* Feature request: \newitemize or something like this
@ 2008-08-27  8:03 Marcin Borkowski
From: Marcin Borkowski @ 2008-08-27  8:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi there!

I have a feature request (or a question "how to do it";)) concerning
itemizations.  Currently, they are much like LaTeX (say, with the
enumitem package).  I think this is not the best idea.  I can hardly
imagine using more than two levels of itemize in my documents; on the
other hand, I like to introduce different "kinds" of itemize on the
_first_ level.  Imagine I'm typesetting a paper on mathematics (which
I'm doing all the time;)).  I want another kind of itemize for lists of:
* equivalent conditions (as in: "the following are equivalent: ...");
* statements connected by an "or" clause (as in: "at least one of these
  holds: ...";
* statements connected by an "and" clause (as in: "assume that these
  conditions are satisfied: ...").

What I usually do (in LaTeX) is to define a few environments, like
"equivenumerate", "orenumerate", "andenumerate" etc., and make them use
(a), (b), ..., (i), (ii), ..., or (1), (2), ... respectively.  This way
I have a clear visual clue in my papers on what's going where, and on
the other hand, I separate content and presentation.

Would it be possible in ConTeXt?  If yes, how to do this?  Maybe it's
worth mentioning in the new manual?

(As usual, I'll try to post the answer on the wiki when I have some
spare time!)

--
Marcin Borkowski (http://mbork.faculty.fmcs.amu.edu.pl)

* Re: Feature request: \newitemize or something like this
@ 2008-08-27  8:12 ` Wolfgang Schuster
                     ` (3 more replies)
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2008-08-27  8:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Aug 27, 2008 at 10:03 AM, Marcin Borkowski
<mbork@atos.wmid.amu.edu.pl> wrote:
> Hi there!
>
> I have a feature request (or a question "how to do it";)) concerning
> itemizations.  Currently, they are much like LaTeX (say, with the
> enumitem package).  I think this is not the best idea.  I can hardly
> imagine using more than two levels of itemize in my documents; on the
> other hand, I like to introduce different "kinds" of itemize on the
> _first_ level.  Imagine I'm typesetting a paper on mathematics (which
> I'm doing all the time;)).  I want another kind of itemize for lists of:
> * equivalent conditions (as in: "the following are equivalent: ...");
> * statements connected by an "or" clause (as in: "at least one of these
>  holds: ...";
> * statements connected by an "and" clause (as in: "assume that these
>  conditions are satisfied: ...").
>
> What I usually do (in LaTeX) is to define a few environments, like
> "equivenumerate", "orenumerate", "andenumerate" etc., and make them use
> (a), (b), ..., (i), (ii), ..., or (1), (2), ... respectively.  This way
> I have a clear visual clue in my papers on what's going where, and on
> the other hand, I separate content and presentation.
>
> Would it be possible in ConTeXt?  If yes, how to do this?  Maybe it's
> worth mentioning in the new manual?
>
> (As usual, I'll try to post the answer on the wiki when I have some
> spare time!)

Take a look at page 20.

http://wolfgang.schuster.googlepages.com/erlangen.pdf

Wolfgang

* Re: Feature request: \newitemize or something like this
@ 2008-08-27  8:23   ` Thomas A. Schmitz
                     ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Thomas A. Schmitz @ 2008-08-27  8:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Aug 27, 2008, at 10:12 AM, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:

> Take a look at page 20.
>
> http://wolfgang.schuster.googlepages.com/erlangen.pdf
>
> Wolfgang

Hey, that's an excellent presentation. When/where did you give it?

Thomas

* Re: Feature request: \newitemize or something like this
@ 2008-08-27  8:30     ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2008-08-27  8:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Aug 27, 2008 at 10:23 AM, Thomas A. Schmitz
<thomas.schmitz@uni-bonn.de> wrote:

> On Aug 27, 2008, at 10:12 AM, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:
>
>> Take a look at page 20.
>>
>> http://wolfgang.schuster.googlepages.com/erlangen.pdf
>>
>> Wolfgang
>
> Hey, that's an excellent presentation. When/where did you give it?

