* Re: setupwhitespace
       [not found] <mailman.1573.1226582749.31525.ntg-context@ntg.nl>
@ 2008-11-13 14:17 ` richard.stephens
From: richard.stephens @ 2008-11-13 14:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

> > Hello All,
> >
> > I have a document in two columns and I need about 3mm vertical spacing
> > between paragraphs.
> >
> > I've tried
> >  \setupwhitespace[small]
> > and
> >  \setupwhitespace[3mm]
> > but neither looks any different from \setupwhitespace[medium]or [big].
> >
> > \setupwhitespace[none] gives no space.
> >
> > There is a previous mailing in the archives which suggests that columns
> > don't use \setupwhitespace,
> > and there's a suggestion to use
> >  \defineblank[default][3mm]
> > but that doesn't seem to do anything either.
>
> This is a feature of the columns environment.
>
> > Any suggestions?
>
> \startcolumns
>
> \setupwhitespace[...]
>
> bla bla bla ...
>
> \stopcolumns
>
> Wolfgang

Thanks Wolfgang, that works a treat!

What else changes when I switch over to columns?  Do I need a whole new
environment within columns?

* Re: setupwhitespace
@ 2008-11-13 14:37   ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2008-11-13 14:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Nov 13, 2008 at 3:17 PM,  <richard.stephens@converteam.com> wrote:
>> > Hello All,
>> >
>> > I have a document in two columns and I need about 3mm vertical spacing
>> > between paragraphs.
>> >
>> > I've tried
>> >  \setupwhitespace[small]
>> > and
>> >  \setupwhitespace[3mm]
>> > but neither looks any different from \setupwhitespace[medium]or [big].
>> >
>> > \setupwhitespace[none] gives no space.
>> >
>> > There is a previous mailing in the archives which suggests that columns
>> > don't use \setupwhitespace,
>> > and there's a suggestion to use
>> >  \defineblank[default][3mm]
>> > but that doesn't seem to do anything either.
>>
>> This is a feature of the columns environment.
>>
>> > Any suggestions?
>>
>> \startcolumns
>>
>> \setupwhitespace[...]
>>
>> bla bla bla ...
>>
>> \stopcolumns
>>
>> Wolfgang
>

> Thanks Wolfgang, that works a treat!
>
> What else changes when I switch over to columns?  Do I need a whole new
> environment within columns?

\setupwhitespace should be enough but you could define a new environment
and hide the setup in the environment file.

\definestartstop
  [mycolumns]
  [before=\startcolumns,
   after=\stopcolumns,
   commands=\directsetup{mycolumn:setup}]

\startsetups mycolumn:setup

\setupwhitespace[...]

\stopsetups

\starttext

\startmycolumns

text text text ...

\stopmycolumns

\stoptext

Wolfgang

* Re: setupwhitespace
       [not found] <mailman.1577.1226589782.31525.ntg-context@ntg.nl>
@ 2008-11-13 16:16 ` richard.stephens
From: richard.stephens @ 2008-11-13 16:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

> > What else changes when I switch over to columns?  Do I need a whole new
> > environment within columns?
>
> \setupwhitespace should be enough but you could define a new environment
> and hide the setup in the environment file.
>
> \definestartstop
>   [mycolumns]
>   [before=\startcolumns,
>    after=\stopcolumns,
>    commands=\directsetup{mycolumn:setup}]
>
> \startsetups mycolumn:setup
>
> \setupwhitespace[...]
>
> \stopsetups
>
> \starttext
>
> \startmycolumns
>
> text text text ...
>
> \stopmycolumns
>
> \stoptext
>
> Wolfgang

Thanks again - that's just what I was looking for!

Richard

* Re: setupwhitespace
@ 2008-11-13 13:25 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2008-11-13 13:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Nov 13, 2008 at 10:51 AM,  <richard.stephens@converteam.com> wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> I have a document in two columns and I need about 3mm vertical spacing
> between paragraphs.
>
> I've tried
>  \setupwhitespace[small]
> and
>  \setupwhitespace[3mm]
> but neither looks any different from \setupwhitespace[medium]or [big].
>
> \setupwhitespace[none] gives no space.
>
> There is a previous mailing in the archives which suggests that columns
> don't use \setupwhitespace,
> and there's a suggestion to use
>  \defineblank[default][3mm]
> but that doesn't seem to do anything either.

This is a feature of the columns environment.

> Any suggestions?

\startcolumns

\setupwhitespace[...]

bla bla bla ...