* inframed : makes a newline
@ 2008-08-20  9:38 Eric DÉTREZ
From: Eric DÉTREZ @ 2008-08-20  9:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello

When I use a inframed command at the start of a line it doesn't allow
to be continued by text :

\starttext
blabla \inframed{essai} blabla

\inframed{essai} blabla
\stoptext
gives

------------------
blabla framed{essai} blabla
framed{essai}
blabla
------------------

I expected
------------------
blabla framed{essai} blabla
framed{essai} blabla

* Re: inframed : makes a newline
@ 2008-08-20 10:47 ` Peter Rolf
From: Peter Rolf @ 2008-08-20 10:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

Eric DÉTREZ schrieb:
> Hello
>
> When I use a inframed command at the start of a line it doesn't allow
> to be continued by text :

> \starttext
> blabla \inframed{essai} blabla
>

> \inframed{essai} blabla
> \stoptext
> gives
>
> ------------------
> blabla framed{essai} blabla
> framed{essai}
> blabla
> ------------------
>
> I expected
> ------------------
> blabla framed{essai} blabla
> framed{essai} blabla
> ------------------
>
> Is it anything to do ?

\dontleavehmode\inframed

A \framed at the beginning of a paragraph starts in vertical mode (stuff
is ordered vertically). The macro \dontleavehmode ensures, that the
horizontal mode is used.

Best wishes, Peter

* Re: inframed : makes a newline
@ 2008-08-20 18:32   ` Peter Münster
From: Peter Münster @ 2008-08-20 18:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Aug 20 2008, Peter Rolf wrote:

> A \framed at the beginning of a paragraph starts in vertical mode (stuff
> is ordered vertically). The macro \dontleavehmode ensures, that the
> horizontal mode is used.

Hello,

Could you now change this behaviour please in MKIV? I think MKIV does not
need to be backward compatible everywhere.

For beginners (especially former LaTeX users), this is a real headache:
\framed, \externalfigure and so on start sometimes a new paragraph, and
sometimes not. In my opinion, these commands should behave like a simple
hbox.

Cheers, Peter

--
http://pmrb.free.fr/contact/

* Re: inframed : makes a newline
@ 2008-08-21  7:29     ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2008-08-21  7:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Aug 20, 2008 at 8:32 PM, Peter Münster <pmlists@free.fr> wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 20 2008, Peter Rolf wrote:
>
>> A \framed at the beginning of a paragraph starts in vertical mode (stuff
>> is ordered vertically). The macro \dontleavehmode ensures, that the
>> horizontal mode is used.
>
> Hello,
>
> Could you now change this behaviour please in MKIV? I think MKIV does not
> need to be backward compatible everywhere.

You forgot cases where this behavious is wanted and you would use one
\framed block on top of another one.

> For beginners (especially former LaTeX users), this is a real headache:
> \framed, \externalfigure and so on start sometimes a new paragraph, and
> sometimes not. In my opinion, these commands should behave like a simple
> hbox.

But this is exactly what \framed does.

\starttext
\framed{text}
\framed{text}
\hbox{text}
\hbox{text}
\stoptext

What you want produce also unwanted results in other commands.

\starttext
\placefigure
  {Centered?}
  {\dontleavehmode\framed{No!}}
\stoptext

Wolfgang

* Re: inframed : makes a newline
@ 2008-08-21  9:23       ` Peter Münster
From: Peter Münster @ 2008-08-21  9:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Aug 21 2008, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:

> > For beginners (especially former LaTeX users), this is a real headache:
> > \framed, \externalfigure and so on start sometimes a new paragraph, and
> > sometimes not. In my opinion, these commands should behave like a simple
> > hbox.
>
> But this is exactly what \framed does.
>
> \starttext
> \framed{text}
> \framed{text}
> \hbox{text}
> \hbox{text}
> \stoptext

Oh, you're right, I was pretty sure, that \hbox behaved like a normal
letter...
Ok, then I would rather like to compare this with \parbox and
\includegraphics from LaTeX: they behave like normal letters.
Perhaps I've just spent too much of my life-time with LaTeX... :(

> What you want produce also unwanted results in other commands.
>
> \starttext
> \placefigure
>   {Centered?}
>   {\dontleavehmode\framed{No!}}
> \stoptext

I don't know, why this is not centred, but I would say, that
\placefigure{Centred?}{\framed{test}}
and
\placefigure{Centred?}{test}
should behave the same way.

Cheers, Peter

--
http://pmrb.free.fr/contact/

* Re: inframed : makes a newline
@ 2008-08-21  9:48         ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2008-08-21  9:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Aug 21, 2008 at 11:23 AM, Peter Münster <pmlists@free.fr> wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 21 2008, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:
>
>> > For beginners (especially former LaTeX users), this is a real headache:
>> > \framed, \externalfigure and so on start sometimes a new paragraph, and
>> > sometimes not. In my opinion, these commands should behave like a simple
>> > hbox.
>>
>> But this is exactly what \framed does.
>>
>> \starttext
>> \framed{text}
>> \framed{text}
>> \hbox{text}
>> \hbox{text}
>> \stoptext
>
> Oh, you're right, I was pretty sure, that \hbox behaved like a normal
> letter...

AFAIK this was also in one of the exercises in the TeXbook, a \hbox in
vertical let you remain in vertical mode.

> Ok, then I would rather like to compare this with \parbox and
> \includegraphics from LaTeX: they behave like normal letters.
> Perhaps I've just spent too much of my life-time with LaTeX... :(
>

>> What you want produce also unwanted results in other commands.
>>
>> \starttext
>> \placefigure
>>   {Centered?}
>>   {\dontleavehmode\framed{No!}}
>> \stoptext
>
> I don't know, why this is not centred, but I would say, that
> \placefigure{Centred?}{\framed{test}}
> and
> \placefigure{Centred?}{test}
> should behave the same way.

In this yes but in my example the \dontleavehmodein front of \framed
forced TeX to go in horizontal mode and to use \hsize as width for
the float box.

\starttext
\ruledvbox{\hbox{text}}
\ruledvbox{\dontleavehmode\hbox{text}}