* LuaTeX problems
@ 2008-06-26  6:57 Tomi Lindberg
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Tomi Lindberg @ 2008-06-26  6:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

ConTeXt minimals is up and running but I have problems with LuaTeX.
First the files I assume to be important:

% Project
\startproject atkmom

\environment environ
\product book

\stopproject

% Product
\startproduct book

\project atkmom

\component images

\startfrontmatter
    \environment fmatter
    \completecontent
\stopfrontmatter

\startbodymatter
    \environment body
    \component intro
    \component osbasics
    \component files
    \component opera
\stopbodymatter

\startbackmatter
    \completeindex[title=Hakemisto]
\stopbackmatter

\stopproduct

With "texexec" my project results in proper .pdf file except the
additional empty page at the end of it.

With "context" the process ends after line "\product book" (I get a
proper notice about the end of product book) in project file and i get
the "*" prompt. It seems like LuaTeX can't see the "\stopproject" at
all and thinks that the file has unexpectedly ended.

Also with context I get messages that every \at, \in and \about that
refers to something in component other than the one they're in is an
unknown reference. They all work fine with texexec.

Any idea what's wrong?

* Re: LuaTeX problems
@ 2008-06-26  7:05 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2008-06-26  7:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Jun 26, 2008 at 8:57 AM, Tomi Lindberg <tomi.lindberg@gmail.com> wrote:
> ConTeXt minimals is up and running but I have problems with LuaTeX.
> First the files I assume to be important:
>
> % Project
> \startproject atkmom
>
> \environment environ
> \product book
>
> \stopproject
>

> % Product
> \startproduct book
>
> \project atkmom
>
> \component images
>
> \startfrontmatter
>    \environment fmatter
>    \completecontent
> \stopfrontmatter
>
> \startbodymatter
>    \environment body
>    \component intro
>    \component osbasics
>    \component files
>    \component opera
> \stopbodymatter
>
> \startbackmatter
>    \completeindex[title=Hakemisto]
> \stopbackmatter
>
> \stopproduct
>

> With "texexec" my project results in proper .pdf file except the
> additional empty page at the end of it.
>
> With "context" the process ends after line "\product book" (I get a
> proper notice about the end of product book) in project file and i get
> the "*" prompt. It seems like LuaTeX can't see the "\stopproject" at
> all and thinks that the file has unexpectedly ended.
>
> Also with context I get messages that every \at, \in and \about that
> refers to something in component other than the one they're in is an
> unknown reference. They all work fine with texexec.
>
> Any idea what's wrong?

Do you call "context book" or "context atkmom"?

Regards
Wolfgang

* Re: LuaTeX problems
@ 2008-06-26 11:41   ` Diego Depaoli
From: Diego Depaoli @ 2008-06-26 11:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

2008/6/26 Wolfgang Schuster <schuster.wolfgang@googlemail.com>:
> On Thu, Jun 26, 2008 at 8:57 AM, Tomi Lindberg <tomi.lindberg@gmail.com> wrote:
>> ConTeXt minimals is up and running but I have problems with LuaTeX.

Without further details, I can confirm it.
Before go to the bed I launched twice 'context myfile' and compilation
stopped with * prompt while 'texexec myfile' ran fine.
Myfile is a simple (malformed of course) tex file.
It looks like the code suggested here (thanks again Wolfgang)
http://www.ntg.nl/pipermail/ntg-context/2008/032438.html
causes this issue, but I'm unsure.

Regards
--
Diego Depaoli

* Re: LuaTeX problems
@ 2008-06-26 11:50   ` Tomi Lindberg
From: Tomi Lindberg @ 2008-06-26 11:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

2008/6/26, Wolfgang Schuster <schuster.wolfgang@googlemail.com>:

> Do you call "context book" or "context atkmom"?

As I'm trying to make whole project I use "context atkmom".

Thanks,
Tomi Lindberg

* Re: LuaTeX problems
@ 2008-06-26 12:17 ` Jean Magnan de Bornier
From: Jean Magnan de Bornier @ 2008-06-26 12:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Le 26 juin à 08:57:09 "Tomi Lindberg" <tomi.lindberg@gmail.com> écrit notamment:

| ConTeXt minimals is up and running but I have problems with LuaTeX.
| First the files I assume to be important:
>
| % Project
| \startproject atkmom
>
| \environment environ
| \product book
>
| \stopproject
>

| % Product
| \startproduct book
>
| \project atkmom
>
| \component images
>
| \startfrontmatter
|     \environment fmatter
|     \completecontent
| \stopfrontmatter
>
| \startbodymatter
|     \environment body
|     \component intro
|     \component osbasics
|     \component files
|     \component opera
| \stopbodymatter
>
| \startbackmatter
|     \completeindex[title=Hakemisto]
| \stopbackmatter
>
| \stopproduct
>

