From: "Wolfgang Schuster" <schuster.wolfgang@googlemail.com>
Subject: Re: Persian interface
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2008 08:43:15 +0200	[thread overview]

On Thu, Oct 23, 2008 at 6:31 AM, Mehdi Omidali <mehdioa@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 10/21/08, Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:
>> Mehdi Omidali wrote:
>>> Hi everyone,
>>> I want to be able to use persian interface in context. So I tried to
>>> create two files cont-pe.xml and cont-pe.tex for this purpose. Now my
>>> questions are:
>>> 1- Am I supposed to just create these two files and then run context
>>> --make cont-pe.
>>> 2- Can context accept these two files in UTF-8 encoding.
>>
>> you need to adapt mult-con and mult-com but at the same time we need to
>> adapt mult-sys, so as an experiment if things work out ok, just play a
>> bit with mult-con/com e.g. replace a few harmless commands in the
>> english interface and see if things work ok for persian
>>
>> footnote: voetnoot                         footnote
>>            fussnote                         poznamkapodcarou
>>            notapdp                          notasubsol
>>            notepdp
>>

>> eventually persian can become the 8th entry
>>
>> footnote: voetnoot                         somethingpersian
>>            fussnote                         poznamkapodcarou
>>            notapdp                          notasubsol
>>            notepdp
>>

>> \somethingpersian then should give you a footnote
>>
>> (we never really tested it with utf8 input so far)
>>
>> (when i have time i will (for luatex) make this mechanism different i.e.
>> just lua tables from which i then can generate the con/com files)
> Hi Hans and everybody,
> I did as you said and saw two things.
> 1- The good news: it is possible to assign another name (even persian)
> for an option name. For example the word "packed" which is used as an
> option in some commands like \setupitemize works well if you
> substitute it with anything.
> 2- The bad news: names of commands (I mean words that is used in the
> input file with a backslash in front of them like footnote or
> setupsomething) are not well behaved if we change them in
> mult.con.tex. I tried to change for example the word "footnote" with a
> persian word with more than one character and in the running time I
> got the error that that command is not defined. But I was able to
> redefine footnote with a just one (persian) character.

You need characters with catcode 11 for the commands and most of the
chars outside the ASCII range have catcode 12 which can be used only
in commands with the length 1 like your footnote example.

Here is a example how to use umlauts for the german interface:

\catcode`ü=11

\startcommands                    dutch                            english
                                  german                           czech
                                  italian                          romanian
                                  french

                                  definittete
                       setuphead: stelkopin                        setuphead
                                  stelleüberschriftein             nastavnadpis
                                  impostatesta                     seteazatitlu
                                  regletete

\stopcommands

Wolfgang