* \index versus makeindex.
@ 2008-07-18 17:38 John Culleton
From: John Culleton @ 2008-07-18 17:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

Usually I use makeindex for indexing but for my current job I thought
the Context \index command would be convenient. However I discovered
that the \index command does not provide for page ranges. If I index
the same item on pages 46, 47, 48, and 49 makeindex will collapse
this into a range of 46-49.  Context won't.

I looked at the book.tuo file but it does not look like something I
can hand-modify.

Is there a work-around I have missed or must I revert to makeindex to
get a proper index?

I am ccing Hans because my posts don't seem to make their way to the
list for some reason.  Perhaps Comcast has torpedoed me once again.
--
John Culleton

* Re: \index versus makeindex.
@ 2008-07-21  6:16 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2008-07-21  6:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, Jul 18, 2008 at 7:38 PM, John Culleton <john@wexfordpress.com> wrote:
> Usually I use makeindex for indexing but for my current job I thought
> the Context \index command would be convenient. However I discovered
> that the \index command does not provide for page ranges. If I index
> the same item on pages 46, 47, 48, and 49 makeindex will collapse
> this into a range of 46-49.  Context won't.
>
> I looked at the book.tuo file but it does not look like something I
> can hand-modify.
>
> Is there a work-around I have missed or must I revert to makeindex to
> get a proper index?
>
> I am ccing Hans because my posts don't seem to make their way to the
> list for some reason.  Perhaps Comcast has torpedoed me once again.

\placeindex[compress=yes]

Regards,
Wolfgang

* Re: \index versus makeindex.
@ 2008-07-23 12:50   ` John Culleton
From: John Culleton @ 2008-07-23 12:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Monday 21 July 2008 02:16:04 am Wolfgang Schuster wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 18, 2008 at 7:38 PM, John Culleton
<john@wexfordpress.com> wrote:
> > Usually I use makeindex for indexing but for my current job I
> > thought the Context \index command would be convenient. However I
> > discovered that the \index command does not provide for page
> > ranges. If I index the same item on pages 46, 47, 48, and 49
> > makeindex will collapse this into a range of 46-49.  Context
> > won't.
> >
> > I looked at the book.tuo file but it does not look like something
> > I can hand-modify.
> >
> > Is there a work-around I have missed or must I revert to
> > makeindex to get a proper index?
> >
> > I am ccing Hans because my posts don't seem to make their way to
> > the list for some reason.  Perhaps Comcast has torpedoed me once
> > again.
>
> \placeindex[compress=yes]
>
> Regards,
> Wolfgang

your suggestion to use compress=yes works well.  Thanks. Such
compression is essential in many works. Now I wonder if there is a
Context command like eplain's range commands which occur in pairs:
\sidx[begin]{foo}
\sidx[end]{foo}

The same effect in LaTeX is a bit more cryptic:
\index{foo|(}
\index{foo|)}

Either form includes all the pages between the two commands as entries
under foo, e.g.,
foo 24-68

This facility may exist but the Context manual is a bit hard to follow
on indexing.

--
John Culleton

* Re: \index versus makeindex.
@ 2008-07-23 13:03     ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2008-07-23 13:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Jul 23, 2008 at 2:50 PM, John Culleton <john@wexfordpress.com> wrote:
> On Monday 21 July 2008 02:16:04 am Wolfgang Schuster wrote:
>> On Fri, Jul 18, 2008 at 7:38 PM, John Culleton
> <john@wexfordpress.com> wrote:
>> > Usually I use makeindex for indexing but for my current job I
>> > thought the Context \index command would be convenient. However I
>> > discovered that the \index command does not provide for page
>> > ranges. If I index the same item on pages 46, 47, 48, and 49
>> > makeindex will collapse this into a range of 46-49.  Context
>> > won't.
>> >
>> > I looked at the book.tuo file but it does not look like something
>> > I can hand-modify.
>> >
>> > Is there a work-around I have missed or must I revert to
>> > makeindex to get a proper index?
>> >
>> > I am ccing Hans because my posts don't seem to make their way to
>> > the list for some reason.  Perhaps Comcast has torpedoed me once
>> > again.
>>
>> \placeindex[compress=yes]
>>
>> Regards,
>> Wolfgang
>
> your suggestion to use compress=yes works well.  Thanks. Such
> compression is essential in many works. Now I wonder if there is a
> Context command like eplain's range commands which occur in pairs:
> \sidx[begin]{foo}
> \sidx[end]{foo}
>
> The same effect in LaTeX is a bit more cryptic:
> \index{foo|(}
> \index{foo|)}
>
> Either form includes all the pages between the two commands as entries
> under foo, e.g.,
> foo 24-68

\startregister[index][knuthrange]{knuth}
\stopregister[index][knuthrange]

Don't know why it is not possible to use \startindex ... \stopindex as short
form for \startregister[index] ... \stopregister[index]

> This facility may exist but the Context manual is a bit hard to follow
> on indexing.

The list has many example, you should use "index", "register" or
"Steffen Wolfrum" in the search field to find them.

Regards,
Wolfgang