| With "texexec" my project results in proper .pdf file except the
| additional empty page at the end of it.
>
| With "context" the process ends after line "\product book" (I get a
| proper notice about the end of product book) in project file and i get
| the "*" prompt. It seems like LuaTeX can't see the "\stopproject" at
| all and thinks that the file has unexpectedly ended.
>
| Also with context I get messages that every \at, \in and \about that
| refers to something in component other than the one they're in is an
| unknown reference. They all work fine with texexec.
>
| Any idea what's wrong?

AFAIK not all commands are implemented in "context"; two weeks ago I asked
about the same question about why bibtex works with texexec and not with
context; the thread's name is:

context command and the bbl file

Regards
--
Jean

* Re: LuaTeX problems
@ 2008-06-26 12:46     ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2008-06-26 12:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Jun 26, 2008 at 1:50 PM, Tomi Lindberg <tomi.lindberg@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2008/6/26, Wolfgang Schuster <schuster.wolfgang@googlemail.com>:
>
>> Do you call "context book" or "context atkmom"?
>
> As I'm trying to make whole project I use "context atkmom".

A project AFAIK only a collection of products with the same settings
and you could use it to share environments between different product
but the file itself is not intended to be processed by ConTeXt.

Regards
Wolfgang

* Re: LuaTeX problems
@ 2008-06-26 19:11       ` Diego Depaoli
From: Diego Depaoli @ 2008-06-26 19:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

2008/6/26 Wolfgang Schuster <schuster.wolfgang@googlemail.com>:
> On Thu, Jun 26, 2008 at 1:50 PM, Tomi Lindberg <tomi.lindberg@gmail.com> wrote:
>> 2008/6/26, Wolfgang Schuster <schuster.wolfgang@googlemail.com>:
>>
>>> Do you call "context book" or "context atkmom"?
>>
>> As I'm trying to make whole project I use "context atkmom".
>
> A project AFAIK only a collection of products with the same settings
> and you could use it to share environments between different product
> but the file itself is not intended to be processed by ConTeXt.

Now I'm again in my box
That's the error which I get running context myfile

%context giornalino-7.tex
MtxRun | loading configuration for /home/diego/tex/texmf/web2c from
/home/diego/tex/texmf-cache/luatex-cache/context/674254fbca699b0314c014473d5e0398/trees/a5a6a2c980cb29d5f5c1cc9e034556ad
MtxRun | run 1: luatex
--fmt="/home/diego/tex/texmf-cache/luatex-cache/context/674254fbca699b0314c014473d5e0398/formats/cont-en"
--lua="/home/diego/tex/texmf-cache/luatex-cache/context/674254fbca699b0314c014473d5e0398/formats/cont-en.lua"
"./giornalino-7.tex"
(giornalino-7.tex

ConTeXt  ver: 2008.06.22 17:38 MKIV  fmt: 2008.6.26  int: english/english

language       : language en is active
utilityfile | not present
system         : cont-new loaded
(/home/diego/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/cont-new.tex
systems         : beware: some patches loaded from cont-new.tex
(/home/diego/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/cont-new.mkiv
lua            : used config path - /home/diego/tex/texmf/web2c/texmf.cnf
lua            : used cache path -
/home/diego/tex/texmf-cache/luatex-cache/context/674254fbca699b0314c014473d5e0398
) (/home/diego/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/cont-mtx.tex))
system         : cont-old loaded
(/home/diego/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/cont-old.tex
)
system         : cont-fil loaded
(/home/diego/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/cont-fil.tex
)
system         : cont-sys loaded
(/home/diego/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/user/cont-sys.tex
(/home/diego/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/type-tmf.tex)
(/home/diego/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/type-siz.tex)
(/home/diego/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/type-otf.tex))
bodyfont       : 12pt rm is loaded
specials       : tex loaded
system         : giornalino-7.top loaded
(giornalino-7.top
specials       : loading definition file tpd
(/home/diego/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/spec-tpd.tex
specials       : loading definition file fdf
(/home/diego/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/spec-fdf.tex
(/home/diego/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/spec-fdf.mkiv))
specials       : fdf loaded
)
specials       : fdf loaded
)
layout         : 1 times text postponed
)
*

and this is the piece code causing the issue
----begins here----
\setupexternalfigures[location={local,global,default}]
\startpostponing[4]

\offset

[leftoffset=-\backspace,

topoffset=-\dimexpr\topspace+\headerheight\relax]

