regular]
  \definefontsynonym [SerifItalic]     [CharisSIL-Italic]
  \definefontsynonym [SerifBold]       [CharisSIL-Bold]
  \definefontsynonym [SerifBoldItalic] [CharisSIL-BoldItalic]
\stoptypescript

\starttypescript [serif] [charissil]
  \definefontsynonym [CharisSIL-Regular]    [file:CharisSILR]
[features=default]
  \definefontsynonym [CharisSIL-Italic]     [file:CharisSILI]
[features=default]
  \definefontsynonym [CharisSIL-Bold]       [file:CharisSILB]
[features=default]
  \definefontsynonym [CharisSIL-BoldItalic] [file:CharisSILBI]
[features=default]
\stoptypescript

\starttypescript [charissil]
  \definetypeface [charissil] [rm] [serif] [charissil] [default]
\stoptypescript

\usetypescript[charissil]
\setupbodyfont[charissil]

\starttext

\tf Text

\it Text

\bf Text

\bi Text

\stoptext

I get all four style in the output but when I use the font name in the
definition
the normal bold style is replace by the bolditalic style.

\starttypescript [serif] [charissil]
  \definefontsynonym [CharisSIL-Regular]    [name:Charis SIL]
   [features=default]
  \definefontsynonym [CharisSIL-Italic]     [name:Charis SIL Italic]
   [features=default]
  \definefontsynonym [CharisSIL-Bold]       [name:Charis SIL Bold]
   [features=default]
  \definefontsynonym [CharisSIL-BoldItalic] [name:Charis SIL Bold
Italic] [features=default]
\stoptypescript

Wolfgang