I asked this question a couple of days ago, but didn't get any takers. I don't want to be a pest, but it's frustrating to be so close yet unable to solve this final problem. Let's see if rephrasing the question helps. I'm trying to use \doifnumberelse in a \setuplist numbercommand= but it isn't working. The simplified example below shows the very specific table of contents layout I'm trying to accomplish. You will note that both the chapter number and the appendix letter are labeled with "Appendix" when in fact I want the chapter to be labeled "Chapter". Does anyone know either (a) how to get \doifnumberelse to work in this situation or (b) if there's a better way I should have done this instead. ----- \def\mychapterlistnumber#1{\vbox{% \doifnumberelse{#1}{Chapter}{Appendix} #1\crlf}} \def\mysectionlistnumber#1{\emspace\emspace} \def\mysectionlisttext#1{% \doifelse{#1}{Lab Tasks}{\hskip-1em\bf#1\hfilll}{#1}} \setuplist[chapter][width=1em,numberstyle=bold,% numbercommand=\mychapterlistnumber,textstyle=bold] \setuplist[section][width=2em,numbercommand=\mysectionlistnumber,% textcommand=\mysectionlisttext] \starttext \bgroup{}Table of Contents\egroup\par \startcolumns[n=2,distance=.3in,balance=no] \bgroup \placelist[chapter,section][criterium=all,alternative=b] \egroup \stopcolumns \page \chapter{Foo} \section{Bar} \input knuth \startappendices \chapter{Corge} \section{Grault} \input zapf \stopappendices \stoptext ----- -- Stuart Jansen Guru Labs, L.C.