{\clip

  [width=\paperwidth]

 {\externalfigure[cow][width=2\paperwidth,height=\paperheight]}}

\stoppostponing

\startpostponing[5]

\noheaderandfooterlines

\offset

[leftoffset=-\backspace,

 topoffset=-\dimexpr\topspace+\headerheight\relax]

{\clip

 [hoffset=\paperwidth,width=\paperwidth]

 {\externalfigure[cow][width=2\paperwidth,height=\paperheight]}}

\stoppostponing

---ends here------

Cheers
--
Diego Depaoli

* Re: LuaTeX problems
@ 2008-06-26 19:56         ` Diego Depaoli
From: Diego Depaoli @ 2008-06-26 19:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

2008/6/26 Diego Depaoli <trebestie@gmail.com>:
Ooops, I was wrong...
with this \startpostponing \stoppostponing luatex 0.25 fails too.

--
Diego Depaoli

* Re: LuaTeX problems
@ 2008-06-27  5:56           ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2008-06-27  5:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Jun 26, 2008 at 9:56 PM, Diego Depaoli <trebestie@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2008/6/26 Diego Depaoli <trebestie@gmail.com>:
> Ooops, I was wrong...
> with this \startpostponing \stoppostponing luatex 0.25 fails too.

\def\nodostartpostponing[#1]%
  {\doglobal\increment\nofpostponedpageblocks
   \bgroup % a little bit of misusing grouping
   \doifinstring{+}{#1}\advance \realpageno#1\relax % ugly but efficient
   \doglobal\appendetoks\noexpand\getpostponedblock
     {\realfolio}{\nofpostponedpageblocks}\to\postponedpageblocks
   \egroup
   \showmessage\m!layouts3\nofpostponedpageblocks
   %\dostartbuffer[rbuf-\nofpostponedpageblocks]%
   %  [\e!start\v!postponing][\e!stop\v!postponing]}
   \expanded{\dostartbuffer[rbuf-\nofpostponedpageblocks]%

@ 2008-06-27  5:59 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2008-06-27  5:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Jun 26, 2008 at 8:57 AM, Tomi Lindberg <tomi.lindberg@gmail.com> wrote:
> ConTeXt minimals is up and running but I have problems with LuaTeX.
> First the files I assume to be important:
>
> % Project
> \startproject atkmom
>
> \environment environ
> \product book
>
> \stopproject
>

> % Product
> \startproduct book
>
> \project atkmom
>
> \component images
>
> \startfrontmatter
>    \environment fmatter
>    \completecontent
> \stopfrontmatter
>
> \startbodymatter
>    \environment body
>    \component intro
>    \component osbasics
>    \component files
>    \component opera
> \stopbodymatter
>
> \startbackmatter
>    \completeindex[title=Hakemisto]
> \stopbackmatter
>
> \stopproduct
>

> With "texexec" my project results in proper .pdf file except the
> additional empty page at the end of it.
>
> With "context" the process ends after line "\product book" (I get a
> proper notice about the end of product book) in project file and i get
> the "*" prompt. It seems like LuaTeX can't see the "\stopproject" at
> all and thinks that the file has unexpectedly ended.
>
> Also with context I get messages that every \at, \in and \about that
> refers to something in component other than the one they're in is an
> unknown reference. They all work fine with texexec.
>
> Any idea what's wrong?

Both files work for me but I don't have your component or environment
files and there is a problem with the content in one of the files but as
long as you don't give us more information we can't help you.

Instead of sending us all other files you should make a minimal example
where we can reproduce the error.

Regards,
Wolfgang

* Re: LuaTeX problems
@ 2008-06-28  3:50   ` Tomi Lindberg
From: Tomi Lindberg @ 2008-06-28  3:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

2008/6/27, Wolfgang Schuster <schuster.wolfgang@googlemail.com>:

> Both files work for me but I don't have your component or environment
>  files and there is a problem with the content in one of the files but as
>  long as you don't give us more information we can't help you.
>
>  Instead of sending us all other files you should make a minimal example
>  where we can reproduce the error.

Seems that my problem was just an error of mine - one the components
had a missing \stopitemize and adding it fixed the compile errors
(somehow I assumed that if it compiles with texexec it should be
syntactically correct but looks like I was wrong). Now
"context/texexec <product-name>" and "context/texexec <project-name"
all create identical .pdf files except the following:

texexec seems to fill pages better while context at times leaves a lot
of air at the end of page if in middle of a list.

