* fontscript for delicious?
@ 2008-06-09  1:06 Uwe Koloska
From: Uwe Koloska @ 2008-06-09  1:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hello,

does someone have a typescript (or what's now needed) for using the wonderful
delicious font with context?
  http://www.josbuivenga.demon.nl/delicious.html

It's available in opentype format.

Thank you
Uwe Koloska

* Re: fontscript for delicious?
@ 2008-06-09  7:54 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2008-06-09  7:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, Jun 9, 2008 at 3:06 AM, Uwe Koloska <ml@koloro.de> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> does someone have a typescript (or what's now needed) for using the wonderful
> delicious font with context?

I used it myself for the examples in my letter manual.

>  http://www.josbuivenga.demon.nl/delicious.html
>
> It's available in opentype format.

\starttypescript [sans] [delicious]
  \setups[font:fallback:sans]
  \definefontsynonym [Sans]           [Delicious-Regular]
  \definefontsynonym [SansItalic]     [Delicious-Italic]
  \definefontsynonym [SansBold]       [Delicious-Bold]
  \definefontsynonym [SansBoldItalic] [Delicious-BoldItalic]
  \definefontsynonym [SansCaps]       [Delicious-Caps]
\stoptypescript

\starttypescript [sans] [delicious]
  \definefontsynonym [Delicious-Regular]    [name:Delicious-Roman]
 [features=default]
  \definefontsynonym [Delicious-Italic]     [name:Delicious-Italic]
 [features=default]
  \definefontsynonym [Delicious-Bold]       [name:Delicious-Bold]
 [features=default]
  \definefontsynonym [Delicious-BoldItalic]
[name:Delicious-BoldItalic] [features=default]
  \definefontsynonym [Delicious-Caps]       [name:Delicious-SmallCaps]
 [features=default]
\stoptypescript

\starttypescript [delicious]
  \definetypeface [delicious] [ss] [sans] [delicious] [default]
\stoptypescript

Wolfgang

* Re: fontscript for delicious?
@ 2008-06-09  9:03   ` Uwe Koloska
From: Uwe Koloska @ 2008-06-09  9:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

Am Montag, 9. Juni 2008 schrieb Wolfgang Schuster:
> On Mon, Jun 9, 2008 at 3:06 AM, Uwe Koloska <ml@koloro.de> wrote:
> > does someone have a typescript (or what's now needed) for using the
> > wonderful delicious font with context?
>
> I used it myself for the examples in my letter manual.

Ah - Thank you!

But what is necessary to let it be known to context?
(process with texfont, etc.)

And where can I find the "letter manual"?  The letter-doc.pdf seems not to
include any examples nor the delicious fonts ...

Uwe

--
Dipl.-Ing. Uwe Koloska
Leiter Softwareentwicklung

voice INTER connect GmbH           Tel +351 481 088 3
Ammonstraße 35                     Fax +351 438 399 25
01067 Dresden - Germany            www.voiceinterconnect.de

* Re: fontscript for delicious?
@ 2008-06-09 12:07     ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2008-06-09 12:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, Jun 9, 2008 at 11:03 AM, Uwe Koloska
<koloska@voiceinterconnect.de> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Am Montag, 9. Juni 2008 schrieb Wolfgang Schuster:
>> On Mon, Jun 9, 2008 at 3:06 AM, Uwe Koloska <ml@koloro.de> wrote:
>> > does someone have a typescript (or what's now needed) for using the
>> > wonderful delicious font with context?
>>
>> I used it myself for the examples in my letter manual.
>
> Ah - Thank you!
>
> But what is necessary to let it be known to context?
> (process with texfont, etc.)

Save the typescripts in a file with the name "type-delicious.tex" and use it
in your document with:

\usetypefile  [delicious]
\usetypescript[delicious]
\setupbodyfont[delicious]

\starttext

My document with the delicious fonts.

\stoptext

You could put the fonts in the font directory of your OS or in a folder
in your TeX tree, to let LuaTeX or XeTeX know about your fonts call
"luatools --generate" or "context --generate" for LuaTeX and
"fc-cache -v -r" (not sure about the parameters) for XeTeX.

To get a PDF file save my example in a file with the name "delicious.tex"
(or whatever you want) and process it either with "texexec --lua delicious"
or "context delicious" (faster than the texexec call) for LuaTeX and
"texexec --xtx delicious" for XeTeX.