2. August in Erlangen (footer right margin ;-)

http://home.vr-web.de/was/stammtisch.html#bayerntreff

Wolfgang

* Re: Feature request: \newitemize or something like this
@ 2008-08-27  8:37   ` Marcin Borkowski
From: Marcin Borkowski @ 2008-08-27  8:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dnia Wed, Aug 27, 2008 at 10:12:16AM +0200, Wolfgang Schuster napisa&#322;(a):
> On Wed, Aug 27, 2008 at 10:03 AM, Marcin Borkowski
> <mbork@atos.wmid.amu.edu.pl> wrote:
 > What I usually do (in LaTeX) is to define a few environments, like
> > "equivenumerate", "orenumerate", "andenumerate" etc., and make them use
> > (a), (b), ..., (i), (ii), ..., or (1), (2), ... respectively.  This way
> > I have a clear visual clue in my papers on what's going where, and on
> > the other hand, I separate content and presentation.
> >
> > Would it be possible in ConTeXt?  If yes, how to do this?  Maybe it's
> > worth mentioning in the new manual?

> Take a look at page 20.
>
> http://wolfgang.schuster.googlepages.com/erlangen.pdf
>
> Wolfgang

Hey, that's just WOW!!!  It's a pity it's in German - I'll have to
recall what I learned about that language a looong time ago...

But thanks, thanks a million times!

Greets

--

@ 2008-08-30 20:45   ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2008-08-30 20:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 2008-08-27 um 10:12 schrieb Wolfgang Schuster:

> http://wolfgang.schuster.googlepages.com/erlangen.pdf

Really nice! I should steal that to renew my own presentations... ;-)

Unfortunately it's full of typos.

Greetlings from Lake Constance!
Hraban
---
http://www.fiee.net/texnique/
http://wiki.contextgarden.net
https://www.cacert.org (I'm an assurer)

* Re: Feature request: \newitemize or something like this
                     ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2008-09-01  8:23   ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2008-09-01  8:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Aug 27, 2008 at 10:12 AM, Wolfgang Schuster
<schuster.wolfgang@googlemail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 27, 2008 at 10:03 AM, Marcin Borkowski
> <mbork@atos.wmid.amu.edu.pl> wrote:
>> Hi there!
>>
>> I have a feature request (or a question "how to do it";)) concerning
>> itemizations.  Currently, they are much like LaTeX (say, with the
>> enumitem package).  I think this is not the best idea.  I can hardly
>> imagine using more than two levels of itemize in my documents; on the
>> other hand, I like to introduce different "kinds" of itemize on the
>> _first_ level.  Imagine I'm typesetting a paper on mathematics (which
>> I'm doing all the time;)).  I want another kind of itemize for lists of:
>> * equivalent conditions (as in: "the following are equivalent: ...");
>> * statements connected by an "or" clause (as in: "at least one of these
>>  holds: ...";
>> * statements connected by an "and" clause (as in: "assume that these
>>  conditions are satisfied: ...").
>>
>> What I usually do (in LaTeX) is to define a few environments, like
>> "equivenumerate", "orenumerate", "andenumerate" etc., and make them use
>> (a), (b), ..., (i), (ii), ..., or (1), (2), ... respectively.  This way
>> I have a clear visual clue in my papers on what's going where, and on
>> the other hand, I separate content and presentation.
>>
>> Would it be possible in ConTeXt?  If yes, how to do this?  Maybe it's
>> worth mentioning in the new manual?
>>
>> (As usual, I'll try to post the answer on the wiki when I have some
>> spare time!)
>

> Take a look at page 20.
>
> http://wolfgang.schuster.googlepages.com/erlangen.pdf

The source is also available: http://wolfgang.schuster.googlepages.com/baytex