Indexes are definately in favor of texexec. context fails to order 'ä'
and 'ö' correctly - it just thinks they're 'a' and 'o' while texexec
works as it should. Also context doesn't add 'titles' for letters. And
finally there's a weird 'unknown' entry at the start of context index.

texexec makes an extra empty page at the end of document while context
doesn't. Compared to the above this seems a minor gain though.

Thanks,
Tomi Lindberg

* Re: LuaTeX problems
@ 2008-06-28 12:09     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2008-06-28 12:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

Tomi Lindberg wrote:

> texexec seems to fill pages better while context at times leaves a lot
> of air at the end of page if in middle of a list.

texexec adds a \stoptext cq \end to the input line (that specifies the
main file) so this hides an error; in mkiv i no longer do that ... files
should be just ok

> Indexes are definately in favor of texexec. context fails to order 'ä'
> and 'ö' correctly - it just thinks they're 'a' and 'o' while texexec
> works as it should. Also context doesn't add 'titles' for letters. And
> finally there's a weird 'unknown' entry at the start of context index.

depends ... i assume you're talking mkiv here? we need to add more
languages to it (sorting vectors) and of course there can be bugs in the
code

> texexec makes an extra empty page at the end of document while context
> doesn't. Compared to the above this seems a minor gain though.

unrelated to texexec/context ... texexec is just a ruby script that runs
  tex for you; it's marks being reset that can add a node to the end of
the document (depends a bit on the style) while luatex has a clearmarks
primitive that we use and which has no side effects (unfortunately
clearmarks was never added to etex)

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: LuaTeX problems
@ 2008-06-30  7:31     ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2008-06-30  7:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, Jun 28, 2008 at 5:50 AM, Tomi Lindberg <tomi.lindberg@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2008/6/27, Wolfgang Schuster <schuster.wolfgang@googlemail.com>:
>
>> Both files work for me but I don't have your component or environment
>>  files and there is a problem with the content in one of the files but as
>>  long as you don't give us more information we can't help you.
>>
>>  Instead of sending us all other files you should make a minimal example
>>  where we can reproduce the error.
>
> Seems that my problem was just an error of mine - one the components
> had a missing \stopitemize and adding it fixed the compile errors
> (somehow I assumed that if it compiles with texexec it should be
> syntactically correct but looks like I was wrong). Now
> "context/texexec <product-name>" and "context/texexec <project-name"
> all create identical .pdf files except the following:
>
> texexec seems to fill pages better while context at times leaves a lot
> of air at the end of page if in middle of a list.
>
> Indexes are definately in favor of texexec. context fails to order 'ä'
> and 'ö' correctly - it just thinks they're 'a' and 'o' while texexec
> works as it should. Also context doesn't add 'titles' for letters. And
> finally there's a weird 'unknown' entry at the start of context index.

What language do you use for your document, indices work in MkIV
currently only for english, dutch, czech and german.

I could help you to add support for your language, you could also
use a sorting order from one of the supported languages with

\placeindex[language=en|nl|de|Duden|DIN 5007-1|...]

@ 2008-06-30 17:55             ` Diego Depaoli
From: Diego Depaoli @ 2008-06-30 17:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

2008/6/27 Wolfgang Schuster <schuster.wolfgang@googlemail.com>:
> On Thu, Jun 26, 2008 at 9:56 PM, Diego Depaoli <trebestie@gmail.com> wrote:
>> 2008/6/26 Diego Depaoli <trebestie@gmail.com>:
>> Ooops, I was wrong...
>> with this \startpostponing \stoppostponing luatex 0.25 fails too.
>
> \def\nodostartpostponing[#1]%
>  {\doglobal\increment\nofpostponedpageblocks
>   \bgroup % a little bit of misusing grouping
>   \doifinstring{+}{#1}\advance \realpageno#1\relax % ugly but efficient
>   \doglobal\appendetoks\noexpand\getpostponedblock
>     {\realfolio}{\nofpostponedpageblocks}\to\postponedpageblocks
>   \egroup
>   \showmessage\m!layouts3\nofpostponedpageblocks
>   %\dostartbuffer[rbuf-\nofpostponedpageblocks]%
>   %  [\e!start\v!postponing][\e!stop\v!postponing]}
>   \expanded{\dostartbuffer[rbuf-\nofpostponedpageblocks]%
>     [\e!start\v!postponing][\e!stop\v!postponing]}}
Sorry for the delay in test but I was away from my pc...
Many thanks for the quick reply, sometime we pay for a worse and slower support!
Unfortunately this doesn't work
! Undefined control sequence.
<argument> \m

\normalshowmessage ... {interfaces.showmessage("#1
                                                  ","#2","#3")}
\nodostartpostponing ...\egroup \showmessage \m !l
                                                  ayouts3\nofpostponedpagebl...
l.102 \startpostponing[4]

?

