* texts in \component files are not present
@ 2009-05-10 15:29 Wei-Wei Guo
From: Wei-Wei Guo @ 2009-05-10 15:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ConTeXt users

Dear all,

Text in component files are not included in the attached example. I also put the log
file in it. The log shows that the component files were found and complied but their
texts were not present in the generated pdf file.

I'm not sure whether I did anything wrong in the example or not. I checked many time
and didn't find anything.

Best wishes,
Wei-Wei

[-- Attachment #2: test.tgz --]

* Re: texts in \component files are not present
@ 2009-05-10 15:42 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2009-05-10 15:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

Wei-Wei Guo wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> Text in component files are not included in the attached example. I also
> put the log
> file in it. The log shows that the component files were found and
> complied but their
> texts were not present in the generated pdf file.
>
> I'm not sure whether I did anything wrong in the example or not. I
> checked many time
> and didn't find anything.

runs ok here; i see cache filling in the log; does that happen each run?

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2009-05-10 17:15 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2009-05-10 17:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 10.05.2009 um 17:29 schrieb Wei-Wei Guo:

> Dear all,
>
> Text in component files are not included in the attached example. I
> also put the log
> file in it. The log shows that the component files were found and
> complied but their
> texts were not present in the generated pdf file.
>
> I'm not sure whether I did anything wrong in the example or not. I
> checked many time
> and didn't find anything.

Works OK for me but I found a few you could/should change.

1. Don't use project files as top level file for your document, use
product and
    components (which can be nested) files only, projects are meta
file when you
    have many document with the same topic (e.g. a magazine etc.)

2. You can write \usepath[kaka,leasure] in your environment files and
write
    in test.tex

      \component leasure
      \component kaka

    ConTeXt looks now in both directories for the files leasure.tex
and kaka.tex
    but take care to use unique filenames.

Wolfgang

* Re: texts in \component files are not present
@ 2009-05-11  0:25   ` Wei-Wei Guo
From: Wei-Wei Guo @ 2009-05-11  0:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans Hagen 写道:

>> Text in component files are not included in the attached example. I
>> also put the log
>> file in it. The log shows that the component files were found and
>> complied but their
>> texts were not present in the generated pdf file.
>>
>> I'm not sure whether I did anything wrong in the example or not. I
>> checked many time
>> and didn't find anything.
>
> runs ok here;

It runs ok here too, but the texts, like "Text of leasure.", are not present.
Actually the whole contents of \component files are missing. Do your generated
pdf has lines like "Text of leasure." or "Text of kaka."?

 > i see cache filling in the log; does that happen each run?

Do you mean the info in the log? The log info seems the same in each run.

Best wishes,
Wei-Wei

* Re: texts in \component files are not present
@ 2009-05-11  0:32   ` Wei-Wei Guo
From: Wei-Wei Guo @ 2009-05-11  0:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Wolfgang Schuster 写道:

>> Text in component files are not included in the attached example. I
>> also put the log
>> file in it. The log shows that the component files were found and
>> complied but their
>> texts were not present in the generated pdf file.
>>
>> I'm not sure whether I did anything wrong in the example or not. I
>> checked many time
>> and didn't find anything.
>
> Works OK for me but I found a few you could/should change.
>
> 1. Don't use project files as top level file for your document, use
> product and
>    components (which can be nested) files only, projects are meta file
> when you
>    have many document with the same topic (e.g. a magazine etc.)

A magazine is really one of my purposes. :)

> 2. You can write \usepath[kaka,leasure] in your environment files and write
>    in test.tex
>
>      \component leasure
>      \component kaka
>
>    ConTeXt looks now in both directories for the files leasure.tex and
> kaka.tex
>    but take care to use unique filenames.

After adding \usepath[kaka,leasure], the texts in \component present, but, as the
caution you mentioned, since I have two files with the same name, i.e. mytime.tex,
only the file in kaka/ is added and is added twice. Although \usepath can partly
solve my problem, it limits flexibility.

Best wishes,
Wei-Wei

* Re: texts in \component files are not present
@ 2009-05-11  6:34     ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2009-05-11  6:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 2009-05-11 um 02:32 schrieb Wei-Wei Guo:

>> 1. Don't use project files as top level file for your document, use
>> product and
>>   components (which can be nested) files only, projects are meta
>> file when you
>>   have many document with the same topic (e.g. a magazine etc.)
>
> A magazine is really one of my purposes. :)

Then "the magazine" is your project, one issue is a product, one
article is a component.

For something similar I use a directory for the magazine and
subdirectories per product; i.e. project and environment file reside
in the main directory, product and component files in subdirs.

ConTeXt looks for files always in parent directories, so the
environment is always found, but the same component file names can
occurr in several product dirs.

Greetlings from Lake Constance!
Hraban
---
http://www.fiee.net/texnique/
http://wiki.contextgarden.net
https://www.cacert.org (I'm an assurer)

* Re: texts in \component files are not present
@ 2009-05-11 14:53       ` Wei-Wei Guo
From: Wei-Wei Guo @ 2009-05-11 14:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Henning Hraban Ramm 写道:
> Am 2009-05-11 um 02:32 schrieb Wei-Wei Guo:
>
>>> 1. Don't use project files as top level file for your document, use
>>> product and
>>>   components (which can be nested) files only, projects are meta file
>>> when you
>>>   have many document with the same topic (e.g. a magazine etc.)
>>
>> A magazine is really one of my purposes. :)
>
> Then "the magazine" is your project, one issue is a product, one article
> is a component.
>
> For something similar I use a directory for the magazine and
> subdirectories per product; i.e. project and environment file reside in
> the main directory, product and component files in subdirs.
>
> ConTeXt looks for files always in parent directories, so the environment
> is always found, but the same component file names can occurr in several
> product dirs.

Thanks. That's what I'm trying to do, but texts in \component files is not included.
Should I run the product file instead of project file?

Best wishes,
Wei-Wei

* Re: texts in \component files are not present
@ 2009-05-11 14:53         ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2009-05-11 14:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 2009-05-11 um 16:53 schrieb Wei-Wei Guo:

>> Then "the magazine" is your project, one issue is a product, one
>> article is a component.
>> For something similar I use a directory for the magazine and
>> subdirectories per product; i.e. project and environment file
>> reside in the main directory, product and component files in subdirs.
>> ConTeXt looks for files always in parent directories, so the
>> environment is always found, but the same component file names can
>> occurr in several product dirs.
>
> Thanks. That's what I'm trying to do, but texts in \component files
> is not included.
> Should I run the product file instead of project file?

Did you try? That should have been easier than asking...

I don't know why projects wouldn't compile, but products do, I use
them all the time.

@ 2009-05-12  8:12           ` Wei-Wei Guo
From: Wei-Wei Guo @ 2009-05-12  8:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Henning Hraban Ramm 写道:
> Am 2009-05-11 um 16:53 schrieb Wei-Wei Guo:
>
>>> Then "the magazine" is your project, one issue is a product, one
>>> article is a component.
>>> For something similar I use a directory for the magazine and
>>> subdirectories per product; i.e. project and environment file reside
>>> in the main directory, product and component files in subdirs.
>>> ConTeXt looks for files always in parent directories, so the
>>> environment is always found, but the same component file names can
>>> occurr in several product dirs.
>>
>> Thanks. That's what I'm trying to do, but texts in \component files is
>> not included.
>> Should I run the product file instead of project file?
>

> Did you try? That should have been easier than asking...
>
> I don't know why projects wouldn't compile, but products do, I use them
> all the time.

Of cause I tried. I only want to know whether it is designed in that way or
it is a bug.

Best wishes,
Wei-Wei