> And where can I find the "letter manual"?  The letter-doc.pdf seems not to
> include any examples nor the delicious fonts ...

http://wolfgang.schuster.googlepages.com/letter -> Manual

Wolfgang

* Re: fontscript for delicious?
@ 2008-06-09 22:35       ` Uwe Koloska
From: Uwe Koloska @ 2008-06-09 22:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello Wolfgang, hello list,

thank you for the help!

Unfortunately the code doesn't work flawlessly with the current minimal
context distribution.  So for the archive, here are the corrected files and a
short usage description:

The typescript that defines the context bindings for the delicious font from
  http://www.josbuivenga.demon.nl/delicious.html

--- type-delicious.---------------------------------------------------------
[...]

Now the testfile:
--- delicious-test.tex -----------------------------------------------------
\usetypescriptfile  [type-delicious]
\usetypescript[delicious]
\setupbodyfont[delicious]

\starttext

My document with the delicious fonts.

\input knuth

\stoptext

Now save these two file together with the otf-files from the delicious
download in a directory and call the luatex version of context with this
command:
  texexec --lua delicious-test.tex

What did I change?

1. The interface for the \definefontsynonym command seems to have changed:
There is no third parameter -- this one "[features=default]" end up in the
document as text.

2. To load the typescript, the command is not "\usetypefile  [delicious]"
but "\usetypescriptfile  [type-delicious]"

Have fun!
Uwe

* Re: fontscript for delicious?
@ 2008-06-10 14:22         ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2008-06-10 14:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello Uwe,

On Tue, Jun 10, 2008 at 12:35 AM, Uwe Koloska <ml@koloro.de> wrote:
> Hello Wolfgang, hello list,
>
> thank you for the help!
>
> Unfortunately the code doesn't work flawlessly with the current minimal
> context distribution.  So for the archive, here are the corrected files and a
> short usage description:
>

> The typescript that defines the context bindings for the delicious font from
>  http://www.josbuivenga.demon.nl/delicious.html
>
> --- type-delicious.---------------------------------------------------------
> \starttypescript [sans] [delicious]
>   \setups[font:fallback:sans]
>   \definefontsynonym [Sans]           [Delicious-Regular]
>   \definefontsynonym [SansItalic]     [Delicious-Italic]
>   \definefontsynonym [SansBold]       [Delicious-Bold]
>   \definefontsynonym [SansBoldItalic] [Delicious-BoldItalic]
>   \definefontsynonym [SansCaps]       [Delicious-Caps]
> \stoptypescript
>
> \starttypescript [sans] [delicious]
>   \definefontsynonym [Delicious-Regular]    [name:Delicious-Roman]
>   \definefontsynonym [Delicious-Italic]     [name:Delicious-Italic]
>   \definefontsynonym [Delicious-Bold]       [name:Delicious-Bold]
>   \definefontsynonym [Delicious-BoldItalic] [name:Delicious-BoldItalic]
>   \definefontsynonym [Delicious-Caps]       [name:Delicious-SmallCaps]
> \stoptypescript
>
> \starttypescript [delicious]
>   \definetypeface [delicious] [ss] [sans] [delicious] [default]
> \stoptypescript
>
> Now the testfile:
> --- delicious-test.tex -----------------------------------------------------
> \usetypescriptfile  [type-delicious]
> \usetypescript[delicious]
> \setupbodyfont[delicious]
>
> \starttext
>
> My document with the delicious fonts.
>
> \input knuth
>
> \stoptext
>
> Now save these two file together with the otf-files from the delicious
> download in a directory and call the luatex version of context with this
> command:
>  texexec --lua delicious-test.tex
>

> What did I change?
>
> 1. The interface for the \definefontsynonym command seems to have changed:
> There is no third parameter -- this one "[features=default]" end up in the
> document as text.

I will test it today evening and can give you tommorow an answer but what you
say makes no sense, there was always a third parameter for \definefontsynonym
and Hans use it too in type-otf.tex.

> 2. To load the typescript, the command is not "\usetypefile  [delicious]"
> but "\usetypescriptfile  [type-delicious]"

Both commands are equivalent, I used always the short form in my documents
since a few months and got never any problem with it.

> Have fun!
> Uwe

Greetings
Wolfgang

* Re: fontscript for delicious?
@ 2008-06-11  7:43         ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2008-06-11  7:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hallo Uwe,

On Tue, Jun 10, 2008 at 12:35 AM, Uwe Koloska <ml@koloro.de> wrote:
> Hello Wolfgang, hello list,
>
> thank you for the help!
>
> Unfortunately the code doesn't work flawlessly with the current minimal
> context distribution.  So for the archive, here are the corrected files and a
> short usage description:

I tested it now on my own system and it worked for me.