Where I'm wrong?

Cheers,

--
Diego Depaoli

* Re: LuaTeX problems
@ 2008-06-30 18:49               ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2008-06-30 18:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

Diego Depaoli wrote:
> 2008/6/27 Wolfgang Schuster <schuster.wolfgang@googlemail.com>:
>> On Thu, Jun 26, 2008 at 9:56 PM, Diego Depaoli <trebestie@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> 2008/6/26 Diego Depaoli <trebestie@gmail.com>:
>>> Ooops, I was wrong...
>>> with this \startpostponing \stoppostponing luatex 0.25 fails too.
>> \def\nodostartpostponing[#1]%
>>  {\doglobal\increment\nofpostponedpageblocks
>>   \bgroup % a little bit of misusing grouping
>>   \doifinstring{+}{#1}\advance \realpageno#1\relax % ugly but efficient
>>   \doglobal\appendetoks\noexpand\getpostponedblock
>>     {\realfolio}{\nofpostponedpageblocks}\to\postponedpageblocks
>>   \egroup
>>   \showmessage\m!layouts3\nofpostponedpageblocks
>>   %\dostartbuffer[rbuf-\nofpostponedpageblocks]%
>>   %  [\e!start\v!postponing][\e!stop\v!postponing]}
>>   \expanded{\dostartbuffer[rbuf-\nofpostponedpageblocks]%
>>     [\e!start\v!postponing][\e!stop\v!postponing]}}
> Sorry for the delay in test but I was away from my pc...
> Many thanks for the quick reply, sometime we pay for a worse and slower support!
> Unfortunately this doesn't work
> ! Undefined control sequence.
> <argument> \m
>
> \normalshowmessage ... {interfaces.showmessage("#1
>                                                   ","#2","#3")}
> \nodostartpostponing ...\egroup \showmessage \m !l
>                                                   ayouts3\nofpostponedpagebl...
> l.102 \startpostponing[4]
>
> ?
>
> Where I'm wrong?

add \unprotect \protect

\unprotect

the patch

\protect

or better, put the patch in cont-new.tex so that an update workd out well

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: LuaTeX problems
@ 2008-06-30 19:24                 ` Diego Depaoli
From: Diego Depaoli @ 2008-06-30 19:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

2008/6/30 Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl>:
> add \unprotect \protect
>
> \unprotect
>
> the patch
>
> \protect
It works perfectly!!!
Thanks again

--
Diego Depaoli

* Re: LuaTeX problems
@ 2008-07-02 19:46       ` Tomi Lindberg
From: Tomi Lindberg @ 2008-07-02 19:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

2008/6/30, Wolfgang Schuster <schuster.wolfgang@googlemail.com>:

> What language do you use for your document, indices work in MkIV
>  currently only for english, dutch, czech and german.

My document is in Finnish so that certainly explains it. As I'm not on
a computer with ConTeXt Minimals at the moment, I must ask if this
also means that MkIV doesn't hyphenate other languages correctly (I
didn't inspect my result that closely and I've been busy with other
stuff the last few days)?

>  I could help you to add support for your language, you could also
>  use a sorting order from one of the supported languages with
>
>  \placeindex[language=en|nl|de|Duden|DIN 5007-1|...]

By quick Googling it seems that none of them sort in "Finnish" way. Is
adding a language support big effort or more on the quick 'n' easy
side of things? Being quite new to this I wouldn't really like to
bother you with guiding me through any major task.

Thanks,
Tomi Lindberg

* Re: LuaTeX problems
@ 2008-07-02 22:08         ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2008-07-02 22:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Tomi Lindberg wrote:
> 2008/6/30, Wolfgang Schuster <schuster.wolfgang@googlemail.com>:
>
>> What language do you use for your document, indices work in MkIV
>>  currently only for english, dutch, czech and german.
>
> My document is in Finnish so that certainly explains it. As I'm not on
> a computer with ConTeXt Minimals at the moment, I must ask if this
> also means that MkIV doesn't hyphenate other languages correctly (I
> didn't inspect my result that closely and I've been busy with other
> stuff the last few days)?

it should work ok; patterns are loaded on demand in mkiv

(btw index sorting, when not defined for a language, uses the english
sort order)

> By quick Googling it seems that none of them sort in "Finnish" way. Is
> adding a language support big effort or more on the quick 'n' easy
> side of things? Being quite new to this I wouldn't really like to
> bother you with guiding me through any major task.

we just need an order (see sort-lan.lua)

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE