* How to influence hyphenation points in URLs?
@ 2008-10-13  9:23 Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2008-10-13  9:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

I have many really bad breaking points in URLs (both produced with bib
module and with
\useURL[bla][http://www.very-very-very-very-very-long-bla.com]\from[bla],
or \hyphenatedurl, doesn't matter). Is there any way to influence
breaking points in those URLs manually? For normal words there exists
\hyphenate{...}, but how to handle urls?

(I have the interction turned off if that matters.)

I faintly remember some discussion about preparing hyphenation
patterns for URLs (like: never try to break http:// or after ~, try to
put slash at the end of first part). Would that solve the issue? I
sometimes try to replace space and _ in wikipedia URLs and results are
totally random, but in general all of them breaking really bad -
leaving several letters too much in each line.

Thanks a lot,
    Mojca

* Re: How to influence hyphenation points in URLs?
@ 2008-10-13 15:49 ` Steffen Wolfrum
From: Steffen Wolfrum @ 2008-10-13 15:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 13.10.2008 um 11:23 schrieb Mojca Miklavec:

> I have many really bad breaking points in URLs (both produced with bib
> module and with
> \useURL[bla][http://www.very-very-very-very-very-long-bla.com]
> \from[bla],
> or \hyphenatedurl, doesn't matter). Is there any way to influence
> breaking points in those URLs manually? For normal words there exists
> \hyphenate{...}, but how to handle urls?

Yes, this is really a need as quoting URLs gets more and more used.
A manual force (like \- for nor normal words) would be helpful too.

Steffen

* Re: How to influence hyphenation points in URLs?
@ 2008-10-14  6:48   ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2008-10-14  6:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, Oct 13, 2008 at 5:49 PM, Steffen Wolfrum <context@st.estfiles.de> wrote:

> Am 13.10.2008 um 11:23 schrieb Mojca Miklavec:
>
>> I have many really bad breaking points in URLs (both produced with bib
>> module and with
>> \useURL[bla][http://www.very-very-very-very-very-long-bla.com]
>> \from[bla],
>> or \hyphenatedurl, doesn't matter). Is there any way to influence
>> breaking points in those URLs manually? For normal words there exists
>> \hyphenate{...}, but how to handle urls?
>

> Yes, this is really a need as quoting URLs gets more and more used.
> A manual force (like \- for nor normal words) would be helpful too.

You could change the hyphenation points with:

- \sethyphenatedurlnormal
- \sethyphenatedurlbefore
- \sethyphenatedurlafter

Wolfgang