ConTeXT:

MtxRun | main context file:
C:/tex/share/texmf-local/tex/context/base/context.tex
MtxRun | current version: 2008.06.07 23:44

LuaTeX:

This is LuaTeX, Version snapshot-0.25.3-2008060811
This is build 1309, created on 20080608T112701Z

XeTeX:

XeTeX 3.1415926-2.2-0.999.1 (Web2C 7.5.6)

> The typescript that defines the context bindings for the delicious font from
>  http://www.josbuivenga.demon.nl/delicious.html
>
> --- type-delicious.---------------------------------------------------------
> \starttypescript [sans] [delicious]
>   \setups[font:fallback:sans]
>   \definefontsynonym [Sans]           [Delicious-Regular]
>   \definefontsynonym [SansItalic]     [Delicious-Italic]
>   \definefontsynonym [SansBold]       [Delicious-Bold]
>   \definefontsynonym [SansBoldItalic] [Delicious-BoldItalic]
>   \definefontsynonym [SansCaps]       [Delicious-Caps]
> \stoptypescript
>
> \starttypescript [sans] [delicious]
>   \definefontsynonym [Delicious-Regular]    [name:Delicious-Roman]
>   \definefontsynonym [Delicious-Italic]     [name:Delicious-Italic]
>   \definefontsynonym [Delicious-Bold]       [name:Delicious-Bold]
>   \definefontsynonym [Delicious-BoldItalic] [name:Delicious-BoldItalic]
>   \definefontsynonym [Delicious-Caps]       [name:Delicious-SmallCaps]
> \stoptypescript
>
> \starttypescript [delicious]
>   \definetypeface [delicious] [ss] [sans] [delicious] [default]
> \stoptypescript
>
> Now the testfile:
> --- delicious-test.tex -----------------------------------------------------
> \usetypescriptfile  [type-delicious]
> \usetypescript[delicious]
> \setupbodyfont[delicious]
>
> \starttext
>
> My document with the delicious fonts.
>
> \input knuth
>
> \stoptext
>
> Now save these two file together with the otf-files from the delicious
> download in a directory and call the luatex version of context with this
> command:
>  texexec --lua delicious-test.tex
>

> What did I change?
>
> 1. The interface for the \definefontsynonym command seems to have changed:
> There is no third parameter -- this one "[features=default]" end up in the
> document as text.

Makes no sense because you need the third parameter to define smallcaps
if you don't have a seperate font but select it as OpenType feature. Kerning,
ligatures etc. are enabled with the features parameter too.

> 2. To load the typescript, the command is not "\usetypefile  [delicious]"
> but "\usetypescriptfile  [type-delicious]"

Why did it not work for you, do you get a error message or is the file
not loaded,
give us more information, ConTeXt version, LuaTeX version, log files ...

I attached my typescript and test files with the output for XeTeX and LuaTeX.

Wolfgang

[-- Attachment #2: delicious.zip --]
[-- Type: application/zip, Size: 21807 bytes --]

* Re: fontscript for delicious?
@ 2008-06-11 22:38           ` Uwe Koloska
From: Uwe Koloska @ 2008-06-11 22:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello Wolfgang,

mmmh, very curious.  Today I wasn't able to reproduce the problems I have had
yesterday ...
Everything works exactly as you said with no changes to your files.

So I revoke and argue the converse.

Am Mittwoch, 11. Juni 2008 schrieb Wolfgang Schuster:
> I tested it now on my own system and it worked for me.
>
> ConTeXT:
>
> MtxRun | main context file:
> C:/tex/share/texmf-local/tex/context/base/context.tex
> MtxRun | current version: 2008.06.07 23:44

> context --version
MtxRun | main context
file: /home/koloska/context-minimal/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/context.tex
MtxRun | current version: 2008.06.03 19:55

but with context, I was not able to compile the file, cause there are the
tfm-files missing.

> LuaTeX:
>
> This is LuaTeX, Version snapshot-0.25.3-2008060811
> This is build 1309, created on 20080608T112701Z

> luatex --version
This is LuaTeX, Version snapshot-0.25.3-2008052302
This is build 0, created on 20080410T143312Z
Compiled with libpng 1.2.15; using libpng 1.2.15
Compiled with zlib 1.2.3; using zlib 1.2.3
Compiled with xpdf version 3.01

> XeTeX:
>
> XeTeX 3.1415926-2.2-0.999.1 (Web2C 7.5.6)

> xetex --version
XeTeX 3.1415926-2.2-0.998.5-dev (Web2C 7.5.6)

> > 1. The interface for the \definefontsynonym command seems to have
> > changed: There is no third parameter -- this one "[features=default]" end
> > up in the document as text.
>
> Makes no sense because you need the third parameter to define smallcaps
> if you don't have a seperate font but select it as OpenType feature.
> Kerning, ligatures etc. are enabled with the features parameter too.

No idea, what was wrong ...
The third parameter was included as normal text in the resulting pdf.

> > 2. To load the typescript, the command is not "\usetypefile  [delicious]"
> > but "\usetypescriptfile  [type-delicious]"
>
> Why did it not work for you, do you get a error message or is the file
> not loaded,
> give us more information, ConTeXt version, LuaTeX version, log files ...

I've got an error that the command doesn't matches it's definition.
This works today without problems, too ...

I'm on linux and have installed the context minimal with the help of
first-setup.sh on 2008-06-07.

So, thank you for your help!
The next time I get any curious result, I will save the logfiles ;-)

Uwe

* Re: fontscript for delicious?
@ 2008-06-12  7:32             ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2008-06-12  7:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Jun 12, 2008 at 12:38 AM, Uwe Koloska <ml@koloro.de> wrote:
> Hello Wolfgang,
>
> mmmh, very curious.  Today I wasn't able to reproduce the problems I have had
> yesterday ...
> Everything works exactly as you said with no changes to your files.
>
> So I revoke and argue the converse.
>
> Am Mittwoch, 11. Juni 2008 schrieb Wolfgang Schuster:
>> I tested it now on my own system and it worked for me.
>>
>> ConTeXt:
>>
>> MtxRun | main context file:
>> C:/tex/share/texmf-local/tex/context/base/context.tex
>> MtxRun | current version: 2008.06.07 23:44
>
>> context --version
> MtxRun | main context
> file: /home/koloska/context-minimal/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/context.tex
> MtxRun | current version: 2008.06.03 19:55
>
> but with context, I was not able to compile the file, cause there are the
> tfm-files missing.

What's with "mtxrun --script context delicious" and "texexec --lua delicious",
messages for tfm files should come with pdfTeX.

>> LuaTeX:
>>
>> This is LuaTeX, Version snapshot-0.25.3-2008060811
>> This is build 1309, created on 20080608T112701Z
>
>> luatex --version
> This is LuaTeX, Version snapshot-0.25.3-2008052302
> This is build 0, created on 20080410T143312Z
> Compiled with libpng 1.2.15; using libpng 1.2.15
> Compiled with zlib 1.2.3; using zlib 1.2.3
> Compiled with xpdf version 3.01
>
>> XeTeX:
>>
>> XeTeX 3.1415926-2.2-0.999.1 (Web2C 7.5.6)
>
>> xetex --version
> XeTeX 3.1415926-2.2-0.998.5-dev (Web2C 7.5.6)
>
>> > 1. The interface for the \definefontsynonym command seems to have
>> > changed: There is no third parameter -- this one "[features=default]" end
>> > up in the document as text.
>>
>> Makes no sense because you need the third parameter to define smallcaps
>> if you don't have a seperate font but select it as OpenType feature.
>> Kerning, ligatures etc. are enabled with the features parameter too.
>
> No idea, what was wrong ...
> The third parameter was included as normal text in the resulting pdf.
>
>> > 2. To load the typescript, the command is not "\usetypefile  [delicious]"
>> > but "\usetypescriptfile  [type-delicious]"
>>
>> Why did it not work for you, do you get a error message or is the file
>> not loaded,
>> give us more information, ConTeXt version, LuaTeX version, log files ...
>
> I've got an error that the command doesn't matches it's definition.
> This works today without problems, too ...
>
> I'm on linux and have installed the context minimal with the help of
> first-setup.sh on 2008-06-07.
>
> So, thank you for your help!
> The next time I get any curious result, I will save the logfiles ;-)
>
> Uwe

Wolfgang

* Re: fontscript for delicious?
@ 2008-06-15 15:44               ` Uwe Koloska
From: Uwe Koloska @ 2008-06-15 15:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello Wolfgang,

Am Donnerstag, 12. Juni 2008 schrieb Wolfgang Schuster:
> On Thu, Jun 12, 2008 at 12:38 AM, Uwe Koloska <ml@koloro.de> wrote:
> > MtxRun | main context
> > file:
> > /home/koloska/context-minimal/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/context.
> >tex MtxRun | current version: 2008.06.03 19:55
> >
> > but with context, I was not able to compile the file, cause there are the
> > tfm-files missing.
>
> What's with "mtxrun --script context delicious" and "texexec --lua
> delicious", messages for tfm files should come with pdfTeX.

Maybe a simple misunderstanding: 'texexec --lua' works fine, but 'context'
(the application) gives the missing tfm error.  This is because the standard
runtime called by the application 'context' is pdftex and not luatex, isn't
it?

Uwe

* Re: fontscript for delicious?
@ 2008-06-15 16:18                 ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2008-06-15 16:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, 15 Jun 2008, Uwe Koloska wrote:

> Hello Wolfgang,
>
> Am Donnerstag, 12. Juni 2008 schrieb Wolfgang Schuster:
>> On Thu, Jun 12, 2008 at 12:38 AM, Uwe Koloska <ml@koloro.de> wrote:
>>> MtxRun | main context
>>> file:
>>> /home/koloska/context-minimal/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/context.
>>> tex MtxRun | current version: 2008.06.03 19:55
>>>
>>> but with context, I was not able to compile the file, cause there are the
>>> tfm-files missing.
>>
>> What's with "mtxrun --script context delicious" and "texexec --lua
>> delicious", messages for tfm files should come with pdfTeX.
>
> Maybe a simple misunderstanding: 'texexec --lua' works fine, but 'context'
> (the application) gives the missing tfm error.  This is because the standard
> runtime called by the application 'context' is pdftex and not luatex, isn't
> it?

No, 'context' always runs luatex, and not pdftex.

The script 'context' calls 'mtxrun --script context' which in turn calls
'mtx-context.lua' which does all the work. mtx-context.lua is run by the
lua interpreter inside luatex, and always runs in mkiv mode. You should be
able to check this by looking at the top few lines of the log file.

Aditya

* Re: fontscript for delicious?
@ 2008-06-15 16:23                   ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2008-06-15 16:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On Sun, 15 Jun 2008 12:18:43 -0400 (EDT)
Aditya Mahajan <adityam@umich.edu> wrote:

> On Sun, 15 Jun 2008, Uwe Koloska wrote:
>
> > Hello Wolfgang,

> >> What's with "mtxrun --script context delicious" and "texexec --lua
> >> delicious", messages for tfm files should come with pdfTeX.
> >
> > Maybe a simple misunderstanding: 'texexec --lua' works fine, but 'context'
> > (the application) gives the missing tfm error.  This is because the standard
> > runtime called by the application 'context' is pdftex and not luatex, isn't
> > it?
>
> No, 'context' always runs luatex, and not pdftex.
>
> The script 'context' calls 'mtxrun --script context' which in turn calls
> 'mtx-context.lua' which does all the work. mtx-context.lua is run by the
> lua interpreter inside luatex, and always runs in mkiv mode. You should be
> able to check this by looking at the top few lines of the log file.

It's possible he defined a script by himself for ConTeXt which use
pdfTeX, in this case he should replace them with ones delivered with
the distribution, he can find them in
$TEXMF/scripts/context/stubs/(unix|mswin)/

Wolfgang

* Re: fontscript for delicious?
@ 2008-06-15 17:44                 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2008-06-15 17:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

Uwe Koloska wrote:
> Hello Wolfgang,
>
> Am Donnerstag, 12. Juni 2008 schrieb Wolfgang Schuster:
>> On Thu, Jun 12, 2008 at 12:38 AM, Uwe Koloska <ml@koloro.de> wrote:
>>> MtxRun | main context
>>> file:
>>> /home/koloska/context-minimal/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/context.
>>> tex MtxRun | current version: 2008.06.03 19:55
>>>
>>> but with context, I was not able to compile the file, cause there are the
>>> tfm-files missing.
>> What's with "mtxrun --script context delicious" and "texexec --lua
>> delicious", messages for tfm files should come with pdfTeX.
>
> Maybe a simple misunderstanding: 'texexec --lua' works fine, but 'context'
> (the application) gives the missing tfm error.  This is because the standard
> runtime called by the application 'context' is pdftex and not luatex, isn't
> it?

context (mtx-context) currently only handles luatex (i may add support
for pdftex/xetex so that we can replace th eruby scripts, but it has a
low priority)

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE